Newbie Needs HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

muddobber

Feb 27, 2007
Hi All.
We are heading to Puerto Plata July 13-20 for a family celebration..our parents 50th anniversary. There are 12 of us...most between 45-55 ages with three being in their 70-80s. I'm trying to find a day trip or excursion that would be easy enough for our elders yet fun and memorable for all. I've read reviews, postings, etc...and just get more confused. The outback safari looks nice, but not sure if it would be too rough of a ride for the elders....a catamaran sail might work, as we all would love to sail to a secluded beach, have lunch, and meet some locals in a remote beach village...but not sure if getting from the catamaran to the beach will be a problem for the elders...
Seems each excursion has some element that may be a hardship in some way for the oldies (but goodies). Being July, need to also have provision to avoid too much sun or heat...are the trucks covered, is there shade on the catamarans..etc...? We have all stocked up on school supplies and visiting a village would be great to distribute our supplies.
Any suggestions would be extremely appreciated. Thank you!!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I would not hesitate to recommend the catamaran trip to you! There are 2 - Freestyle Catamarans and Banana Republic party boat. Both leave from Playa Dorada beach. Both companies will assist the elderly on and off the boat. The Banana Republic boat has more shade to offer. Both offer a good day trip. Neither go to a village!

Safari - one issue with any safari will be the on and off the truck at each stop. I am certain the staff will assist but it still might be too much. Some trucks are covered, others are not. Depends which company you book with.

School supplies: any excursion that stops at a village or school does this regularly! A better idea might be to get them into the hands of Beyond the Beach, a foundation that gets the supplies to those in need. I can help you with that if you need it.

Or go to Isaira Tours - Dominican Republic for assistance and information.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Trucks are usually open, take big sunhats and lots of sunscreen and water. If the oldies are goodies, the truck ride should not be too much. Take a few cushions to sit on and I'm sure there will be many helpful hands to step on the truck.
On a calm day a catamaran sail is great. It is a bit of a scramble on and off though. Again, sunhats, lots of sunscreen and don't forget to drink a lot of water (more water than rum!)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Something more off the wall: Book a tour with Paradise and go to Sand Key off of Punta Rucia. The travel is in air conditioned buses, open boats. You can snorkle in calm waters. swim in chest deep ocean water, and laze on the beach under shade.

HB

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Why not do something sane in the heat and go to Centro Leon in Santiago. Hire a driver and take the back road, beautiful views.
For the ultimate tour of Centro Leon hire the DR's best guide, Hillbilly!!!

muddobber

Feb 27, 2007
Thank you all for you recommendations. I was looking also the Rio San Juan (Laguna Gri Gri/playa Caleton) trip...that looks like a relaxing kind of day trip..?

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
The boat trip in Rio San Juan might be nice. Takes you to the beach and on the way you see some different landscape.

muddobber

Feb 27, 2007
If we decide to hire a driven and go to Rio San Juan (vs. a tour) ..who and where do you pick up the boat, would one boat accomodate our brood of 12, and is there flexibility of staying at Caleton beach if desired, does the boat wait or return for you at a given time, and are there options of where the boat takes you...??? Is this the same as the Blue Lagoon (I've seen this advertised and sounds like the same place..). How much is the boat and do we pay in US or DR currency..and where do you pay? I can only find the same standard info for organized tours...sorry so many questions..and thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.