Is There An Ikea Style Store In The North?

sunlover23

Sep 13, 2005
Does anyone know where you can buy IKEA style furniture and furnishings in the North of the island?I am wanting reasonably priced but seriously modern styles.Everything seems so old fashioned.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Forget about it, you need to come to the capital to find contemporary style furniture. We have 5-6 stores, plus a few real niche stores for lighting etc.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
ah yo ocnsidero que Santiago pertenece mas al norte de la Isla or may central but you can find your furniture in Santiago, bunch of nice stores. Suerte

sunlover23

Sep 13, 2005
Forget about it, you need to come to the capital to find contemporary style furniture. We have 5-6 stores, plus a few real niche stores for lighting etc.

Thanks.If I come to SD will the stores deliver to Sosua do you know and if so is it expensive?
Could you tell me the names of the stores please if they do deliver and some directions.
Thanks

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
It is not hard to arrange for your own delivery as I doubt the Santo Domingo stores will deliver to Sosua (at least I've never heard of that ...). Go buy your stuff, arrange for a reliable fellow with a truck to pick up and make sure you are there to see them load up.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
All of the larger stores in Santiago and the Capital offer delivery to just about anywhere in the country. The delivery may not be included in the price - negotiate.

Stay well,
Amy

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The larger stores in SD will deliver to Sosua, stores like Ilumel II on Lincoln.
Actually Ilumel II has lots of Contemporary furniture at very high prices :)

For lighting, try Luminatti on Maximo Aviles Blonde #133, just round the corner from Von Furniture at the back of Multi Centro on Churchill. Great small shop with some fantastic modern lighting. I brought some office lights from them, way cool!

office_light_1.jpg

Use the search function on this board to find more store details.

e.g. http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/34196-shopping-santo-domingo.html

Your best bet is to come here for a couple of days and drive around.

john3

Apr 10, 2006
Why not show a photo from the IKEA catalogue to a local carpenter and ask him to build it? You will get the style you want, and probably better quality

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
i have already tried four different carpenters. If you are looking for precision and quality, then forget about it. Not that cheap either. Go to SDQ.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Why not show a photo from the IKEA catalogue to a local carpenter and ask him to build it? You will get the style you want, and probably better quality

Good luck with that!

As long as you know more than the carpenter, then you stand a good chance of getting something ok. If not, you will end up using 5-6 different guys before finding one that has a clue.

The #1 problem here is finish, they don't know how to. Most carpenters pick up bad habits and duplicate it to others. Most have no pride in their work and will give you the run-around. I have lost count how many "so called" carpenters we have tried and have yet to find someone half decent, sad but true.

The DR has no formal trade school system, it's all on the job training. That's not a bad thing, as long as the guy showing you knows what he's doing :)

Last edited:

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Furniture

Good luck with that!

As long as you know more than the carpenter, then you stand a good chance of getting something ok. If not, you will end up using 5-6 different guys before finding one that has a clue.

The #1 problem here is finish, they don't know how to. Most carpenters pick up bad habits and duplicate it to others. Most have no pride in their work and will give you the run-around. I have lost count how many "so called" carpenters we have tried and have yet to find someone half decent, sad but true.

The DR has no formal trade school system, it's all on the job training. That's not a bad thing, as long as the guy showing you knows what he's doing :)

I must have got lucky then as I had furniture made, i.e. coffee table, side tables with glass inserts, a hall table, a CD/ video unit and a glass fronted cabinet for the lounge area all in hardwood plus headboard, corner dressing table unit with mirror, and bedside cabinets for the bedroom in pine and I am very happy with it all.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I must have got lucky then as I had furniture made, i.e. coffee table, side tables with glass inserts, a hall table, a CD/ video unit and a glass fronted cabinet for the lounge area all in hardwood plus headboard, corner dressing table unit with mirror, and bedside cabinets for the bedroom in pine and I am very happy with it all.

We too found the most wonderful carpenter 7 years ago & have happily used him ever since. And I did exactly what john3 said: gave a copy of a catalogue from Butlers, High Wycombe, UK & itemised the pieces I wanted copied. The man is a real professional - no glue & nails, joins are dowelled in the old style craftsman fashion. This carpenter produces furniture for Distribudora Gonzalez in Puerto Plata but of course it is less expensive to go directly to the carpenter & that way you get exactly the design you want. I have to disagree with Robert because there is no way I know more than this carpenter about carpentry. In fact I know zilch about how to do it, but I do know a good piece of furniture when I see one.

All it takes is the time & effort to find the right guy. One way is to go to a store which has furniture of a good standard & find out who the craftsman is. Or use the recommendation of another satisfied customer. Whilst I do not doubt the horror stories about pieces of work gone wrong I feel it is unfair to brand all carpenters with the same brush. The good ones are there. I saw it as my responsibility to find one.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Ikea Style

Could you please let me have the names of these stores?

Thank you

John

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

Thank you

John

Luminatti, Von, Ilumel, Hache, Herman Miller, etc etc etc.

I pass contemporary furniture stores that I have no idea of the name.
e.g. Large one next door to Body Shop in Naco.

You need to come to SD and do the research.
As I said, drive around for a few days, do the leg work.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have to disagree with Robert because there is no way I know more than this carpenter about carpentry.

All it takes is the time & effort to find the right guy. One way is to go to a store which has furniture of a good standard & find out who the craftsman is. Or use the recommendation of another satisfied customer. Whilst I do not doubt the horror stories about pieces of work gone wrong I feel it is unfair to brand all carpenters with the same brush. The good ones are there. I saw it as my responsibility to find one.

You got lucky, congratulations. As you said, it takes effort to find the right person. I have lost count of how many people I know that have dealt with bad carpenters, even a few on this board :)

I'm relaying my experiences and that of some other friends/DR1'ers and in my experience, you will find a lot more bad than good carpenters here, that's why I used the word "most".

sunlover23

Sep 13, 2005

Thank you

John

If you get chance to visit any contemporary stores in SD that are good and reasonably priced please would you please would you give me their names?I can't see myself driving around the crazy streets there trying to find somewhere.I live in Sosua so it would be a big journey to make.Thanks

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
We too found the most wonderful carpenter 7 years ago & have happily used him ever since.

Let me ask you, do you know where this carpenter learned his craft??? or does anyone know if there is such a place where young men can go and learn carpentry?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Let me ask you, do you know where this carpenter learned his craft???

Yes from his father and he is now teaching his son. You just follow the genetic inheritance. :) Interesting how we all have different experiences. Having met 2 seriously bad carpenters 15 years ago it has not been a problem for us since then. Maybe because we get better at knowing what to look for? And what to not look for? Now had Robert used the word 'electricians' I would have been forced to agree with him...........:laugh::laugh: