Retirement in the DR

RedCell X

Sep 23, 2006
Hey Guys,

Help me please, single male planning retirement in the DR I would like to hear your opinions on the best part of the DR to retire, I am looking at three areas Cabarete, Sousa and Puerto Plata. I am looking for an area that has excellent broadband internet or even fiber optic connection, Food Stores and Night Life, Good electricity service and quick access to emergency areas such as clinics, hospitals or police station lets not forget a safe environment. I have a friend who visited the DR frequently and he has nothing but good praises about Puerto Plata he relates to it as heaven on earth NO I am not exaggerating the place had an everlasting effect on him. I would like to hear your opinion on which area you feel I should be looking at. Thanks in advance for your honest opinion

Thanks
RedCell X

RedCell X

Sep 23, 2006
Retirement In the DR

Hello,

In case of an emergency I dont want to spend 10 hours trying to get medical attention just being proactive, and NO I have never been to the DR.

Thanks
RedCell X

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Hey Guys,

Help me please, single male planning retirement in the DR I would like to hear your opinions on the best part of the DR to retire, I am looking at three areas Cabarete, Sousa and Puerto Plata. I am looking for an area that has excellent broadband internet or even fiber optic connection, Food Stores and Night Life, Good electricity service and quick access to emergency areas such as clinics, hospitals or police station lets not forget a safe environment. I have a friend who visited the DR frequently and he has nothing but good praises about Puerto Plata he relates to it as heaven on earth NO I am not exaggerating the place had an everlasting effect on him. I would like to hear your opinion on which area you feel I should be looking at. Thanks in advance for your honest opinion

Thanks
RedCell X

Ummmm, think it might be a good idea if you visit first bearing in mind that one person's heaven is anothers nightmare!! You may need to wait a lot longer than 10 hours for police to attend and prob would be better to have your own private amularnce in case of emergency!!! Despite a lfew little differences to what you are used to it is a wonderful place but please come and see first hand before you commit yourself to anything.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Hello,

In case of an emergency I dont want to spend 10 hours trying to get medical attention just being proactive, and NO I have never been to the DR.

Thanks
RedCell X

Firstly the medical insurance you buy here (if you have the right one) provides you with emergency numbers for help and ambulances, I have 4 diff tel nos for 4 ambulance companies. Secondly you will get a fast police response if you make the right contacts and have the right cel nos. I learnt a lot by reading this site 5years ago and following the advice of great people such as Ken and Rocky and AZB, who have been here many years.

One thing I was advised and have learnt was that this country is all about contacts, contacts, contacts and its true.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Ummmm, think it might be a good idea if you visit first bearing in mind that one person's heaven is anothers nightmare!! You may need to wait a lot longer than 10 hours for police to attend and prob would be better to have your own private amularnce in case of emergency!!! Despite a lfew little differences to what you are used to it is a wonderful place but please come and see first hand before you commit yourself to anything.
;) I know of a house for sale in Samana...even has a guard when you're gone...;)

koolkatrina

Nov 9, 2005
cobraboy is referring to this disturbing thread: http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/64314-bad-guys-won.html

RedCell X - I'm going back to the DR for the fourth time soon and even thinking about buying property. However, I am listening very carefully to all opinions and experiences from many people on this forum and three other forums and half a dozen blogs. Most recommend spending at least 6 months to one year renting a place, learn the language, learn as much as possible about DR life, culture, values, etc., visit many areas, make lots of contacts, then maybe consider looking for any type of investment. Don't jump into things because it looks nice in pictures. There are many issues that a tourist doesn't understand or experience that will affect your every day life if you choose to live there. Not everyone will be completely honest about every day life in the DR, especially the bad stuff. I've not had bad experiences in the DR yet, but I'm still not keen on packing up and moving there completely any time soon.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Hello,

Thanks
RedCell X
Then don't even think about retiring down here UNTILL you've spent at least 1 or 2 years. The above and forthcomming posts should help you out in your decision. When i retire, I'll be moving back to Canada full time.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Sorry Eddy I forgot to include you in all those great people that gave me advice when I moved here - thank you
I'm the last person in the world that will discourage someone from moving to the DR. I've spent 20+ years and some of the best times i've ever had. Things have changed. I can still cope with them, but there comes a time when a person wants to be closer to family. I have grand children in their 20's. (If they make me a Great Grandfather I'll #$#$ them LOL. I'm still relatively in good health. will spend 4 to 6 months a year in Sosua but my full time home will now be Montreal. Jazz festival, Merengue festival, fireworks, GOOOOOD FOOD, "I could go on forever. "Don't like the DWI laws LOL. Bottom line, health insurance, good driving conditions, security, "No Bars On Windows" respectfull drivers, no garbage etc. etc.
However, looking forward to seeing you all in December.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
RedCell X
PLEASE try a few holidays in the DR before getting serious about moving here. Find an apartment in Puerto Plata for a two week (or more) investigative holiday, take a saunter to Sosua & Cabarete to see if they are worth investigating further, & THEN spend a month or two in each that appeals to you.

Do you speak any Spanish or are you looking to exist in an English speaking Ex-Pat community?
Do you have any medical problems at the moment that would probably cause the need for regular treatment down here?
Have you investigated the REAL reason for your friend's comment about WHY he considers Puerto Plata "Heaven on Earth"?? Was it the culture or something a little less mentally challenging?

Read & inwardly digest the responses here & also visit the archives to see answers to the same questions you have asked (& a LOAD of others you did not yet ask!!). ~ Grahame.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I'm the last person in the world that will discourage someone from moving to the DR. I've spent 20+ years and some of the best times i've ever had. Things have changed. I can still cope with them, but there comes a time when a person wants to be closer to family. I have grand children in their 20's. (If they make me a Great Grandfather I'll #$#$ them LOL. I'm still relatively in good health. will spend 4 to 6 months a year in Sosua but my full time home will now be Montreal. Jazz festival, Merengue festival, fireworks, GOOOOOD FOOD, "I could go on forever. "Don't like the DWI laws LOL. Bottom line, health insurance, good driving conditions, security, "No Bars On Windows" respectfull drivers, no garbage etc. etc.
However, looking forward to seeing you all in December.[/
QUOTE]

Yessss sir. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do. + the weather is perfect to play golf, not too hot.

Last edited:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
RedCell X
PLEASE try a few holidays in the DR before getting serious about moving here. Find an apartment in Puerto Plata for a two week (or more) investigative holiday, take a saunter to Sosua & Cabarete to see if they are worth investigating further, & THEN spend a month or two in each that appeals to you.

Do you speak any Spanish or are you looking to exist in an English speaking Ex-Pat community?
Do you have any medical problems at the moment that would probably cause the need for regular treatment down here?
Have you investigated the REAL reason for your friend's comment about WHY he considers Puerto Plata "Heaven on Earth"?? Was it the culture or something a little less mentally challenging?

Read & inwardly digest the responses here & also visit the archives to see answers to the same questions you have asked (& a LOAD of others you did not yet ask!!). ~ Grahame.

Probably the best advice so far.