Buying a Cell Phone for a Replacement Gift

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
I need your help!

In August in wil be going back to DR (Santo Domingo) for my vacation. When I go, I need to bring a cell phone with me as a replacment gift for a buddy of mine. He lost his cell phone at the gymnasium and he is really devastated.

My issue is: What type of cell phone do I get?

I know that he purchases these cards from Orange with prepaid minutes so that should kinda give me an idea of what kind of phone.

Does the phone that I bring from the US have to have a Sim card already? -

What about just buying a replacement phone in the DR? - Is this a good idea or would I be better off just getting a phone here in the US.

What I would like to do, is get a used cell phone with the necessary accessories. The type of phone would be a fairly nice one with a camera of some sort.

Suggesstions:

:ermm:

Apr 10, 2006
You can buy the prepaid cells (Cingular/ATT 'Go' Phones or Tmobile) at most big stores... Target, Bestbuy, etc.... Prices from $20 and up.

They come locked and can be unlocked in the DR by people at Orange/Verizon locations (for an extra fee) or you can find/get codes on the internet sometimes for free (mostly for Nokia phone).

You can also buy unlocked cell phones on E-bay.

It may be cheaper to just get one there.... not sure. I have also used old (read:used) phones from friends as most people switch out every year or two heer. You may want to check with friends and see if they have any thing they don't want anymore.

Feb 7, 2007
You have 3 options

1) Buying a locked phone (such as a prepaid kit) and having it unlocked in the DR - cost anywhere between 300 and 1000 pesos, depending on the model and difficulty

2) Buying an UNlocked phone (off Amazon, UStronics, etc.) just google for "unlocked cell phone".

3) Buy phone in the DR.

IN THE MAJORITY OF CASES, it is NOT cheaper to buy a phone in DR compared to buying it unlocked in the USA or Europe.

I bought Motorola KRZR K1 off Amazon (new) for US$ 236, which is 7.800 pesos. Orange sells one new for 13.000 pesos. That's $158 dollars more on $236 phone. That's 67% more!

Ok, we are talking about one of the newest models, but... ANY non-low-end phone (e.g. with camara) will be cheaper to buy unlocked in the USA than in the DR.

Of course, you can buy low-end (read: elsewhere discontinued and dumped to the DR) for as low as $50 with Orange dealers here.

But if you want to give your friend a nice gift, buy a medium quality phone in the USA for US$100-$150 and he will be very happy. The same phone in the DR would cost almost double.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i have an old verizon phone that i buy prepaid minutes for and use everytime i visit.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Buy any GSM phone on Ebay, if it says unlocked that would be better. AT&T/ Cingular and T-mobile use GSM. Make sure it does not say TDMA. If he is a good friend ask him what model he wants.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
I guess the phones just must be cheaper in the US than here in Canada.
Each time I have gone the prices for a cell have been much less in the DR.

And if you want to buy used-you can still buy used there in the RD.

Just found it so much easier to know you have a phone that really is going to work when you bought in the RD.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Depending on who you are buying for you need to be very aware of what they want. In many cases not having the latest and greatest is just not good enough for their "image". Don't waste your money on something he might not use or just sell as soon as you leave the country. You might want to buy it here with him!

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Thanks! - This is Awesome!!!!!!

I have to say that the members of DR1 have come through for me big. I have lots and lots of information and I really appreciate it.

What I think I will do is give him my cell phone. I have just received a new motorolla razor phone. I had lost my other razor phone and the insurance sent me a new phone. Now I am going to switch cell companies and will get a new phone from them, so I am thinking of giving away my old phone.

Again, Thank you all very much for your quick responses. I had no idea about all of the options and I really appreciate the comment from planner who says the "Latest and Greatest" and more about "image"

Again, Thanks! - If you have more info to share, I'd be happy to hear it.

DAKRA

;)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
In many cases not having the latest and greatest is just not good enough for their "image".

I would just go for the iPHONE and a gift card to iTunes just to be sure their "image" is not tarnished with a Motorola. Why not go for the monthly calling plan while you are at it!
Apple - iPhone

tambo'

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I ask an AT&T rep and she stated that the IPhone won't work with any other carriers and you'll be forced into international roaming, yiikes.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I ask an AT&T rep and she stated that the IPhone won't work with any other carriers and you'll be forced into international roaming, yiikes.

I am not a phone guru, but I am fairly sure you can unlock any GSM phone.
The iPhone is already for sale on a few websites new and "unlocked". It will certainly cost more without a 2 year contract.

tambo'

Last edited:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I am not a phone guru, but I am fairly sure you can unlock any GSM phone.
The iPhone is already for sale on a few websites new and "unlocked". It will certainly cost more without a 2 year contract.

tambo'

I am also not 100% sure, maybe the phone would work but not the web browser.

If any poster browses with a smart phone in the DR, please chime in.