Half full or half empty?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Help me settle an argument - We are about to leave for the summer and Mr C says that while we are away it is best to leave the car with a full tank of petrol. Is there any practical reason for this?

I don't really see the point, and would much rather spend the money on beer.:cheeky:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Help me settle an argument - We are about to leave for the summer and Mr C says that while we are away it is best to leave the car with a full tank of petrol. Is there any practical reason for this?

I don't really see the point, and would much rather spend the money on beer.:cheeky:
Yes. Less air=less condensation, so the fuel won't get contaminated by water.

Mr. C wins this round.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Since it seems to be the M.O. in the DR lately to steal the fillings out of your gold teeth would they not steal (siphon) the gas out of your car. Value about $5.00 per gallon?

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
If I said, "So there's more for the neighbors to syphon out." It'd be funny but it's the rum talking.....

Cobraboy is correct...and may I add that you might also want to put fuel stabilizer (Sta-bil is the U.S. product) or some type of additive to also help inhibit condensation....

Once the tank is full and the car is put away....BUY BEER!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004

I see here two opposing personalities. Mr. C is a believer in delayed gratification, while the OP is obviously a here-and-now type of person. How do you two get along?

I'm with Chiri on this one, the car (and the petrol) may not be there when you get back! Also, petrol tends to evaporate.

However, if things get nasty, enough to seek a marriage councelor, I would suggest a compromise. How about half a tank full?

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
It is better to leave car with gas (I have had to leave the car for several weeks during summer in the heat before and researched the subject) and also ask someone to drive it once in a while if possible. I forgot what it is for but it is supposed to be bad for a car not to be driven for a long time. Have lots of fun in Europe!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes. Less air=less condensation, so the fuel won't get contaminated by water.

Mr. C wins this round.
That was pretty much the gist of his argument. Thanks.

pyratt said:
Cobraboy is correct...and may I add that you might also want to put fuel stabilizer (Sta-bil is the U.S. product) or some type of additive to also help inhibit condensation....
Thanks for the tip.

Alyonka said:
It is better to leave car with gas (I have had to leave the car for several weeks during summer in the heat before and researched the subject) and also ask someone to drive it once in a while if possible. I forgot what it is for but it is supposed to be bad for a car not to be driven for a long time. Have lots of fun in Europe!
Thank you - I was going to make sure the person who is looking after the apartment starts the car every two or three days.

Mirador said:
I see here two opposing personalities. Mr. C is a believer in delayed gratification, while the OP is obviously a here-and-now type of person. How do you two get along?
Actually we're both instant gratification types, but in this case he was simply overburdened with knowledge, while I was blissfully ignorant.

:paranoid:Now I feel bad for doubting his infinitely superior wisdom and resorting to asking strangers on the internet.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Chiri, Mr C is somewhat right and Cobraboy is correct in pointing out that empty tanks tend to create more condensation. I've always tried to keep my tanks full,...but ONLY in my boats kept in the water where the marine environment contributes to condensation forming in the tanks.

I routinely leave my current boat, a Shamrock, gas-powered inboard that is stored out of the water on a trailer and my Toyota Tundra truck kept in storage in Florida for up to 6 months at a time. I also leave them both with the tanks as EMPTY as possible as when I return, as I want fresh gas to run in them, not gas that has lost it's punch with age and can cause damage to today's fuel-injection systems. And with the crummy quality of the gas we recieve today, this is a REAL problem. If you leave the tank full, when you return you've got a FULL tank of crummy gas to run out unless you drain the tank. Even fuel stabilizers won't fully compensate for this deterioration. And the amount of moisture accumulating in an automotive tank that is relatively SEALED in today's vehicles is minimal and can be easily handled by the replaceable in-line fuel filter.

Another important contribution to condensation build-up is wide temperature variations such as those experienced in the northern US or Canada. Here in the DR, we DON'T have that kind of variation and internal tank condensation in a vehicle isn't as pronounced.

Leave it as empty as possible.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
The only thing I know is that I could not drive to work and had to jump start toyota camry I used to have when I came back after three weeks in Europe. It was left in the summer heat in VA.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
As did Andy B, during all the years Barbara and I were living on our diesel powered cruising sailboat, we tried to keep the fuel tank full to prevent condensation and used something in the fuel to help prevent fungus from growing in the diesel. However, if we were leaving the boat for a length of time, we always drained the tank of anything that used gasoline and then ran it until it stopped running in order to get the gas out of the carburetor. The reason for this was the gas would get gunky and gum up the carburetor, preventing us from starting the motor until the carb was cleaned. When we returned, we bought fresh gas.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
The only thing I know is that I could not drive to work and had to jump start toyota camry I used to have when I came back after three weeks in Europe. It was left in the summer heat in VA.

Having to jump start a car has more to do with a bad battery than bad gas. Also, older cars with carburetors tend to evaporate the gas in the carb (as Ken pointed out) and gunk forms. After fresh gas is introduced into the carb (sometimes after a lot of cranking to refill everything from the fuel pump and subsequently running the battery down), the gunk in the carb is dissolved enough to where the engine will run. This may be why the battery needed to be jumped (other than an old battery that will not hold a charge more than a week or so). I even charge my 3 year's old battery in the truck for several hours before I start it up.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Having to jump start a car has more to do with a bad battery than bad gas. Also, older cars with carburetors tend to evaporate the gas in the carb (as Ken pointed out) and gunk forms. After fresh gas is introduced into the carb (sometimes after a lot of cranking to refill everything from the fuel pump and subsequently running the battery down), the gunk in the carb is dissolved enough to where the engine will run. This may be why the battery needed to be jumped (other than an old battery that will not hold a charge more than a week or so). I even charge my 3 year's old battery in the truck for several hours before I start it up.

Thanks for the reply. This is all very interesting. My camry was about 2 years old when I left for that long trip. I guess battery ran out. It ran fine after I jump started it.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ni lo pienses...

Chiri, I think you know this, but if you don't, I am sure your husband does:

Do not leave the car keys to someone who doesn't have a car!!. And if he/she has a car, make 1,000% sure you write down the mileage on your car the day you leave. AND make sure they see you writting it down.

You know why I say this, right?.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Well Miguel, I offered to lend the car to my sister in law and she said no because she didn't want the responsibility.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Coooooooooooooooomo!!!.

Well Miguel, I offered to lend the car to my sister in law and she said no because she didn't want the responsibility.
Hey, some people love their cars, some don't.

After all the Dominican horror stories, I rather give my car way than to lend it to anybody. That way I don't have to pay for the repairs after they "F" it up!.

Less painful and less stressful.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Chiri,
If you're only going to be gone for a few months, your car does not need to be started every few days. I also agree with not leaving your keys with ANYONE. In fact, I'd leave the car in a very secure place, a locked garage if possible, where it can't be gotten to.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Just make sure the battery terminals are disconnected when you leave.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
A drained fuel system is more prone to rust and corrosion.

I've never had any problem with gunked up carb jets or fuel injectors when I've used a Sta-Bil type product. I would put up boats and jet skis for 6-8 months at a time at the lake house. Sta-Bil is a wonderful product, IMO, when mixed for long term storage.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've lent my car to three different people during previous summers and the worst that happened was (a) one lost set of keys (b) one insignificant dent. I know exactly who to trust, and my SiL's reaction confirms that.

FTR we're away for less than two months, and Mr C will be back earlier and will probably use my car from time to time, so maybe the whole petrol tank/starting the car business is not so crucial after all.