What continet is DR part of

corecto

Jun 18, 2003
To those of you who are good a geography. A friend of mine argues that the Caribbean is not part of the Americas's continent. What do you think?

Also why is South America a continent by itself? What about Central America are they for your help.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Well they are islands, so not really part of the continent - geographically speaking, although politically they are grouped with the americas. The english don't consider themselves part of europe, when they refer to europeans they don't include themselves.

Central America is considerred a sub-continent. South America, although attached to central america is considered it's own continent because it is huge land mass stemming from a little land mass. But some consider America, south, central, and north as just one large continent.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
To those of you who are good a geography. A friend of mine argues that the Caribbean is not part of the Americas's continent. What do you think?

North America
Also why is South America a continent by itself?

Because it is.

What about Central America are they for your help.

I'm not sure I understand your question, but I bet the answer is South America

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
It's only the Americans (Yankees) that feel that there is a North Central and South America...Us (Latin Americans) feel that America is one, whole continent we don't put divisions..

As to the OP question, I consider that DR is a Caribbean Nation, but I read somewhere that Cuba and RD were part of Peru, millions of years ago..so...

Last edited:

nancybelle

Feb 9, 2004
continent

When I studied world geography eons ago and had the highly esteemed Miss Pigford (scary with a ruler and a moustache!), we were taught that Mexico, the seven countries of Central America, and the islands of the Caribbean were considered part of North America, although technically, of course, the islands are "off the mainland."

Culturally speaking, those three areas were considered "Middle America."

South America was its own continent. I have no idea what the official line is today, but that's what we were taught in the middle of the last century!! I just wish I were there with y'all in La Republica Dominicana!!

Nancy Bell

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Nancy Belle is correct:

The North American Continent

northamericacontinentphyx6.jpg

The South American Continent

southamericacontinentphay5.jpg

engels64

Feb 27, 2007
Only one America

When I studied Geography there was only one America and then some sub-divisions to make studies easier.

The continents:

Africa
Asia
Europe
Australia
Antarctica
America (Sub-divisions: N. America, Central America and the Caribbean, and South America)

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
When I studied Geography there was only one America and then some sub-divisions to make studies easier.

The continents:

Africa
Asia
Europe
Australia
Antarctica
America (Sub-divisions: N. America, Central America and the Caribbean, and South America)

Exactly, that's what I am sayin'.

engels64

Feb 27, 2007
Absolutely

Anyone else get annoyed when The US is referred to as "America"?

I absolutely hate when they refer to the US as "America", whenever I hear that from someone I tend to tell them you mean "United States of America" because there are other countries in the American continent and they don't take the name all for themselves.....

;)

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

The continents:

Africa
Asia
Europe
Australia
Antarctica

I Studied Europe, Asia, Africa, America with sub.. and Oceania. Australia is part of Oceania.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
To Quote the Honorable Rodney King........

Can't We All Just Get Along!

The Map should answer the OPs Questions. I read and reviewed it and the answer is North America.

As far as calling the USA "America" - Who cares.... That is an individual thing. Here in the U.S., school children are taught that the name is the USA (The United States of America) - so, its just a matter of how individuals decide they want to refer to it..

Just for the record when I ask the Almighty himself for blessings, I ask him to please bless the USA, DR, Cuba, Venezuela, etc...., plus all others.... and of course I mean North America, South America, Europe, Africa, etc.... and all others....

SO! - Can't we all just get along? ......
:chinese:

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Can't We All Just Get Along!

The Map should answer the OPs Questions. I read and reviewed it and the answer is North America.

As far as calling the USA "America" - Who cares.... That is an individual thing. Here in the U.S., school children are taught that the name is the USA (The United States of America) - so, its just a matter of how individuals decide they want to refer to it..

Just for the record when I ask the Almighty himself for blessings, I ask him to please bless the USA, DR, Cuba, Venezuela, etc...., plus all others.... and of course I mean North America, South America, Europe, Africa, etc.... and all others....

SO! - Can't we all just get along? ......
:chinese:

The answer is America

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
The english don't consider themselves part of europe, when they refer to europeans they don't include themselves.
By what authority do you make this bizarre assertion? England has always been culturally and geographically part of Europe and is now now politically part of Europe as well. I am English and European (which takes precedence depends on the context). Please do not mislead our American friends into thinking differently.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There Is Being,"POLITICALLY CORRECT", AND Being RIGHT!

EVERY person I have EVER met,in the WHOLE WORLD!, (Especially Dominicans!!)ALWAYS asks, "Are you an AMERICAN?" !!!!!!!!
Not, "Are you a "North American?", Or ,"Are You an "United States of AMERICAN?"!!!!
GET OVER IT!!!

"AMERICANS", come from,and were born in,"The United States of America"!
If you don't like it,we will Bomb you into the "Stone Age"!!!!!!!!!;)

"Proud To Be An "AMERICAN"!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PS, ALL Dominicans think we are from "Nueba Yol" anyway!

KeithUK

Feb 8, 2006
By what authority do you make this bizarre assertion? England has always been culturally and geographically part of Europe and is now now politically part of Europe as well. I am English and European (which takes precedence depends on the context). Please do not mislead our American friends into thinking differently.

(being sarcastic)
I hate it when Americans call The United Kingdom of Great Britain (UK)
"England".
I say I am Welsh, I am from Wales and I am British,