Purchase of Plywood & Drywall in DR

lumiere987

Jul 4, 2007
I plan on building home in Juan Dolio. Are there distributors in the area or is it more cost effective to import from US.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Buy local, importing will not only kill you in time and hassle, but will be more expensive in the long run. You can buy drywall, plycem etc from a few places in the capital.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Side note when building in the DR

The norm here, is to build with concrete, this includes interior walls. Plywood is not cheap here in the DR, but still cheaper probably then importing it. Besides, hurricanes do come this way fairly often.

Construction Suggestion:
If you do go the concrete route, be sure to plan for the future, such as Phone Outlets, TV Outlets, Electrical Outlets, etc. Better too many, than too few. It?s not very easy to add these items later with concrete interior walls. I would suggest either way that you make each room a separate line back to the electrical panel. At least 2 runs (lights/Outlets), 3 lines if you might later want a room air conditioner installed. That will make it easier to plan for a Generator/Inverter, you will have much better control of what goes on the Generator/Inverter when you have more individual lines going back to the control panel.

Note:
This response may be a little off topic, but since the OP may not know about the building practices in the DR and the needs for a Generator/Inverter, I thought it appropriate to add the above "Construction Suggestion". Better to be aware before starting the construction then to find out the hard way later.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Dry Wall

Do high end projects have drywall put over the concrete construction?

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
John, most "high end" projects ...

....do not use dry wall to cover interior walls. They uses "stucco" finishes. Dry wall is imported into the country and you can find it through sources hardware companies like Ochoa. In the event you have a project that deals with tourism (in a tourism designated area) you can import materials such as dry wall exempted. However, getting this exemption is a process and as many here on this board has shown in the past that even with import "exemptions" that it will not necesssarily be a cost free or an easy process.

However...all this being said....if I were doing a "substantial" project and needed drywall/sheet rock product, I would personally import it so that I could be sure to have the quantity and quality I desired for my project.

good luck, Dave

Last edited:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Exempt under Cafta?

I understand your point-but wouldn't you think that drywall mfg. by a US co. would be exempt from the import/duty?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I understand your point-but wouldn't you think that drywall mfg. by a US co. would be exempt from the import/duty?

No all products are exempt, even if they are made in the USA.
Some exemptions are being fazed in over many years. e.g. cars.

Saying that...

I think you will find many building materials are exempt under CAFTA :)

lumiere987

Jul 4, 2007
concrete construction & Drywall

Thanks for all the answers. I have been in Juan Dolio and have visited many jobsites and of course I have all intention of building in concrete. Plywood is used to fabricate the forms which will hold the concrete until it dries. I intend to build 4 to 5 houses. I have seen one job (right at Villas & Castillo) where they are using drywall for the interior, it certainly gives a better finish and is much faster to apply. I do want to bring into the country a container with tools, generator, and construction equipment and I am wondering whether or not bringing in plywood, wood and drywall may be cost effective. Has anyone had experience bringing in a container into the country? How about a truck? I assume that building in the new Juan Dolio is a tourism area, will taxes be reduced, where do I find this info. Tks. for the help.
Daniel

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
May The "FORCE" Be With You!!!!

You are taking a big "BITE" when you want to come to the DR and start constructing houses!

I have been here for 12 years,built a "Hospital",and a few additions to my house. All in Santo Domingo. I would not go to another town and build. I know a few good contractors,"Maestros" and tradesmen here,"Trial And MANY ERRORS" over the years! But to start a project where I don't know anyone,risky!
Do you know how to buy land here? Have an HONEST lawyer? Know how to assure a clear title? Know the cost for materials,supervision,workers,job site security?? Do you know that I can give you a "Bill-of-Sale" for 50 bags of cement for 12 different prices,the correct price,and 11 for a LOT MORE??? Same goes for all materials,labor,"Permits",anything!
BEST OF LUCK!
Cris Colon

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
When I built my House in Santiago we imported all electrical wiring, lamps, and flooring form NY. Depending on how much you trust your US materials. My father is building a store in Cap Cana Marina an is being done in drywall...............
for interior work pending if your houses will be climate control otherwise I ll will try 4 inch cinder block and use a smooth stucco finish so it close to drywall.

lumiere987

Jul 4, 2007
You are taking a big "BITE" when you want to come to the DR and start constructing houses!

I have been here for 12 years,built a "Hospital",and a few additions to my house. All in Santo Domingo. I would not go to another town and build. I know a few good contractors,"Maestros" and tradesmen here,"Trial And MANY ERRORS" over the years! But to start a project where I don't know anyone,risky!
Do you know how to buy land here? Have an HONEST lawyer? Know how to assure a clear title? Know the cost for materials,supervision,workers,job site security?? Do you know that I can give you a "Bill-of-Sale" for 50 bags of cement for 12 different prices,the correct price,and 11 for a LOT MORE??? Same goes for all materials,labor,"Permits",anything!
BEST OF LUCK!
Cris Colon
I have built houses in France and the US; now I am tackling the DR. I have done research, have made good contacts, I thank you for your advice and pessimism, however at this point I have to go forward. The force hopefully will be with me and I hope that some of this force will come right out of this forum. So please send me contacts and advice. I thank you in advance.
Daniel

lumiere987

Jul 4, 2007
When I built my House in Santiago we imported all electrical wiring, lamps, and flooring form NY. Depending on how much you trust your US materials. My father is building a store in Cap Cana Marina an is being done in drywall...............
for interior work pending if your houses will be climate control otherwise I ll will try 4 inch cinder block and use a smooth stucco finish so it close to drywall.
Was it cost effective to import from NYC? How was customs? What size container can you bring into the DR?

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
container size

Daniel you can send form NY shores a container as large as 40feet will relative low shipping cost. If you load the container your self and have it deliver to the ship yard it will run about 2800 dollars to be sent to Causedo. Taxes well that a big mystery. We where lucky that my mother and my self are both Dominican Citizen are where able to get a tax break due to a law that stats the we are allow to relocate tax free. Now when we where sending material we used the shipping comanyes at 100 dollars for a 4x4x4 box no pounds restrictions and it was deliver toour house with out any added taxes. now thing might be alittle different with the new audana policy but might still be worth it bronging some material. Just thinka sheet fo dry wall 1/4 inch runs about 5USD. and the drywall labor here is not as good as i nthe States.
buena suerte
by the way we use Greeland shiping

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Are you a dry wall man or a butcher??

Good point about drywall labor. It's one thing to put up a 4x8 sheet of drywall BUT quite another thing to know how to tape and apply joint compound. I doubt that the local labor force that does concrete block would kn ow how to do this type of work. Here in NY I taught several workers how to do this using the proper tools, the correct mix/texture of plaster to joint compound and how to apply so as to eliminate a day of sanding.
john

lumiere987

Jul 4, 2007
Daniel you can send form NY shores a container as large as 40feet will relative low shipping cost. If you load the container your self and have it deliver to the ship yard it will run about 2800 dollars to be sent to Causedo. Taxes well that a big mystery. We where lucky that my mother and my self are both Dominican Citizen are where able to get a tax break due to a law that stats the we are allow to relocate tax free. Now when we where sending material we used the shipping comanyes at 100 dollars for a 4x4x4 box no pounds restrictions and it was deliver toour house with out any added taxes. now thing might be alittle different with the new audana policy but might still be worth it bronging some material. Just thinka sheet fo dry wall 1/4 inch runs about 5USD. and the drywall labor here is not as good as i nthe States.
buena suerte
by the way we use Greeland shiping
I really appreciate your response; the info you furnished is the best I have gotten so far. Tks.
Daniel