Beer Less Expensive

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Somebody should tell these vendors in Barahona and points south of me that info..I just paid 65 pesos for a Grande cerveza an hour ago..It sould have been 60 or less...

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
Beer prices in DR are ridiculously high, with or without the 5 peso reduction (big deal, my a..). In Germany you get a 0,33 l can of fairly strong (5-7 %) beer for the equivalent of 8 dominican pesos... OK, that's when you buy 72 cans at a time, in one of the supermarkets along the Danish border in Schleswig Holstein, but still. How much is a small Presidente at Super Pola these days? 35 pesos, or am I exaggerating?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Beer prices in DR are ridiculously high, with or without the 5 peso reduction (big deal, my a..). In Germany you get a 0,33 l can of fairly strong (5-7 %) beer for the equivalent of 8 dominican pesos... OK, that's when you buy 72 cans at a time, in one of the supermarkets along the Danish border in Schleswig Holstein, but still. How much is a small Presidente at Super Pola these days? 35 pesos, or am I exaggerating?
.25 a beer. Wow, haven't seen those prices since the 60's
In a Montreal convenience store it's about 2.00 per bottle (60.00) pesos. Expect tp pay 4 or 5 bucks in a bar. 4.00 X 30 = 120.00 pesos. Try some of the other Islands 200+ (In pesos) for a beer. I'm moving to Deutchland.LOL

gini

Dec 12, 2005
.25 a beer. Wow, haven't seen those prices since the 60's
In a Montreal convenience store it's about 2.00 per bottle (60.00) pesos. Expect tp pay 4 or 5 bucks in a bar. 4.00 X 30 = 120.00 pesos. Try some of the other Islands 200+ (In pesos) for a beer. I'm moving to Deutchland.LOL

Same thing in Belgium, in all big stores like Carrefour, Delhaize, Colruyt, Aldi, ao... you get Premium beer 0.33 l can between 0.24 and 0.27 ? (11 pesos) and you can buy only 1 if you want :cheeky:

I like Presidente but don't know what they put in to make it so expensive ! Probably special genuine DR juice lol ;)

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Somebody should tell these vendors in Barahona and points south of me that info..I just paid 65 pesos for a Grande cerveza an hour ago..It sould have been 60 or less...

Dominican retailers don't adjust prices until they reorder, or until they are forced to by the competition.

A couple years ago I was still finding rediculously underpriced high end alcohol in out of the way colmados, stuff that had been in stock for years because no one in that poor neighborhod buys it, the owners never checked the current price because they had no intention of reordering merchandise that nobody would buy.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
I find it interesting that the tax on beer was lowered recently and now theirs a supposed reduction in price yet the price of beer seems to have gone up since this past winter? Upon asking around people told me that since everyone had gotten used to paying this higher price that the bars and stores just left the price the same and took in the difference as more profit.

This may not be true everywhere but a lot of bars in the tourist areas are charging close to $3 for a domestic beer? This is about what you pay a bar in the states.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
This may not be true everywhere but a lot of bars in the tourist areas are charging close to $3 for a domestic beer? This is about what you pay a bar in the states.

Where in The Tri-State area can you buy a beer for under $4.50 in a Bar?

t'

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
The reduction works out to about 4 pesos less on a beer,as it is there is not much profit on beer why would you drop your price?