American Student looking for budget Apartment in Santo Domingo

Marlonious

Jun 12, 2007
Hi - my name is Marlon and I'm an American music student who will be living in Santo Domingo from August 1-October 15. I'm looking for an affortable 1-bedroom or studio apartment to rent during this time. I'd ideally like to live in or near the Zona Colonial, but would consider living anywhere that is mostly safe and possible to get around without a car. Does anyone know a good way to find an apartment in DR? Or have one themselves for rent? I don't know much about the housing market in Santo Domingo, but I'm looking to spend $200-350 a month. Is this even possible? I'd also be willing to rent a room in someone elses' apartment. Any imformation would be greatly appreciated.

- Marlon Bishop

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Yes, that's possible. But it might be hard to arrange from outside the DR.
I would rent a hotel room for the first couple of days, buy the monday edition of Listin Diario and other newspapers and look into the classifieds section, or just simply walk around in areas you'd want to live in to ask around and look for for rent signs (in the Zona Colonial many signs with 'for rent for foreigners'), and ask people you know in SD if they know something. A studio, a room in someone else's house, can be found for RD10,000 or less (around UASD campus for instance), an apartment for RD10,000 - 15,000 for a simple but adequate one bedroom apartment. But, it will be a challenge to find something furnished, for just three months, in the zona Colonial, for 10k, 15k more likely. If you can fork out 14,000, call Alejandro 8098589474, who often has apartment for rent in the Zona Colonial and Gazcue.

Marlonious

Jun 12, 2007
Thanks for your responses.

I'm not sure about the current exchange rate, but RD15.000 should be around $450-500? Thats a little steep for me. My budget will be around $800 a month and it doesn't seem prudent to put half of it into rent. By the by, does anybody know if 800/month is a decent amount to live on in Santo Domingo? I know its much higher than the average Dominican income, but capital cities tend to be the most expensive part of many countries. I think your advice about finding a place was excellent, thank you again. I suppose I may have to settle for a different part of the city, which is probobly for the best to be out of the most touristed heart of SD.

To the second poster - I'm intrigued about the budget apartments you offer, but your link was in German (i think!?), a language I can't read. Could you provide me any information in English about these apartments? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- Marlon

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
If you like I have a 3 bed room apt. fully furnished in a very safe area you can come by and take a look. If you like it I can rent you a room in my home. You will have your own private bath. And access to kithcen etc. all areas except the master bedroom. House has computer access, cable T.V. back up elcet. security gates. etc. Excellent breezes two blocks from the water. E-mail me if you like.