Phone Cards

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
about 10 bucks $US. I can't remember if its the same amount if your phone needs to be unlocked.

Sanation

May 21, 2007
I recently bought a Claro prepaid SIM - it cost RD$290 (approx US$9). I brought a spare phone with me from Australia and they unlocked the SIM and set everything up for me. :)

Feb 7, 2007
about 10 bucks $US. I can't remember if its the same amount if your phone needs to be unlocked.
Orange dealer will NOT unlock the phone for you.

You have to go to a workshop that says "venta y reparacion de celulares" that will do the job for you. Depending on the model and difficulty of the task, anywhere from 400 to 1000 pesos for an unlock.

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
GSM phone unlock/unblock

I know that in the USA, if you are a customer for at least 3 months you can ask your provider to provide you the "Unlock" code, and they will do so. At least, this is the case with T-Mobil. I just did it with a new cel phone that nobody here in the DR could "UNLOCK". They sent an email to me with the code and instructions for my particular phone and I did it myself.

Careful about taking a good/newer cel phone to a repair/service shop anywhere in th DR. They have a bad habit of exchanging part from your phone, in particular, the battery. Good batteries are swaped for weak one all the time without the customer being aware, till it is too late. It is just the "dominican way" of doing business. Buyer beware...