Calling DR from England

Aug 19, 2004
Can anyone recommend a good cheap phone card (or other alternative) to call the Dominican Republic from England - the one we were using (sold in Sainsbury's) seems to have gone bust.

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Try this one - tele discount - 5p min to Dominican landlines - 9p min mobiles

I think you pay a connection charge - anyway check it out

Good luck

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I used to use alpha telecom - just google it. Prepay by card and pretty cheap calls to everywhere.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
By far the best method for calling the DR that I have found from the UK is to buy and Orange pay as you go international sim card.

Calls cost 5p a min to a Dominican mobile or landline.....and you have the convienience of calling on the move from your mobile - lines are crystal clear, the same as calling a UK mobile/landline.

Text messages are 15p

I actually got the sim card for ?5 with ?5 'free' credit but I thinik it might have been a special offer at the time....I believe they cost just ?1 if you buy them online.

By the way - the list of countries you can call using the sim card as mentioned on their website is out of date because the DR isn't on that list.

Try it!
Daydream

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
If there is a computer at both ends ..... Skype is the way to go!! Free download program, sign up, connect on USB headset (earphones & microphone) & call your friends for FREE!!!
If only YOU have a computer, you can organise call OUT to & call IN from standard telephones but check the international charges - I pay about 0.50 of a Euro for a 20 minute call a landline number in the UK from the DR. That's about US $0.40 - less than US $0.10 per 5 minutes!!! ~ Grahame.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Personally I use Uni Tel phone cards. The signal is brilliant and you get ?6 for the price of ?5 on each card. It is free to use from a landline and is standard price if you use a mobile.

That orange sim card does sound like a good deal though. As I am moving soon, I dont think I will bother changing now. Uni Tel has always worked well for me but I can only get it from limited places.