Drowned

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
why this happens??? I am surprised it doesnt happen more often :ermm:
there are no life guards available, there is no one in charge of keeping an eye on the pools.:surprised

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Although you have taught a young child to swim, and you have seen him/her swim across the pool, there's a high probability that the same child cannot avoid drowning if she/he falls or is pushed backwards inside a pool and lands in the bottom in a sitting position. The body instinctively tries to straighten up by bending over, something that's practically impossible to do inside the water without also instinctively breathing. The only way to straighten up is by twirling around to a position face down in the water, and then pushing yourself up. This maneouver has to be taught and learned by the young child before he/she can be left unattended in a pool. Another reason a child who knows how to swim drowns in a pool is produced by loss of consciousness, caused by an acute or a latent disorders, or by the child diving into shallow waters and hitting his/her head.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
why this happens??? I am surprised it doesnt happen more often :ermm:
there are no life guards available, there is no one in charge of keeping an eye on the pools.:surprised

MAR...sorry to disagree with you here...it's not the lack of lifeguards ... it's the lack of intelligence on the parent's part!!! :bored:

Some people just go take advantage of the open bars at the AI's and forget about the WORLD when they're there...I've seen it happen with my own eyes...there is NO SUPERVISION on the part of the parents towards their kids...they run around the hotel as if NOTHING can go wrong...

They don't necessarily have to drown...the pooldeck is wet, they can fall and break their necks...and NOBODY cares!!!:ermm:

This is very unfortunate...very sad...but still some people don't learn!!!

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Yes I know its every parents responsibility to keep an eye on the children, I have only in recent years been able to go to the beach and leave them in the pool because even though they knew how to swim I didn't feel comfortable leaving them unattended, mind you now they are 14 and 16.

But if the hotel had someone looking out it would be very helpful also, I always wondered why they don't have a lifeguard, I see the signs posted, warning people that there's no life guard on duty.

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
Very sad story. A five year old should not be left unattended in a busy pool let alone your own backyard pool. We should not expect others to supervise our children. Even if there were lifeguards on duty we don't know if the situation would be different as we don't know what happened. This is an unfortunate accident that could have been prevented. We need to keep a closer eye on our children.

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
I was writing my post at the same time...didn't see the post with the correct story. Supervision is a priority for all. Always swim in pairs just in case you run into trouble and always wear a life jacket.

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
A different twist, i have always had dogs. some small like beagles and some big like rotties. i always would tell my friends never, never leave you child unattended with any animal. My big dogs were babies would take raw meat out of my mouth and go outside to eat it but, never would i leave a child unattended with any of them. Common sence something that alot of people just don't use anymore.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Oh, come on!!! We were talking about a child drowning...and now it turns out it was a 45 year old man...Still a tragedy...but how can the reports vary from paper to paper...????? :(

Typical DR!!!!

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
A 7 year old Dominican child drowned one year at the Dorado Club when I was there. It was very sad.