huelga general anybody?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I was just wondering if some could post the current status of the huelga general and how it affects your region and transit to other regions.

I'm in Puerto Plata, close to the Malecon East side and no noise. I am told that there is army at the roundabout and some vehicles have been seen going East from there with what looked like a bit shovel like device on the front like old trains used to.
Some have reported that there may be problems around Montellano (?).
The guy at the gaz station in Cangrejo yesterday evening, when I filled'er up, recomended not to take esta linda Jeepeta out tomorrow (today) as delinquentes are prone to throw stones and other stuff.
I've jsut talked over the phone to somebody in La Vega and they did seem not to have notice anything (read between my lines!).

I need to drive my kids and their mother to Santo Domingo on Wednesday, form where they are scheduled to fly off to Spain on the 12th... I hope things will be clear until then. Do those who have experienced this here in the past recommend to take Caribe Tours instead of driving?

Thanks! ... J-D.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Everything quite here in the Southern front, feels like a regular Sunday. My informants in the SW report no incidents of violence.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
3 tires burning early morning in Calle del Carmen, quickly controlled by Police... Business as usual in Las Terrenas, where we enjoy a (almost) 24/7 electrical power...

This is an area where those strikes don't really come into effect...

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Could your permanent vacationing be affecting your sense of time? It's MONDAY :D

Ok, I'll spell it out just for you, there's a 24 hour nationwide general strike in progress, today, Monday, July 9th. I happen to live on Avenida Sarasota, Bella Vista, Santo Domingo, which happens to have heavy traffic most Mondays. However, today, because of the general strike, it feels like a regular Sunday. Capisci? ;)

Feb 7, 2007
All tranqui here in Higuey, 99% of stores are open, Sunday-like traffic.
Right now no buses between Higuey and Santo Domingo and Higuey and Bavaro. Looks the same with Higuey - El Seybo.

Even though I have seen buses leaving to Santo Domingo as late as 11 am today.

Higuey-Romana seems to be operational.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Sosua

Just talked to some Dominicans on the phone Living next to the main road in Sosua East. They wanted to go to La Maranta (West of Sosua Bajo) to have "trensitas" done... and had to abort and go back home mentioning lot's of police and people trowing stuff.

This may become an issue to those in need to reach POP airport today.

... J-D.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Just talked to some Dominicans on the phone Living next to the main road in Sosua East. They wanted to go to La Maranta (West of Sosua Bajo) to have "trensitas" done... and had to abort and go back home mentioning lot's of police and people trowing stuff.

This may become an issue to those in need to reach POP airport today.

... J-D.

Iif you are planning to travel any distance away from your present abode, I would advise to be extra careful tonight...

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Ok, I'll spell it out just for you, there's a 24 hour nationwide general strike in progress, today, Monday, July 9th. I happen to live on Avenida Sarasota, Bella Vista, Santo Domingo, which happens to have heavy traffic most Mondays. However, today, because of the general strike, it feels like a regular Sunday. Capisci? ;)

We went down to the Puerto Plata Malecon from 16:00 thru about now... and well, what can I say... looked like a regular Sunday. :)

... J-D.