Destruction of Las Terranas

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Yes, I know that the title to this thread sounds a bit drastic. But for those of us who have visited Las Terranas over the past ten years, the transformation of this quaint, quiet, pristine, absolutely beautiful village on Samana Peninsula can only be described as destruction. The village is now beset by traffic jams and smog, off all things! Construction of large hotels continues unabated. I cannot fathom how the infrastructure can sustain such development. M'Frog stated on another thread in this Forum that Las Terranas is changed forever. That saddens me greatly.

I guess my question is what, if anything, can, or should, be done to limit this kind of limitless growth? And is this what we can expect in the future for other areas of the DR?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Yes, I know that the title to this thread sounds a bit drastic. But for those of us who have visited Las Terranas over the past ten years, the transformation of this quaint, quiet, pristine, absolutely beautiful village on Samana Peninsula can only be described as destruction. The village is now beset by traffic jams and smog, off all things! Construction of large hotels continues unabated. I cannot fathom how the infrastructure can sustain such development. M'Frog stated on another thread in this Forum that Las Terranas is changed forever. That saddens me greatly.

I guess my question is what, if anything, can, or should, be done to limit this kind of limitless growth? And is this what we can expect in the future for other areas of the DR?
It is sad, and nothing can stop "progress", specially when they have a new airport nearby.
Perhaps Las Galeras will remain clean and pristine.
We can only hope.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I agree with both previous posters. However, there's no way that the whole Saman? Peninsula could escape this gigantic touristic development coming now... It will be from EL Catey to Las Galeras, a huge touristic area...

Think about Spain, before & after tourism...

I am not saying it's good... It's just a huge & powerful movement. It will go on...

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Sigh. I know you guys may think I'm being whimpy, but I have traveled on the Caribe Tours bus from San Franscisco de Marcoris to Samana and the views on the route through Naga along the Ocean front are absolutely wonderful. I have looked forward with great anticipation to taking that ride for the past ten years. Do you really think that in the near future the route will be congested and dotted with walled-in AI's or mega-hotels and Pizza Huts?!

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Do you really think that in the near future the route will be congested and dotted with walled-in AI's or mega-hotels and Pizza Huts?!

Within 10 years, somehow, yes... Maybe not so much with AI's, but more like condos, apartments, private villas... I am not sure about any Pizza Hut, as so far we have a bunch of great restaurants, but I guesstimate we'll witness the arrival of famous fast-food joint in less than the 10 years previously mentioned.

-Hey, Ron, when was your last visit to LT ?

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
FABULOUS, Squat!!! The beach there is absolutely wondeful! They define the word 'tranquilo'. The Colibri is still my favorite place to stay on the peninsula. It is still surprising to me how much has changed in so little time. Fortunately, there are still times during the year when there are very few other tourists visiting, and you have the entire beach in Las Terranas to yourself. It's wonderful! I fear for it's' survival.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Money, money, money...

... I fear for it's' survival.

Well, as said, the quaintness is gone and will not come back.
A long beach walk will be interrupted by hotel guards telling you to get lost as this is 'private beach'.
Already there is hardly a hill left which is not owned by speculators.

There's nothing one can do except hope for crime to burst the bubble....
One day the frog will sell out for mafia money and move to a more tranquil place...

m'frog

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i only visited samana and i loved it...
there is no way such a beautiful place could be left alone. not in a country that relies on tourism so heavily.
maybe at least they will fix those darn roads?

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
How did the Eagles put it...

Some rich men came and raped the land,
Nobody caught 'em
Put up a bunch of ugly boxes, and Jesus,
people bought 'em
And they called it paradise
The place to be
They watched the hazy sun, sinking in the sea

They call it paradise
I don't know why
You call someplace paradise,
kiss it goodbye

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Ok, I am sipping my Sunday morning coffee and reading again this thread... Of course, I feel concerned. I live & work here...

But I have to be fair. Indeed, it doesn't look the way it did when I first saw it 10 years ago, but Las Terrenas is still a very nice place to be.

There are many good aspects of the development as well : Las Terrenas is one of the very few places in the whole island with an (almost) 24/7 electrical power service. It is also a place with an interesting mix of expats, Europeans/Americans. That gets to be important for me after all those years, I have been diving so deep into Dominican culture that I finally start to appreciate some European influence.

I can walk to a local supermarket and buy a real "baguette", you know, the french bread. That is also priceless.

And I can take the kids to "paradise-like" beach on Sunday, thus living the life of a millionaire ;)

And somehow, now that I think of it, this whole "hysteria" of development is very hectic, very dynamic. It is fascinating, for the best & for the worst, there's a lot of energy there.

But I am just like the Frog, I have my own "Plan B"...

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Froghill Retreat

....I can walk to a local supermarket and buy a real "baguette", you know, the french bread. That is also priceless.

Oh, that's true.
(Although a frog I'd rather eat my wholesome German sour dough rye bread... ;) ).

I remember the days when one had to drive all the way to SD every few weeks to do one's shopping.
Now we have a few French bakeries, good European style restaurants, several well stocked supermarkets and hardware stores.
A short while ago even a German butcher opened.
So life has become so much easier here.

I suppose the ongoing developments have their advantages also... that is if you're able to retreat to a quiet hill and the frogs. :laugh:

m'frog

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I guess it's just a little different for the guys who live there year round. As many times as I've visited, I hate to say it, but I'm still a tourist. For me, Las Terrenas is an escape from the hectic.

But you are both sooo right. It is really nice to find reliable electricity and hot water, a good French bakery, a well-stocked supermarket with, I hasten to add, a great array of wines and spirits and, to work it all off, a fairly well equipped gym, in paradise!

So I'm selfish; I admit it. ;)

buthieo

May 18, 2005
las terrannces progress or disaster

We HAVE watched in a short time las terrances change in a few short years has a property owner there isnt this what we all knew was coming new airport new roads, property vaule up up up no more poco pasha what did we do

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Las Terrenas

....las terrances ...

I don't really know which town you're talking about.
Whenever you tried to spell out LT you failed (in all your posts). :tired:

You got to be a local... :cheeky:

Janin