National Police Shakedown yesterday

acmike

Jan 11, 2005
Yesterday morning while driving my rental car in the Colonial Zone I was pulled over by 2 National Police officers who said I was speeding(I was'nt).One of them got in my vehicle and told me if I did'nt give him $100 American dollars he would arrest me and take him to jail.My Spanish is somewhat limited but I told him I had done nothing wrong and was'nt going to give him money.I was in a time bind though because I had to be at the airport to catch my flight to the states.I ended up negociating it down to 1000 pesos.If I did'nt have a plane to catch I believe I would have called his bluff and given him a lesser amount or refused to give him anything at all.
I have heard stories of this type of thing happening to people I know who live in SD or are frequent visitors.
Do any of you experienced this type of thing and what is the best way to handle it?Do they ever fufill their threat of taking the driver to the Police station?Thanks

acmike

Jan 11, 2005
Badge numbers

I did'nt get the badge numbers but I've seen these guys around the Colonial Zone in the past.If I did have their badge numbers or if I could ID them would it make any difference?From what I've been told the NP are known for this type of thing whereas the Police in the green uniforms are not like this at all.
I would have no problem making an issue about this through the proper channels if I thought there would be a meaningful response.After what I experienced yesterday I have to question whether there is any credibility within the NP from the top on down.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Of course it would make a difference. By means of some networking, they would be reported and a small scandal would be created, ending their "legal" line of work...

HB

havoc999

May 8, 2007
national shakedown a foreigner day

Same thing happened yesterday to me...TWICE! I've been living here 3 months and never had a problem, never ever been pulled over. Yesterday I got pulled over twice - once on the Malecon and once in Gazcue. Both times 2 dirty ass cops on a bike, tell me to pull over and give me what I?ve come to learn is a typical foreigner shakedown (get in the car, threaten jail, lie about traffic violations, etc.). First time I only gave 80 pesos, 2nd set of cops were older / more determined and wouldn't give in until I gave em 500.

So what do you think, crooks or crooked cops?

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
A couple of times when driving with a colleague, we were waived to pull over, we just kept on driving. Reason being, was that they would screw us around, so we didn't even bother, nothing happend. Is this a good idea?

Another thing, it might not be a bad idea to have a recording device of some kind, like really if people start to bring this kind of thing forward, maybe it will decrease, or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

acmike

Jan 11, 2005
NP on Bikes

The guys who pulled me over were also on a bike.One was about 45 years old,a little chunky,medium skinned and gruff looking.The second one was in his twenties,thin and light skinned.My shakedown occurred on the street that runs parellel to the Conde on the Malecon side.

Feb 7, 2007
That's why I say it's always good to have some military friends. Coronels and generals are best. But ANY military (PN, AMET, FFAA, DNCD, DNI, etc) officer is good. Have his cell, home and work number. If this happens, call him and tell him you are with one/two/three PN cops who want money. Tell the cops you are talking to your friend general/coronel/mayor/captain/liutenant/other officer at PN/AMET/FFAA/DNCD/DNI. Better yet, let the two speak together. I assure you they will leave immediately giving you their very apologies for the incident promissing it will never happen again.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
That's why I say it's always good to have some military friends. ...

You need nothing of the kind! All you need is the nerve not to become intimidated, and the elementary histrionics to call their bluff. If they are real authorities then they can't move beyond their assigned area, they can't arrest you. Play the game!

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
A couple of times when driving with a colleague, we were waived to pull over, we just kept on driving. Reason being, was that they would screw us around, so we didn't even bother, nothing happend. Is this a good idea?

Another thing, it might not be a bad idea to have a recording device of some kind, like really if people start to bring this kind of thing forward, maybe it will decrease, or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

I have gotten waved done by DR police on foot, on several occasions. Sometimes it was for a supposed traffic violation...other times they just wanted a ride. My opinion is that you just have to use your best judgment for the moment. My personal experience is that I have never gotten screwed around...but you never know.
The idea about using a recording device sounds like a great idea. Using a small digital camera would be good. Turn it on, set it on movie mode and stick it in your shirt pocket. You won't get any pictures but most people would never guess that you are recording audio.

walknu

Jul 9, 2007
for the sake of time, i carry $5 or $10 bucks for hassle money and tell whoever is stopping me that is all I have... they then leave me alone and send me on my way. Been stopped alot but only had to pay once. I don't talk much, just listen for the request for money, then reply with "all i have is $5.00" then they let me go... For some reason they ask me if I am a police officer before they attempt to pester for money. I do haev one friend there that is a cop... My theory is, I'd rather give them $5.00 than risk wasting time and a huge infuriating hassle.

acmike

Jan 11, 2005
That's a good way out of it but does anyone know of them actually taking someone to the Police Station and if so what happens then?
And what if you just hold your ground and refuse to give them anything?

acmike

Jan 11, 2005
Shakedown

Suppose you programed the American Embassy phone number in your cell and listed it that way.If you went to call the number would they back off?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
That's a good way out of it but does anyone know of them actually taking someone to the Police Station and if so what happens then?
And what if you just hold your ground and refuse to give them anything?

These shakedowns are a great opportunity... always hold your ground, never give them anything... Take it as a personal challenge. Otherwise, you will be left feeling like a whimp.

These shakedowns are a great opportunity... always hold your ground, never give them anything... Take it as a personal challenge. Otherwise, you will be left feeling like a whimp.

My thoughts excactly and speak only English and act like you dont understand a word their saying.I usually listen to their speach then tell them to call my father, They ask me who my dad is and i produce my good friend General ***** card, on the card he has written that I am his son and to extend all courtesy to me.Never had a problem after that :)

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
been told about the palacio twice,

Have been told twice in 10 years you will have to go to the palacio, said great lets go, I want to talk to somebody in authority. For some reason we never go. I never pay would rather put up with the hassle.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Call their bluff. Drive them directly to the NP headquarters in Gazcue. Then watch the fun start!

You have to understand that they think gringos are unwitting "pan comido" and pendejos. But if you think it through carefully, their ambush depends entirely on your taking their threats seriously. And if you show up at headquarters -- not the local destacamento -- and scream bloody murder, you are going to get results. Officialdom doesnt like to screw with tourists.

And while I agree with Mirador, I still say that it doesnt hurt to carry the calling card of an influential colonel or general or fiscal -- anyone in power with a recognizable name.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i am on the side of the poster who keeps a few pesos in the pocket for "just in case" money. Sure i could go raise a stink somewhere....but i am normaly only in the city for a short time and would rather spend my vacation time doing things i WANT to do...not fighting with the police.

I must say tho..that i have only been pulled over once...on the malecon...i was on a rented motor bike with a young acquaintance. he WAS drivining like a madman....i was 36 and gringo he was about 19...we ended up giving the cops 300 pesos...and my friend cussed me out for opening my mouth. I have since relied on guaguas and motos.

I must say tho..over the past few years i very seldom see AMAT on the highway.

i really think there should be an "scams to avoid" thread. Nothing too alarmist...but there certainly ARE the usual scams to avoid...and like THIS particular one..ways to deal with a situation once you are in one.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Muy buena idea......

i really think there should be an "scams to avoid" thread. Nothing too alarmist...but there certainly ARE the usual scams to avoid...and like THIS particular one..ways to deal with a situation once you are in one.
That sounds like a great idea. Go for it.

Please understand that most of those axxholes can smell a "payday" from a mile away.

The second they see in your eyes that you are afraid, YOU ARE DONE!!.

I think I gave in a few times, for a number of reasons.

Because I didn't want to be bothered, didn't have the time or the patience to deal with them of just because it was better to just give them a few pesos than to have a moron talk nonsense to me.

Then I decided to fight back and make time to make their lives miserable.

I am very proud to say that over the years, I have made a few them "switch professions" forcefully!!.

I am with my buddy macocael, it doesn't hurt to carry "The Card", "The Phone Number" or "The Names Dropping".

The thing is that they are so easy to intimidate.

Just look at them straight at their eyes with a stern look and stand your ground!.

When they tell you: "I will take you to the destacamento", tell them: "ok, let's go but let me call General "so and so" so he can meet us over there". Even if you don't know a General "so and so", tell them that. Just make a name up. They don't know!.

Also: you can tell them:

"Does mi compadre General "Ladanis" knows that you are doing this to people that do not deserve it, what's your name?.

Watch them put their tails between their legs, shake your hand and tell you: "estoy jugando amigo, vayase" (I am playing my friend, go).

Works like LaPelas, haha!!!.

Last edited:

acmike

Jan 11, 2005
For the hell of it I emailed the American Embassy in Santo Domingo for their advice and reaction.I have'nt heard back from them yet.