Canada Post

dchenriquez

Jan 26, 2005
Just a quick question for anyone thats ever sent anything via Canada Post to Dominican Republic.
I sent a small bubble envelope the other day via Air to Santo Domingo from Toronto. They lady in the post office told me it's suppose to get there within 6-10 days. Inside i had a memory card for a phone and a phone battery (tiny) and some photos and a letter. My question is... i did declare what was inside on the outside of the envelope like i was told with the approx. worth of each item. Is there any chance of this package getting there with all the contents still inside in the said 6-10 days? I've never sent anything this way before, always just regular surface post and it takes usually 3 weeks to 3 months. So, just wondering if there is any chance of it being there this month. Anyone with expierience???
Thanks!

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I've never sent anything by just "regular" or "air" post... however, I have sent packages via Canada Post using their priority service, which is basically like a courier and even that took almost a month when it is supposed to take something like 7 days max. Hopefully you will get lucky as I think that is the only way it will get there on time.

I don't know what the problem is because I think the package leaves Canada almost right away. It likely sits in customs in the DR for a long time or, as my husband and I found out during the immigration process, the local post office holds mail for sometimes up to two weeks until the guy has enough to make walking around town to deliver it worthwhile. Therefore, tell your husband to go to his local post office himself and check daily.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
The odds of this envelope arriving intact are slim to none! Sorry. The issue is NOT Canada Post but what happens when it arrives here. Damn if I know what actually happens but I can tell you what does NOT happen...... It just won't get here - unless you are extremely lucky!

dchenriquez

Jan 26, 2005
ok well thanks for your honesty!!! i'm going to be very upset if it doesn't get there AT ALL!! Hopefully it will arrive with even some of it's contents. So, i will tell my husband to check with the post office to find out if it's sitting there. Thanks so much. I suspect the hold up is usually at customs, i'm sure it sits there for a long time. But then Canada post should not give a time frame on the arrival, it's kind of misleading. They could say that it will arrive in the DR within 6-10 days but probably won't arrive at the destination address for quite sometime afterwards. Thanks again.

gambler1234

Jun 7, 2007
canada post

I think it depends on where you send the stuff. I've sent two things regular mail to my boyfriend in Puerto Plata and he's never received them (thank goodness they were just cards), however I've sent two things to his mother in Cabrera and she's received them both, intact, in 7-10 days. Go figure????

dchenriquez

Jan 26, 2005
Wow, thats really really wierd! Everything i've ever sent has gotten there. But normally I just send a card or some photos or something, to Punta Cana and they usually arrive within 3 weeks. However, my mom sent a card there last year and it took 3 months, but did eventually arrive. This time i sent it to Santo domingo and i sent it via Air, and am a little nervous cause it had things of value in it. Thats all. Oh well....i guess nothing i can do but wait. And hope. I will have learned my lesson if it doesn't get there, thats for sure.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
There is a new post office in Punta Cana. At Plaza Sol Bavaro, in front of La Marqueta de Bavaro supermarket. In the future, check it out. Having a p.o.box with a number may be a low cost way to receive mail.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
ok well thanks for your honesty!!! i'm going to be very upset if it doesn't get there AT ALL!! Hopefully it will arrive with even some of it's contents. So, i will tell my husband to check with the post office to find out if it's sitting there. Thanks so much. I suspect the hold up is usually at customs, i'm sure it sits there for a long time. But then Canada post should not give a time frame on the arrival, it's kind of misleading. They could say that it will arrive in the DR within 6-10 days but probably won't arrive at the destination address for quite sometime afterwards. Thanks again.

Canada post gives a time frame on the arrival in the D.R. What happens after that...well....specially if there is money or calling card.

Tee Bone

Jun 16, 2007
Anything from Canada always takes a month.

Usine EPS, I have never had anything stolen

Shipping from the US to Eps arrives in as little as 1 week

dchenriquez

Jan 26, 2005
What is EPS? Is that like UPS? I would have used them, except the cost was $75, where as the cost for Canada post was only $8.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I don't know if this will help, but I had 4 shock absorbers mailed to me by insured post, and addressed to a government official (friend) and they arrived here safely in a reasonable amount of time.
The idea of addressing it to a government official, is that we felt it was less likely to be stolen, and insuring the contents is an additional precaution, if the items are valuable (In this case, over $400 US).
From what I understand, the postal system is improving, but it would still be very unwise to send anything that is desirable for a postal employee to steal, like a cellphone or cash.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
What is EPS? Is that like UPS? I would have used them, except the cost was $75, where as the cost for Canada post was only $8.

You haven't heard the saying "The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweet taste of low price is forgotten."
If it was important you should have used UPS.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
....or maybe your parcel went to Dominica?
A few years ago my son sent me a Birthday parcel through Canada Post and when I finally got it, it indicated it went to Dominica first and then to the DR.
Funny, but I did get it after all. Just be patient.

Tee Bone

Jun 16, 2007

EPS is a mail forwarding service. This service gives DR residents or visitors access to a secure mail facility however a little pricey. I just paid $10 to recieve some headphones. The George Forman grill is on the way and will probabally cost 20-30

To recieve a letter costs about $3

dchenriquez

Jan 26, 2005
Just wanted to update everyone on the package that i started this thread about. I was quoted 6-10 business days by Canada Post and it arrived in Santo Domingo this morning, so it was a few days early if you can believe it. AND, the package was unopened and all contents were inside!!!! It's a miracle. I can't believe it actually worked. So, there ya go!! That was some good luck i think.

allison_mary

Jul 12, 2007
mail

I did a little experiment and sent a package UPS and one through canada post. Lets just say the UPS package arrived in 2-3 days and the canada post package never arrived. If you are sending valuable stuff I would say to pay the extra $ so you know for sure it will arrive. Canada post makes sure that the package arrives in DR...but what happens from there is the question....sorry

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
I sent a package once air mail.... 6-10 days my ass.... it got there 6 months later and I was there 3 times in the 6 months I could've taken it myself...

dchenriquez

Jan 26, 2005
Well, i don't know why i had such good luck with my package but I thank god i did!! The contents were all things that could have been replaced if need be, but they did total to about $60 or so, so I would have been a little upset if it never got there. So i'm glad i paid only $7 via Canada Post, versus the $70 through Purolator or Fed Ex. Perhaps i just got lucky, who knows. I still can't believe that it actually arrived before the 10 days were even up!