Delta???????

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
daily except tuesdays. They are off on tuesdays like I am.
AZB

Latino2002

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
daily except tuesdays. They are off on tuesdays like I am.
AZB

Yep I dont like to flight on tuesdays..I Always had my dentist appoinment on these days. And that willbe almost the same way they will operate Samana and La Romana.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Off topic: Latino, is that true that delta is addding more flights to colombia like MDE etc?
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I want to know about colombia. What other cities besides Bogota they are thinking of starting?
AZB

Latino2002

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I want to know about colombia. What other cities besides Bogota they are thinking of starting?
AZB
Well not sure for now, but maybe medellin and cali...all depend on AA if they will allowe Dl to operates this routes

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
AZB

I've heard internally that IF Delta were to expand service to Colombia, the first additional city would be Cali, since at least 30% of the Delta pax to Bogota have connecting flights to Cali, sometimes unsuccessfully.

The IF relates to the US-Colombia carrier route restictions limit, and American Airlines currently not using 14 weekly routes. American will either re-introduce service on those routes, or risk losing them in arbitration to Delta or Spirit. If Delta wins and has available aircraft, there might be ATL-CLO (Cali) service as soon as December.

I wouldn't hold my breath on Medellin or Cartagena, as Avianca would probably step in at that stage.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
And

I wouldn't hold my breath on AA letting DL get those 14 rights any time soon.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
I wouldn't hold my breath on AA letting DL get those 14 rights any time soon.

Exact same thing was said about Rio de Janeiro a year or two ago, now look at what Delta's doing in Brasil. 3 daily flights to Brasil, with a 4th to the northeast of Brasil being analyzed.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Yeah

But they're going to GRU twice daily not GIG, which is once a day. Nice to see AA have the competition. ATC unionized workers have been reeking havoc on traffic to GRU lately. Northeast from ATL is unlikely whether they analyze it or not....
according to route planning sources in ATL.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
But they're going to GRU twice daily not GIG, which is once a day. Nice to see AA have the competition. ATC unionized workers have been reeking havoc on traffic to GRU lately. Northeast from ATL is unlikely whether they analyze it or not....
according to route planning sources in ATL.

My only point was that within a 2 yr span, Delta went from only having 7 weekly routes to Brasil to now having 21 weekly routes. JFK to GRU makes sense, as does the ATL-GIG and ATL-GRU route.

It makes sense that Sao Paolo has two flights daily, and not Rio. Besides the significant amount of business transacted in Sao Paolo, there's the population of approx. 18 million people. Easy market to target.

GRU has always had labor issues. This is nothing new. 4 yrs ago, we got caught in the middle of one of their infamous walkouts, that time it was the federal marshalls. We landed at 7:00 am in Sao Paolo. We cleared customs after 12:00 pm.

Delta or any other airline getting extra routes to Colombia or Brasil is possible, labor issues or not.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
DL Expansion

DL has apparently woken up to the fact that yields are better than domestic dogfights. So go south of the border and are aggressively attacking the long held AA markets on every turn in the Caribbean and S.America. Great.
Good for them, good for the traveler. They are discussing jumping on the underserved JFK-POP market and we'll know by December or earlier if it's them or JerBlue - if either of them. The demographics are there, as are the yields. Their ATL/POP flights have been a success apparently.