Sosua move....

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Hi all!!
I am moving to Sosua in 30 days.....hasnt time flown by!! I am going crazy thinking about everything and anything that I may/may not need/want....phew, I will be glad to give my mind a break!!!

Just got a quick question, I have been to laundrettes in Sosua and Charamicos and they were fine (I love the smell of the washing powder!!)....but, I was wondering if there are places where you can go and do your own laundry and use machines? Is this cheaper or should I just continue going to the laundry places where the people do it all for you?

Thanks all....if anyone has any advice for me fast approaching move, I would be glad to hear it.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hi all!!
I am moving to Sosua in 30 days.....hasnt time flown by!! I am going crazy thinking about everything and anything that I may/may not need/want....phew, I will be glad to give my mind a break!!!

Just got a quick question, I have been to laundrettes in Sosua and Charamicos and they were fine (I love the smell of the washing powder!!)....but, I was wondering if there are places where you can go and do your own laundry and use machines? Is this cheaper or should I just continue going to the laundry places where the people do it all for you?

Thanks all....if anyone has any advice for me fast approaching move, I would be glad to hear it.
I think there's one next to Club Residencial, but I suspect it's not much cheaper than having it done for you.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
There are certainly laundrettes in Puerto Plata where you put your own clothes in the machine but the real Dominican way (other than doing it by hand yourself!) is to rent a washing machine for a morning (when you know you have water ;)). The guy will deliver it on the back of a motoconcho. You can impress the boyfriend with your knowledge by asking him to call the washing machine rental guy..............:)

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
How much is it to rent a washer? And, stupid question, where are you supposed to try the clothes? I have never seen a washing line or anything that people put their clothes on. Maybe its easier just to send my clothes to be washed. How lazy is that lol.

Yep, I always bring Brillante washing powder back home with me so I can smell Dominican while in the UK.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
... Maybe its easier just to send my clothes to be washed. How lazy is that lol.
If you can't find someone, this may be an alternative - benefits are great, you'd meet more people, less power consumption, ... etc. ;)
4pcwupg.jpg

And I agree, freshly washed clother do smell better in the DR.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Lol Thanks Shad!!! I have missed you and your sense of humour!! I will give that a go....I will practice balancing a basket on my head now.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hey, I can do that ... balancing the basket business I mean. Where I come from, it was a necessity, a fashion statement and if you could not do that, you surely did not fit into normal society :laugh: No, you don't walk very straight and tall, you kinda swing the hips around with the basket! Hips are a little forward. Not like the English way where you learn 'comportment' with 4 books on your head and all straight up....

What were we talking about?

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
earlc777

I can't wait to see you with the baskets on your head!!!!

From one BWAG friend to another!!!!

See you September 8th

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Pardon my lack of knowledge, but I even Googled it and still don't know what a BWAG is.

British Wives And Girlfriends maybe?

Eralc777, it used to be 30 pesos for the morning (to hire the machine) but that was years ago - it'll have gone up since then. I'm afraid it is info I no longer have a need to know because I have a machine. And to dry the clothes, if you want to do it the Dominican way you put them over hedges or walls. But it's easy enough to put up a piece of rope between 2 poles & peg out.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Lol Sammystorm....you might just see me washing my clothes like that.

Lambada....you are close!! Definately wives and girlfriends....I will look into the washing machine thing when I get there. Although I do need to wash loads of my stuff when I first get there so I will just visit the laundrette.

How exciting...it is now 3 weeks and 6 days (or in an hour and a half!)