Thread: Phone Cards

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Phone Cards

Anyone know how much it is to buy a SIM card for a phone down in the DR?

Thanks

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Tresciento Pesos con Orange

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok so how much is that?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

about 10 bucks $US. I can't remember if its the same amount if your phone needs to be unlocked.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently bought a Claro prepaid SIM - it cost RD$290 (approx US$9). I brought a spare phone with me from Australia and they unlocked the SIM and set everything up for me.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo900 View Post
    about 10 bucks $US. I can't remember if its the same amount if your phone needs to be unlocked.
    Orange dealer will NOT unlock the phone for you.

You have to go to a workshop that says "venta y reparacion de celulares" that will do the job for you. Depending on the model and difficulty of the task, anywhere from 400 to 1000 pesos for an unlock.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default GSM phone unlock/unblock

I know that in the USA, if you are a customer for at least 3 months you can ask your provider to provide you the "Unlock" code, and they will do so. At least, this is the case with T-Mobil. I just did it with a new cel phone that nobody here in the DR could "UNLOCK". They sent an email to me with the code and instructions for my particular phone and I did it myself.

Careful about taking a good/newer cel phone to a repair/service shop anywhere in th DR. They have a bad habit of exchanging part from your phone, in particular, the battery. Good batteries are swaped for weak one all the time without the customer being aware, till it is too late. It is just the "dominican way" of doing business. Buyer beware...