Which is the largest tourist attraction?

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I would like to know what the largest single attraction (a resort, museum, building, etc.) in number of visitors per year is, and how many visitors it gets. Ocean World, Playa Dorada, Higuey Basilica, any ideas, factual information, educated guesses?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Ocean World if you're looking at built attractions as opposed to destinations with multiple attractions.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Sosua beach is about the best beach, it may not be the largest tourist wise, but it is the best in my opinion. Lots of vendor huts to buy lots of things. Great beach!

Follow the crowd and you may just lose out on seeing much better places by not getting off the beaten track.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Sosua beach is about the best beach, it may not be the largest tourist wise, but it is the best in my opinion. Lots of vendor huts to buy lots of things. Great beach!

Follow the crowd and you may just lose out on seeing much better places by not getting off the beaten track.

What does this post have to do with the OP's original question?

Please stay on topic....

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
It was my understanding that Playa Dorada was a complex of hotels that people went to for the beaches, etc. Sosua beach to me is a tourist attraction and a must see for any of my friends that come to the Dominican Republic.

My suggestion was also that the OP look at other places that are not necessarily high ranking tourist attractions, and don?t just follow the crowd.

Peace!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am afraid that there are no really reliable statistics to deal with this issue.
On the North Coast, it undoubtedly has to be Ocean World, a sight worth seeing.

In Santiago, it is the Monumento, then the center of town and then the Centro Le?n.

In Santo Domingo, the Colonial Zone, the Botanical Gardens and then the Malecon.

In the east, I would "imagine" that the Altagracia Cathedral in Hig?ey is #1 among Dominicans, but i can't imagine many tourists going there. Perhaps the
Cueva de las Maravillas??

In the South, the Dunes, the Polo Magn?tico, maybe the Indian Circle of Stones in San Juan???

HB

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006

I maybe wrong but I think ggrande is requesting info for research purposes, not for a personal vacation destination. I believe he is a journalist.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
That was my sense as well. Getting accurate numbers of visitors to specific locations will be very difficult. Paid attractions (ie Ocean World) isn't likely to give you that info.

YOu can get reasonably accurate numbers on arrivals etc to the various airports but that is about it.

On the North Coast - Ocean World is our biggest and I believe most visited by paying guests, both foreign and local.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
...In the South, the Dunes, the Polo Magn?tico, maybe the Indian Circle of Stones in San Juan??? HB

HB, you must realize that tourist attractions are relative... By the way, the Indian Circle of Stones between San Juan de la Maguana and Juan de Herrera is gone, its not even a vestige of what it was when I first visited it as a young child. First, it was plowed for farming, then years later it was used as baseball park, and much later, local government authorities placed rocks in order to mimic the original arrangement, which had astronomical significance. I would include visiting the Mountain of San Francisco, near B?nica, and seeking out one of the few dozen specimens of what is known in botany as the Rose of B?nica (Pereskia marcanoi), an endangered species that only grows there. The mountain is the abode of a huge cave, with a center chamber over 100 ft in height, with passages linking the central chamber to associated caves, some still unexplored. During the first week of October, thousands flock to the cave, which is the setting for the second most popular religious pilgrimage in the DR, second only to the celebrations in honor of Nuestra Se?ora de la Altagracia, on January 21st, in Higuey. The Cave of San Francisco in B?nica, along with the Ceboruco cave in Sabaneta, north of Juan de Herrera, were traditional pilgrimage sites for the original inhabitants of Hispaniola.

68j2gd1.jpg

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Humpback whales. Interestingly, nobody has mentioned this attaraction that draws tourists from ALL over the island (and the world). Whale watching in Samana and along the north coast has to be the largest draw of any attraction in the DR.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
I heard that "tens of thousands".......

....annually flock to AZB's comedy/entertainment and bar-b-cue center in Santiago.......does this count?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I am afraid that there are no really reliable statistics to deal with this issue.
On the North Coast, it undoubtedly has to be Ocean World, a sight worth seeing.

In Santiago, it is the Monumento, then the center of town and then the Centro Le?n.

In Santo Domingo, the Colonial Zone, the Botanical Gardens and then the Malecon.

In the east, I would "imagine" that the Altagracia Cathedral in Hig?ey is #1 among Dominicans, but i can't imagine many tourists going there. Perhaps the
Cueva de las Maravillas??

In the South, the Dunes, the Polo Magn?tico, maybe the Indian Circle of Stones in San Juan???

HB
HB, you wouldn't include Lago Enriquillo in the list for the South?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Nobody's mentioned Pico Duarte -- still relatively under-appreciated by tourists, I guess?

Not a particularly touristy place. Climbing Mount Duarte is recommended for experienced trekkers only, and of course, for goats. ;)

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Good series of replies, thanks. Yes, I'm just interested in the numbers, not personal travel tips.
So, Ocean World it seems to be?
Let me rephrase the question. I have the idea that the attraction with most visitors on the island is in fact not in the DR, which would be remarkable. Royal Caribbean has a resort in Haiti, Labadee, a regular stop on their cruises, which gets more than half a million foreign visitors a year (three large ships a week).
Would any attraction (hard to define, I know, but let's not include whole cities or towns or regions with multiple attractions) in the DR get more than that, half a million a year, that's nearly 10,000 a week? Does Ocean World?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Don't know about the other coasts but I would thing the Riu complex (hotels Mambo, Merengue and Bachata) in near POP in Maimon needs to be ruled out at least. Don't know but it is what comes to mind. This complex must have in the region of 1,500 rooms combined?