Constant renting problem in SD

rised

Oct 8, 2006
I'm looking for apartment for rent in Santo Domingo and experiencing huge problem...

I thought that it would be an easy to do thing but it isn't and I feel frustrated, because everyone acting like there is no problem, please do your judgment:

My demand is 2 (preferable) or 3 room apartment in Bella Vista or Gascue. Air conditioned, "planta full", furnished (good furniture), not in condominium...
I can pay up to $1500/month

But after seeing 20+ apartments I can't find any opportunity at all - seems like real estate agents gone mad. They are offering scary old apartments for $1000+ (they are big but they are poor)

I think you can rent something good here. So hm... can anybody advise where should I look for information?

How much do you pay for rent? What kind

I need some clearness about situation.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i have a 3 bedroom penthouse in mirador-sur / gaciazgoes, sorry it is not gazcue, you might like it. it is advertised on this website in the rental section. you can private message me to get hold of my agent in SD..........you will need to speak spanish with my representative............

rised

Oct 8, 2006
2 Robert: Yes I have, but there aren't many descent proposals (most of Listin is $RD6000 for students).

2 amparocorp
Please PM me about this offer (contacts of your representative)

I'm also interested how much should you pay as a comission to agent if rent fee is above $500? $1000? or in DR agents deal with owners of apartment (I found my previous apartment without agency).

Feb 7, 2007
Usually, I have seen real estate agents being paid commision 1 month's worth of rent, on contracts 12 months and more. Not just here, but in other LA countries as well. If the rent is high (such as your US$1500), maybe you can negotiate lower commission.

rised

Oct 8, 2006
It is a question to me, because commision is a service - but is definetly not service for me as a client.

Because I'm already paying the rent and it is obvious that I want to see what I'm going to pay for. So this is a service for owner of the apartment...

Please provide me with some information about commision in DR, how much and who pays? Thanks a lot!

rised

Oct 8, 2006
Thanks Robert, I have read it - there is a payment to "lawyer" but let's think about example:

1) Apartment that cost $500 - I need to pay $500 as a commision

2) Apartment that cost $1500 - I need to pay $1500

In which case intermediator do more work?
That's right - this is the same work, so why should I pay 3 times more?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have asked this question many times, that's why I don't use one :)

Would I pay someone one months rent, no way!

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
I would get a Dominican Friend to go look at any apartment I was considering renting before I went in to see it.

Why? Odds are he'll get quoted a much lower price than me. Gringo tax in effect.