Great Canned Tuna Value

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The Roland chunk light tuna in water (Red Label) that the big Playero in Sosua sells is a great value. For RD$29 you get tuna that is at least as good as the name-brand stuff that you pay 4 or 5 times that for. They also have Roland with a blue label, but it is not chunks. I haven't tried it. But since we discovered Roland in water with the red label, we are eating it at least once a week.

They also have the red label in oil, but we prefer water.

If you look for it in Playero, it is not on the shelf with the tuna, but at the end of that aisle piled on top of boxes.

Great value for RD$29 for a 6 ounce can. It is packed in Thailand for the American Roland Food Company.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
what tuna are you seeing for 4 or 5 times 29 pesos (116 - 145 pesos?!?)? Who i n their right mind would pay almost $5 for a can of tuna? Ive bought Bumble Bee and Chicken of the Sea at Playero and other area stores for around 35 pesos...that's chunk light, solid white is a bit higher...

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Great value for RD$29 for a 6 ounce can. It is packed in Thailand for the American Roland Food Company.

Did you know Chunk Light in Thai means Cat Food?
Sorry, I could not resist, I would only eat Bumble Bee Solid White (Thunnus alalunga).

tambo'

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
what tuna are you seeing for 4 or 5 times 29 pesos (116 - 145 pesos?!?)? Who i n their right mind would pay almost $5 for a can of tuna? Ive bought Bumble Bee and Chicken of the Sea at Playero and other area stores for around 35 pesos...that's chunk light, solid white is a bit higher...

As I recall, chunk light Bumble Bee and Chicken of the Sea at Playero is around RD$50.

Roland chunk light is more solid than Bumble Bee or Chicken of the Sea light. I said 4 times more because solid white sells for around RD$100 and I find very little difference between that and the RD$29 Roland.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

If you ever bought one, which I doubt, you would not be recommending the ones you mentioned above. They are bottom of the barrel cast offs. I have not tried Ken's choice, but I will, as I have had the others and the quality is not like the States.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I just was in Playero and picked up a can of the Tuna Ken recommended. Thanks a million Ken, it is the best I have had in this country for the price.

There is no comparison between the Roland's and the cheap version of Bumble Bee. I am going back to Playero later to stock up.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
As you know, Sky, it pays to stock up in this country because you never know how long something will be available. I debated posting the info for fear I would start a run that would empty the supply. But I do have a good stock on hand, and every time we use a can we replace it with one or more. When you find something that is almost too good to be true, it pays to buy plenty while you can.

I had seen the cans for some time before trying Roland, but then a man next to me in line was buyng another Roland product, maybe pink salmon. I asked him about Roland and he told me they put out an excellent product for a good price.

The blue cans are probably good quality, but mushy. I like the firm chunks in the red can.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I used to sell Tuna for a Japanese importer. Roland was a strong competitor. Their product qualities are very good. In
my opinion in the states the Bumblebee quality has really dropped, especially in the multipaks white or chunk light.