Any new news about El Tablon and La Piedra

RenatoSosua

Bronze
Nov 8, 2006
groups.yahoo.com
July 2007 was supposed to be the month for moving the inhabitants of El Tablon and La Piedra (Sosua) to Villa Liberaci?n behind La Union. Has anybody heard any new news about this move? I know that the people living there are opposed to the move and they protested about it last May.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Last I heard Tablon was set to be moved in about four or five months from now.
Always takes a bit of time to get things done.

La Piedras will be next but will be a while after that.
Saw the apartments that they are to be moving into and weren't quite done as of a few weeks ago.

Tell ya though - would love to have the colmado there since it is remote from the rest of town.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
I imagine so. By that time Tablone should be moved out.

Not everyone is happy about it though. The good part is that some of the 'bad element' were renting meaning no apartment for them.
Only 'homeowners' are getting a place.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I walked by this new development today while walking behind La Union to an area of public land that is being farmed by many residents of La Union (including my girlfriend's parents). Her father speculates that the apartments will not get to the intended recipients (people of El Tablon) but end up being handed out as political favors.

Since he does construction for a living I asked him why he didn't have anything to do with the project especially since it was almost literally in his back yard. He answered that the government pays too little and pointed out the quality of construction was not the best and would not recommend anyone to live there.

I am not sure how far off of completion the project but I would guess that by January 2008 it should be done or almost depending on the size of the work force dedicated to it. Today, (Sunday) I only saw 2 Haitian workers there and 1 Dominican who looked liked some kind of greedy "boss" probably eying up which apartment he would take for himself.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
The same thing happened in Montellano. Got built and only the 'favoured' ones got a place.

When I was in Tablone there were people doing a census and the residents there are expecting a place - if they don't get one and they are pushed out I am not sure where they will go.

Some of them have their children attending school in Batey so getting there from La Union will end up costing them a ton of pesos in transportation.

RenatoSosua

Bronze
Nov 8, 2006
groups.yahoo.com
They are shoveling people around without any consideration. At the end only the richer amongst the poor will get a new house along with all the political friends.
The main reason is to plant flowers in new Tablon botanical garden.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I bet it doesn't happen.
La Union is the perfect example.
Originally designed and built to house all El Tablon residents, over 10 years ago.
It didn't work out as planned then and I highly doubt that it will this time, either.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
After checking with Milka, who's mother lives in El Tablon, she says that the new apartments are so tiny, that her mother, who is a bit on the big side, can't even turn her body around in the bathrooms of those new apartments.
Also, they would have to pay a certain amount of money every month for 20 years.
She concurs that it's just not going to happen.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Somebody from El Tablon told me that the Government wanted 200,000 RD for an apt. That is like asking for a million dollars from these people.

RenatoSosua

Bronze
Nov 8, 2006
groups.yahoo.com
I really wish for them to be able to stay there in Tablon even living in poor conditions I think that they are better there than being displace behind La Union in those small apartments like you said. And a lot won't even have an apartment there, so where will they go? I hope like Milka thinks, that it will never happen. I also know a family living in El Tablon and they don't want to leave.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It appears that most people in El Tablon do not want to leave. They shoud have spent the money fixing up El Talbon instead of this bogus plan.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
People from Santiago are buying up the rest of that part of Los Charamicos and who knows what El Tablon residents will endure. I know people in Santiago who are actually speculating on that land, as it is seaside and could be nice one day, but.......... The residents are at the bottom of the food chain in the politician's eyes. Anything can or cannot happen at this point. I wish Milka's mom a larger washroom! (and a weightloss program).
I do like the nice new public park in La Union and the Polideportivo going up across the way there. Vladimir is doing at least a reasonable job......street signs in Sosua, potholes fixed all over, palm trees planted.....the Ayuntamento just got RD$24 MM for public works......let's see if it actually works.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It appears that most people in El Tablon do not want to leave. They shoud have spent the money fixing up El Talbon instead of this bogus plan.

I do feel bad for the innocent residents being displaced. Isn't there a certain "element" that needs to be displaced from El Tablon to clean things up a little?

tam'

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
That 'element' is quite thick both there and in Tablone as well.

It is amazing what goes on there. I have spent a lot of time there, Tablon, even at night with my friends family.
Not a great place but a community none the less.