Best day trips from Sosua

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
With having spent most of my time in Sosua and not having time to get away for a few days at a time what are the best day trips to take?

I've seen a bit of the country but not enough.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
With having spent most of my time in Sosua and not having time to get away for a few days at a time what are the best day trips to take?

I've seen a bit of the country but not enough.
Playa Caleton or Playa Grande near Rio San Juan.
Punta Rusia, East of POP.
Damagua Falls, south East of POP.
Beach at Monte Cristi, near Haitian border (bit far)
Rancho La Cumbre restaurant for lunch on the Sabaneta Moca road, with a stop in Jamao at El Choro, for a refreshing dip in the river.
Teleferico to the top of Isabela de Torres in POP, with a walk around the gardens up there. (Must be a clear day)

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Take a trip to waterfalls, not the big one there are smaller ones closer to Puerto Plata (on the POP to STI route I think) that are still worth a visit. I think any agent in the main street can organize that (although I did get mine from Cabarete). They pick you up and drop you off from your hotel whoerver you book it with.

There are other one's but I didn't try, I propbably try the horse riding/trecking next time I'm there.

(as I was typing, Rocky has submitted his, Damagua Falls I think is the one I'm talking about.....)

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
I've done the falls - nearly died from all of the climbing but didn't know there were smaller ones near POP.

I guess even a trip to Santiago (good restaurants there), seen Rio San Juan.

Is Monte Christi worth the trip? Much to see there?

anneeoakland

Feb 12, 2005
I second Punta Rusia -- a bumpy ride, but beautiful and tranquila. I read on here the diving is good there too. I enjoyed our swim and fresh lobster lunch.

Is Monte Christi worth the trip? Much to see there?

Beach is clean, small, little rougher than other DR ones. There are salt flats. Friendly people.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Not exactly a day trip, something many people don't seem to know but is definitely worth a visit, the Museo Judeo, in Sos?a itself. On Calle Dr. Alejo Martinez, right next to the Casa Marina Beach Resort.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Not exactly a day trip, something many people don't seem to know but is definitely worth a visit, the Museo Judeo, in Sos?a itself. On Calle Dr. Alejo Martinez, right next to the Casa Marina Beach Resort.
I believe it's located just West of the Casa Marina REEF (not beach) entrance.

gringo1

Feb 23, 2007
The waterfalls west of POP are west of Imbert, and really a great way to spend a morning. If you can get ther early, pay a guide4 or 500rd amd have the place to yourself. After crossing the long flat bridge beyond Imbert, the highway will turn left and uphill, look for the dirt road on the left going into the cane field and usually the guides are hanging out along the highway. 7 to 28 levels, depending on you!

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I believe it's located just West of the Casa Marina REEF (not beach) entrance.
I'm sure you're right, you live there. I didn't even know there were different Casa Marinas. The museum, and lovely wooden synagogue next door, face the baseball field at Alejo Martinez.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The first phase of Casa Marina construction was right down next to the beach, surrounding it.
When they purchased the property that used to be Productos Sosua's dairy, they built a second phase farther away from the beach and partially on the cliff, so they renamed both sections, as "Beach" for the first older part, and "Reef" for the new section.