CNN Drugs and DR Tonight 6pm est

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
You all probably noticed that this news is actually anti-Chavez spin, because the Chavez government threw out the DEA from Venezuela, after suspecting their complicity in the drug traffic. Actually, the United Nation's Drug and Crime Office (UNODC) lists Venezuela as the third country in the world with the highest volumen amount of drug interdictions in 2006. Did you all know that when Pablo Escobar ran the Medellin cartel, an ounce of cocaine had a NY street value of US$600? Well, it's down to US$20 to US$30 nowadays. Something inconceive without suspecting complicity from drug interdiction authorities. Only last week, Venezuelan authorities captured an airplane loaded with 3 tons of cocaine in the Venezuelan island of Margarita, flown by two US citizens, that had taken off from an airfield in Mexico, and was headed to Guinea Bissau, on the Western Coast of Africa. According to the UN office, about 65% of the 450 tons of cocaine headed to the US market, goes by way of the Pacific and Central American countries, not through the Caribbean...

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Glad you mention Guinea Bissau, care to guestimate how much of the cocaine making a stop in that part of Africa in its way to Europe originates or first makes a stop in Venezuela?

And guest where the best growth currently is at: hint hint, ..Europe"

"Cocaine use is now higher in Spain than in the U.S., according to the U.N."

Last edited:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
According to the UN office, about 65% of the 450 tons of cocaine headed to the US market, goes by way of the Pacific and Central American countries, not through the Caribbean...

What about the other 35% percent of that going to the U.S. market? ...what about the cocaine headed to Europe?..

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
well...i am not sure what the percentages are etc. But with all the reports on DR1 about the spike in drug use and crime over the past few years i would think folks would welcome a high profile article on CNN. With the war on terror...the war on drugs has gone out the window. (it was a joke anyhoo)

anyways...perhaps this article will provoke SOME response from the US as far as aid (i doubt it tho...americans have an attention span of about 2 minutes...unless its about paris---and not the city).

The printed article doesnt bash the DR..but rather points out that the country doesnt have the supplies it needs to combat this plague.

Dont count on help from the US tho as dubbya has wasted all our gazillions of dollars on a wasted war effort.

On the other hand...i have not heard of the fernandez or past admins asking for any help from the US on this problem.

I will tune in tonight

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Mirador said:
Actually, the United Nation's Drug and Crime Office (UNODC) lists Venezuela as the third country in the world with the highest volumen amount of drug interdictions in 2006.

Trying to say a lot without saying much of anything? Please don't tell me Colombia and Mexico are number one and number two?

Antonio Mazzitelli of the U.N. Office on Drugs and Crime, who is responsible for western Africa, said he knew of no busts or seizures in his region that stemmed from information provided by Venezuela.

"The majority of the big seizures have been because a plane broke down" or because of Spanish or French high-seas interdictions, he said by phone from Dakar, Senegal.
A Dutch naval intelligence officer on the Caribbean island of Curacao, Lt. Cmdr. Frank Hermans, lamented the scarcity of shared intelligence from Venezuela, which is about 40 miles away: "We only encounter targets of interest coming from Venezuela due to surveillance."

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
is there an echo here?....

Did you guys miss the news about a year ago when a DC9 (tail number N900SA) was at an airport in Yucatan carrying an astonishing 5.5 TONS of cocaine, one of the owners of which was appointed in 1993 to the Business Advisory Council of the National Republican Congressional Committee by then-Congressional Majority Leader Tom Delay?

MC Morning News

I would like to know how much of the about 450 TONS of cocaine consumed last year in the United States is interdicted by DEA (or other US government drug interdiction authorities) within the borders of the continental United States?

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Did you guys miss the news about a year ago when a DC9 (tail number
N900SA) was at an airport in Yucatan carrying an astonishing 5.5 TONS of cocaine, one of the owners of which was appointed in 1993 to the Business Advisory Council of the National Republican Congressional Committee by then-Congressional Majority Leader Tom Delay?

Yeah, the Republican Party has had a lot of problem there. Kinda with the Clintons selling stays at the White House's Lincoln bedroom, that symbolic title was given out basically depending on contributing above a certain threshold to the Republican party. In fact, a muslim with that title was recently indicted on high terrorism charges in New York.

I would like to know how much of the about 450 TONS of cocaine consumed last year in the United States is interdicted by DEA (or other US government drug interdiction authorities) within the borders of the continental United States?

Hard to interdict it once it has been consumed, lol.

Last edited:

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
unfortunately...the problem has become a problem in the DR as many folks are getting hooked on the drugs and being paid in drugs...add on top of that the rampant corruption...and its a DR problem as well as US problem.

Unfortunately..the live article on TV tonight was VERY brief and sorta shuffled along with immigration. So I doubt it caught too many eyes in the US who arent already interested in DR stuff.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Unfortunately..the live article on TV tonight was VERY brief and sorta shuffled along with immigration. So I doubt it caught too many eyes in the US who arent already interested in DR stuff.
The report focused on Puerto Rico's increasing problem of controlling the flow of drugs as they are smuggled via the Mona Passage.

The "Hispaniola connection" was aired two days ago.

All in all, the CNN reporters are blaming the US government (more specifically George Bush's policies) for the increase in drug flow into Puerto Rico (and by default, into Hispaniola) as the anti-drug funds were diverted from Puerto Rico to the War in Iraq. As more and more drug slips into Puerto Rico, less and less funding the government is giving them to combat the drug problem in order to take care of what's occuring in Iraq, which is another mess on its own.

-NALs