Starvation

jmsunlinenet

May 24, 2005
Do people actually starve to death in the DR, or are there some kind of charities or soup kitchens to dispense food to the really indigent.

The reason I ask is because a former novia keeps harrassing me for cash. She supports her mother (in her sixties) and two kids (17 & 11). She has some health problems, anemia, asthma, and a wound on her foot from a moto accident, and while she would be willing to work as a puta, her age and the competitive nature of the business make it unlikely she could make any money. She has no employment skills, drinks way, way too much, and is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I was and am totally sick of the mother, and now I have a new late-model novia who is a fine person, but I was fond of the prior novia's kids and really don't want to think of them suffering. I don't believe their fathers are on the scene at all. I cannot afford to keep sending money for them.

They have various cousins etc., so I would think there are some relatives who could feed the children and the grandmother, though they are all poor. I have known the mother for 3 1/2 years, so I think there is a certain amount of truth in what she is saying and that it is not just standard manipulative lies, but even so, leaving aside the question as to whether the mother is telling the truth, and assuming that she is telling the truth, do children actually starve to death in the DR if there is no money for food?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Most Dominicans don't starve...Your former novia wants to squeeze the most cash out of you, that sums it all up...

jmsunlinenet

May 24, 2005
Question

Thanks, but that was not the question. What do you mean by "most"? Does that mean that SOME Dominicans DO starve to death? Under what circumstances?

And I asked if ASSUMING what she said was true, would they starve? Obviously I understand that she may just be trying to extract some money. In fact I sent her something on condition that she not bother me again in any way and that she erase my number from her cell phone (some hope!). If she doesn't I will probably change my number, but that is a whole different issue.

engels64

Feb 27, 2007
Absolutely

Although, it might sound unusual and unlikely that a child starve to death in the DR, it is possible and it has happened. When my girlfriend's mother lived in the DR when lost a two year child fue to malnutrition...but then again this was ages ago. I ma pretty sure is quite possible.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Thanks, but that was not the question. What do you mean by "most"? Does that mean that SOME Dominicans DO starve to death? Under what circumstances?

And I asked if ASSUMING what she said was true, would they starve? Obviously I understand that she may just be trying to extract some money. In fact I sent her something on condition that she not bother me again in any way and that she erase my number from her cell phone (some hope!). If she doesn't I will probably change my number, but that is a whole different issue.

Of course it happens, people go with maybe a piece of platano or yuca a day and lots of black coffee or just tea, no food all day. Of course it happens. Dominican people don't really like to tell others about that, its embarassing to have to beg in the streets or to your neighbors.
Starving like in Africa? no I don't think that happens, but if you see people who are really skinny, you know they are hardly eating, and medical attention has to be paid, no doctor will see you if you don't pay their ridiculous fees.
I don't think its your responsibility to support them but at 17, the older kid could be working, hopefully is a boy that's the oldest, try to find him a job if you would like to help.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
By "most" I left some space for some very sad cases that might occur here & there. Of course, I always have been living in "easy" areas (the regions of Puerto Plata, Santiago & Saman?), so I might not know personally the real "tough" areas.

Being quite familiar with Haiti, I tend to view "most" Dominicans as able to eat when needed...

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
JMS, i am sure your ex puta and family will not starve to death. The only thing your Western Union money is doing is scarring a liver or burning a hole in her nose. Get honest with yourself and do not let the thought of the kids hold you hostage. They got by before you and will do so when you no longer send them cash. Do not loose any sleep over it. They will not.

jmsunlinenet

May 24, 2005
Southwest

I am sure it happens, especially in the southwest. Not as bad as Haiti, but it happens.

Mmmm. They live in Sabana Grande de Palenque, a town of about 15,000 near San Cristobal in the south west of the country. I have been there a couple of times, but it is hard to determine whether the poverty level is worse than elsewhere. Certainly I have seen some VERY primitive homes that compare poorly with my toolshed, but you could find these anywhere.

jmsunlinenet

May 24, 2005
I hope not

JMS, i am sure your ex puta and family will not starve to death. The only thing your Western Union money is doing is scarring a liver or burning a hole in her nose. Get honest with yourself and do not let the thought of the kids hold you hostage. They got by before you and will do so when you no longer send them cash. Do not loose any sleep over it. They will not.

Well, that is the whole point. The ex-novia texts me saying that she cannot sleep at night, because she cannot bear to know her children have nothing to eat and that while she knows she has done some bad things, her children are innocent etc.

Yes, the son is 17 so I imagine he could earn some money. He is hoping to be signed as a professional baseball player, but I have no idea whether this is a realistic ambition. He is apparently a promising player and a couple of years ago I paid for him to go to a baseball camp in Puerto Rico, but whether he has any chance of making it as a pro, I have no idea.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
He is apparently a promising player and a couple of years ago I paid for him to go to a baseball camp in Puerto Rico, but whether he has any chance of making it as a pro, I have no idea.

Wait a second, Puerto Rico? Did you go with him? Isn't getting into Puerto Rica as hard as getting a visa for the US?

jmsunlinenet

May 24, 2005
Puerto Rico

No, I didn't go, but I saw pictures of the trip, including some taken on the ferry and arriving in PR. He had to have a passport. I don't know all the details of visas, but there is probably some provision for educational and/or sporting links.

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Mmmm. They live in Sabana Grande de Palenque, a town of about 15,000 near San Cristobal in the south west of the country. I have been there a couple of times, but it is hard to determine whether the poverty level is worse than elsewhere. Certainly I have seen some VERY primitive homes that compare poorly with my toolshed, but you could find these anywhere.

I have heard that the Soutwest and the border is worse than elsewhere.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I find it hard to believe that people can starve to death in this lush, green country. Correct me if I am wrong but surely there is always lots of fruit and protein available?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I find it hard to believe that people can starve to death in this lush, green country. Correct me if I am wrong but surely there is always lots of fruit and protein available?
Whatever deaths related to "hunger" in the DR are probably mostly due to malnutrition and not hunger itself.

Malnutrition actually appears in two forms (from my understanding).

1. There is the usual malnutrition everyone thinks of (ie. low calories/protein/vitamin diet, irregular eating pattern which usually results in less than a meal a day, etc). This is evident in people who are extremely skinny.

2. Then there is the malnutrition which rears its head in the U.S. (and as the DR becomes more comfortable with junk food, so too can you expect this to rear its head over there) which basically is the result of people eating a lot of food with low nutritional value. This is evident in people who are over-weight, but interestingly are malnourished. Its quite a paradox.

Real straight forward hunger is rare in the DR, just how homelessness is also rare.

-NALs

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
In Quisqueya, it is a custom to cook and have lunch around noon. So when I was a kid, I used to see 2 or 3 people visiting the house precisely around the time, around 11:20. On monday you'll see 2 or 3 other people, on tuesday, a different set of people, wednesday, another ones, etc. Let's say that Pepito goes to Mrs. A's house on monday, then on tuesday, he'll go to Mr. B's house, wednesday to Mrs. C's house, etc.

That's how lots of people float in DR. What people call " lambones". They go under the guise that they're just " visiting". I didn't know when i was a kid, but i realized it later on. My family never denied food to anyone, my aunt was always ready to cook for some 2 or 3 extra mouths, but ofcourse, the family members were the ones getting the best parts(like the meat).

Another thing, when poorer people that have difficulty with floating( finding food), and they have friends that are more affluent, they want them to be " padrino" or " madrina", in that way, is like a guarantee that their kids will never starve.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I am always critisised for cooking too much food but even in the UK I could guarantee there would often be 2 or 3 more people for Sunday lunch than I anticipated - hence the need for a bigger joint of meat and a few more roast potatoes and veg to be available!!

Sep 19, 2005
my gf lives out in the sticks kinda, and they have trees that always seem to have at least one thing to eat all year long( no not the same tree!!) if it is not one thing it is another type of fruit.

Also I see a lot of VERY VERY crimppled people on the sidewalks of Santiago, that in no way shape or form could preform any kind of work...after 2 years I see the same SEVERLY handicaped people in the same areas. They only get money from begging and possibly relatives.

with all the chikens and animals running around and the fruits and vegatables growing in the country side.... and the fact that the rural dominicans will feed amny many people around them if they need it...it really is hard to believe starvation is any kind of issue.

malnutrition...a whole other story!!!

bob

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
I Hear Ya...

Still a sad state of affairs - I hate to see anyone go hungry.

After missing lunch, I am a mean Sun of a Gun! - -

Just really sad to think about those who do not have enough to eat. :eek: