Insight on Puerta Plata & Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdd3

Dec 1, 2006
Greetings friends,

I will be flying to Puerta Plata, and staying in Sosua, within the next few weeks and wanted to get some good insight before getting out there. On the two occasions that I have been there before, I primarily stayed on Sosua and got out to Puerta Plaza just once.

Fortunately then, I had a friend of mine who had been there several times before to show me the ropes, and has was fairly fluent in Spanish, which prevented us from being taking advantage of on several occasions I am sure.

However, I did want to get some insight from anyone who has stayed in Sosua recently. Both my travel buddy and I are around 40 and want to get some R&R, partying in, and maybe get out a little further into surrounding areas, maybe Puerta Plata, Cabarete, etc. on our own.

Since we're both guys who want to maximize our time and minimize our spend, I'm seeking advice one following:

• Good food on the cheap
  • Social spots to have some fun
  • Places to go in surrounding areas (within one hour preferrably)
  • Reasonable options for rental car
  • Any other helpful hints

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks.

TD

Tee Bone

Jun 16, 2007
Rocky's in Sosua has good food at great prices and the ribs are the best in the DR.

You can also try PJ's for breakfast and pico pollo for lunch.

rocky also has rooms, without AC for $22/ night

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
In Sosua there are a slew of small restuarants that serve reasonably priced food.

I recommend the following:

Brittania - on the main drag (pedro Clisante). The food is consistantly good no matter what you order. Liam and Peter are very nice and the place is exceptionally clean.

Checkpoint bar - always friendly people to talk to.

As far as day trips I don't know why you'd go to Puerto Plata other than to shop. The beaches are nice however there aren't many services like food and booze.

I'd recommend for a day trip to go to:

Laguna Gri Gri - Located in Rio San Juan (ask for directions before leaving your hotel) you can hire a boat for around $1000.00RD that will take you out to the reef and to a couple caves and drop you at Playa Catalan (sp?) where you can relax on the beach and have a bite to eat. The boat captain will either wait for you or return if you want more time.

When renting a car in the DR it's very important to rent from a reputable company. I'd stay with National, Budget or Hertz at the airport. Pay for the additional insurance and drive very safely. Some things are much cheaper in the long run if there's a problem.

Enjoy your stay and try and stay somewhere that is comfortable. It's off season and you can stay at many of the nicer hotels in Sosua for $60 or $70 a night.

tdd3

Dec 1, 2006
Rocky's in Sosua has good food at great prices and the ribs are the best in the DR.

You can also try PJ's for breakfast and pico pollo for lunch.

rocky also has rooms, without AC for $22/ night
Thanks. What is the cost of rooms with A/C. I am sure it will be very hot. lol.

tdd3

Dec 1, 2006
Great feedback

Thanks for the heads up on Laguna Gri Gri! I may try that. How far is the drive to Rio San Juan from Sosua?

I would surmise that it is 1000 DR for roundtrip, not one way. Right? Is there one service provider for the boat to the isles/caves, or multiple? Any in particular you would recommend? Names of individuals in particular?

Thanks.

tdd3

Dec 1, 2006
Thanks for the great feedback. The last time I was there, I believe there were one or two dance clubs in Sosua. One was Latino and I forgot the other. There was a larger one just across the street. Are those places still there? Any other options for night life and dancing?

Thanks.

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Thanks for the heads up on Laguna Gri Gri! I may try that. How far is the drive to Rio San Juan from Sosua?

I would surmise that it is 1000 DR for roundtrip, not one way. Right? Is there one service provider for the boat to the isles/caves, or multiple? Any in particular you would recommend? Names of individuals in particular?

Thanks.

Yes, it is $1000RD for the round trip. The boats run kind of like a taxi stand in that you pay a person in a booth and then whomevers turn it is for the fare is the one you get.

I've only taken the boat ride once and now I either drop friends off at the boat station and meet them at Playa Catalan or we all just go to the beach and skip the boat ride.

Make sure to get good directions before you head off to Laguna Gri Gri as there aren't a lot of well marked signs.

The best directions I can give is this:

Head east on the main Puerto Plata highway. When you come to Rio San Juan you'll come to a gas station (Texaco I believe) on your right. Just feet from the station is a major intersection, here make a left. Follow the street until you come to what looks like a lagoon, park the car and look for the ticket stand. There'll be a kid there (there always is) who'll ask if you want him to watch the car. He probably doesn't but say 'Si' and when you get back give him 50 pesos. Just a suggestion.

Have fun.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
.... There'll be a kid there (there always is) who'll ask if you want him to watch the car. He probably doesn't but say 'Si' and when you get back give him 50 pesos. Just a suggestion. Have fun.

20 pesos is more than enough, 50 is a spoiler ;)

Also, before leaving, ask the kid his name, and where he lives...

"Ni?o, como te llamas?... y donde vives?" and, pointing to your car, tell him with a stern expression "Cu?damelo bien! (Take good care of my car)" ;)

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Stay with Rocky's, air condition, TV, nice rooms, nice people, nice location, nice bar, good food. I think he has it all. Rocky's is a place you can walk to a lot of other places from. ENJOY!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Stay with Rocky's, air condition, TV, nice rooms, nice people, nice location, nice bar, good food. I think he has it all. Rocky's is a place you can walk to a lot of other places from. ENJOY!
Rocky's is also a source of GOOD information about where to go & what to see (at the best possible price/style for YOU). There are tours/excursions to Gri-Gri lagoon which might suit your 'tourist' environment better than hiring a car - The whole day trip out used to cost less than RD $1,000 so NO rental car charge AND someone else does the driving (which is always quite a sensible solution in this country!!).

Don't forget a trip up the cable car to the top of mount Isabel de torres - only cable car in the Caribbean!! There are loads of cafes, bars & restaurants in the locality, tourist AND local - it just depends on what you want to look for & feel comfortable in!

As I say, check it out at Rocky's ........ even if (for some illogical reason)you decide not to stay there at nights!! :ermm::tired: ~ Grahame.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I also recommend one of those trips to one of the waterfalls (if you not scared of a bit of rough in the water !? Any of them would do and there are excursion offices in Sosua, all about the same....

The other club is Classico, and I bet is still there - I just can't see how Sosua can manage without this club !? (most other clubs come and go but Classico lives on).

mmilone

Mar 25, 2003
I would avoid the car rental; it's not like renting a car here. Also, Laguna Gri Gri is nice, but it it a distance from Sosua, and you will have to get back to Sosua. Sosua has a nice beach. As far as the clubs; the 2 large clubs on the main street are right next to each other.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Greetings friends,

I will be flying to Puerta Plata, and staying in Sosua, within the next few weeks and wanted to get some good insight before getting out there. On the two occasions that I have been there before, I primarily stayed on Sosua and got out to Puerta Plaza just once.

Since we're both guys who want to maximize our time and minimize our spend, I'm seeking advice one following:

• Good food on the cheap
  • Social spots to have some fun
  • Places to go in surrounding areas (within one hour preferrably)
  • Reasonable options for rental car
  • Any other helpful hints

TD

TD -
I'll sum it up for you - In Sosua, go to Rockys on DR Rosen, even if you don't plan on staying there...while there...
1) Shake Marco's hand
2) Pet Bruno on the head
3) Hug Amahrisa (aka chiquita) for me

Just don't get those three mixed up!:)

When you leave Rockys turn left, go to intersection & turn right, walk about 200 feet and wait till 10:00 PM...everything else will fall into place...

On a more serious note... I don't know your dates but I'll be there the 27th, PM me if you'll be around then and we'll throw back a cerveza (or two)

gringo1

Feb 23, 2007
As far as keeping the spend down, remember that ahywhere that you are surrounded by your fellow gringos probably will be more expensive for beer, etc. Checkpoint bar, for instance, is a great spot, but is also a bus drop of, and they only sell pequeno presidentes for about the same price as a grande beer of the same flavor in a dominican hangout. This is true for most of the tourist areas. Get out in the country a little and watch your pesos last!! HAve fun

Florie

Jun 21, 2006
I am staying in Sosua right now and I recomend this place: Las Ca?as, Dominican Republic
It is beautiful, comes with a fridge and stove (beautiful kitchen) and provides transportation to and from several destinations all day long. If you are on a budget like me, I go to the market and buy the Presidente or Brahma beer, fruits, and bring back to the hotel. At the Playera Super Market on the main road you will find several locals with motorcycles that will give you a ride around the area for US $1.00/person. The same market exchanges the money for US$1/32.50 pesos and they are open all week until 8:30pm. The locals with the motorcycles (I am using Luis with the Boston cap) will point to several restaurants that serve the local cuisine (rice and beans -habichielas and today I had guandu-delicious!! - chicken guisado or fried, pork, beef, salad) for about US $3.00 - that is finger-licking amazing! Better (in taste and price)than La Roca restaurant and all those that cater to the tourist-my opinion. You can go to Puerto Plata by taxi or guagua ( stop is across the Super Market Playera- US$2.00/person and Cabarette is the same price. Wishing you a great trip!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I am staying in Sosua right now and I recomend this place: Las Ca?as, Dominican Republic
It is beautiful, comes with a fridge and stove (beautiful kitchen) and provides transportation to and from several destinations all day long. If you are on a budget like me, I go to the market and buy the Presidente or Brahma beer, fruits, and bring back to the hotel. At the Playera Super Market on the main road you will find several locals with motorcycles that will give you a ride around the area for US $1.00/person. The same market exchanges the money for US$1/32.50 pesos and they are open all week until 8:30pm. The locals with the motorcycles (I am using Luis with the Boston cap) will point to several restaurants that serve the local cuisine (rice and beans -habichielas and today I had guandu-delicious!! - chicken guisado or fried, pork, beef, salad) for about US $3.00 - that is finger-licking amazing! Better (in taste and price)than La Roca restaurant and all those that cater to the tourist-my opinion. You can go to Puerto Plata by taxi or guagua ( stop is across the Super Market Playera- US$2.00/person and Cabarette is the same price. Wishing you a great trip!
At the risk of repeating myself,
I am staying here right now for the duration of my (not long enough)vacation and the place is more impressive than the pictures: Las Ca?as, Dominican Republic
At the risk of repeating myself.
Now that's what I call a testimonial.
What a wonderful resource, DR1 and it's members are.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
other recommendations include Hotle Europa, Del Delfin, Casa Valeria. right next to checkpoint bar in that plaza is Mel's tours. stop in and check out the tours they have to offer like the tram car ride up the mountain, my favorite. i haven't been in sosua for 4 months (wow) but i'm sure the nightlife is probably still the same. use sosua as a base station to get out and enjoy the sites...
have fun....

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
other recommendations include Hotle Europa, Del Delfin, Casa Valeria. right next to checkpoint bar in that plaza is Mel's tours. stop in and check out the tours they have to offer like the tram car ride up the mountain, my favorite. i haven't been in sosua for 4 months (wow) but i'm sure the nightlife is probably still the same. use sosua as a base station to get out and enjoy the sites...
have fun....
To qualify those recommendations a bit more.
Casa Valeria scores top points, of the three.
Canto Del Delfin offers great value and convenient location, but is a bit noisy, as it is right on the main highway.
Hotel Europa is getting a few too many complaints about the condition of the rooms, these days, so other hotels in a similar price range would be a preferable choice.

Florie

Jun 21, 2006
I visited Casa Valeria and it is not very nice for the price. I was quoted US$55 for a one room. The hotel

Status
Not open for further replies.