Dominican 'druglord' Extradited To N.y

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Article in today's NY Post.

DOMINICAN 'DRUGLORD' EXTRADITED TO N.Y.
By STEFANIE COHEN

July 18, 2007 -- The violent head of an international drug-trafficking ring was extradited from the Dominican Republic and brought to Brooklyn federal court, where he faces a slew of conspiracy charges, authorities said yesterday.

Jos? Ramon Hinojosa Santos pleaded not guilty and was held without bail at his arraignment Monday. According to court documents, Santos is the head of a massive drug ring headquartered in the Dominican Republic that uses young women as mules to ship huge amounts of heroin and cocaine to the United States, Canada and Europe.

The extradition came after a four-year investigation by the Drug Enforcement Agency dubbed "Mulas Tristes" (Sad Mules) because when the couriers were arrested, they were petrified of Hinojosa Santos.

The alleged kingpin recruited friends and relatives who would travel in groups and appear as families on vacation.

He also made sure to pick women whose families he knew so he could threaten them if the mules betrayed him, said a source.

The women usually hid the drugs in clothing within their luggage, according to court papers.

"He had Dominican policemen serving as his bodyguards and appeared to have a lot of government connections," said the source, adding that the women feared for their lives and their families when they were picked up.

. The feds say Hinojosa Santos was responsible for sending more than 50 kilograms of heroin into the United States and more than 100 kilos of cocaine into Western Europe between 2004 and 2006

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Maybe this represents the beginning of the good guys fighting back.
I know it's a long tough road, but it is a start.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
50 kilos a week walk in the USA over the Mexican border every day. While getting this guy is a possitive, the negative is that there are many willing to take over his territory.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
50 kilos a week walk in the USA over the Mexican border every day. While getting this guy is a possitive, the negative is that there are many willing to take over his territory.
But we are looking at the DR aspect of it, not the USA.
Not that we don't care about the USA, but this is a DR forum.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Jos? Ramon Hinojosa Santos pleaded not guilty and was held without bail at his arraignment Monday. According to court documents, Santos is the head of a massive drug ring headquartered in the Dominican Republic that uses young women as mules to ship huge amounts of heroin and cocaine to the United States, Canada and Europe.

Moderators, please delete my comments if you find them out of line.

I don't know much, but I do know this: it seems as if the US has jurisdiction over the DR. And this is not US-bashing, just an observation.

If drugs are illegal in the DR, aren't the dealers breaking Dominican laws?

The Puerto Ricans who broke the laws in the Higuey area were prosecuted in the DR; they were not extradited back to the US, where the drugs were going to end up.

"But, Joseito, these are bad guys and have shipped to the US before."

The article also includes Canada and Europe.

"But, idiot, don't you know DEA has offices in the DR and the US supplies equipment and dollars. It's part of the deal, dumb-ass."

Okay, but aren't the dealers breaking Dominican laws, and Canadian laws, and Colombian laws, and... ?

It's as if someone has said, "My laws are better than your laws; they take precedence."

I may have read about such deal, but I'm not so sure. Can anyone enlighten The Kid?

The arbitrariness of the DR laws scares the bejesus out of me. And that's scary, considering my fuzziness.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
... The arbitrariness of the DR laws scares the bejesus out of me. And that's scary, considering my fuzziness.
US preemptive strike-first policy coupled with war on drugs legislation grant carte blanche power to US authorities ... it isn't about DR laws, but an affirmation of US laws and the power to enforce them anywhere and anytime.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
US preemptive strike-first policy coupled with war on drugs legislation grant carte blanche power to US authorities ... it isn't about DR laws, but an affirmation of US laws and the power to enforce them anywhere and anytime.

Wasn't that tried, sort of, in another place, at another time, like Hitler's Germany...?

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
I guess this is going to turn into a US bashing thread. The US locks up a drug lord and people do not like the way it is done. This coming from people that are complaining about the drugs and the crime that it brings into there community. Sorry, you can't have it both ways people.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
I guess this is going to turn into a US bashing thread. The US locks up a drug lord and people do not like the way it is done. This coming from people that are complaining about the drugs and the crime that it brings into there community. Sorry, you can't have it both ways people.

To quote Buffalo Springfield, "paranoia strikes deep," but this ain't no US-bashing.

I actually asked for an enlightment of sort from those "in the know."

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004

Do you know that US occupied Afghanistan is currently producing 95% of the world?s supply of heroine, compared to almost nil during the Taleban government? Do you know that US occupied (Plan Colombia) Colombia is the world's main supplier of cocaine, and since Pablo Escobar, head of the Medell?n Cartel, was killed with CIA help, prices of the alkaloid in NY have dropped 2000% (from about US$600/oz to about US$30/oz current street value)?

Bells, don't sound louder than that!

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Whats' the problem here? He was using mules to transport drugs to the US, therefore the US has a right to go after him. Seems simple to me.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Is it not just a simple thing? The US asked first and the DR decided that it would be cool for someone else to prosecute? It costs to prosecute, so, I think the DR is saving a little money. Anyway, better to prosecute this fellow in the US anyway .. so that he cannot receive any local 'favors'!

I really don't think there is a conspiracy theory in the making here ...

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
No, you got it wrong. It's about the sovereignty of DR laws and whether US laws abrogate DR laws. We love the good ol' US of A.

I highlighted the above to emphasize what we used to say during our 'shroom-induced days: I'm hip, man. Meaning I agree: we just love the good ol' US of A.

So, no US-bashing. We do not want to suffer the loss of another poster.

But what's the deal? Simple question, not-so-simple answer. I don't think it's a matter of the US "asking first."

Help me.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Is it not just a simple thing? The US asked first and the DR decided that it would be cool for someone else to prosecute? It costs to prosecute, so, I think the DR is saving a little money. Anyway, better to prosecute this fellow in the US anyway .. so that he cannot receive any local 'favors'!

I really don't think there is a conspiracy theory in the making here ...

This actually sounds like it makes the most sense in more ways than one. Possibly since the DEA has been tracking these mules coming to the US and they are so scared for their families in the DR that they needed to show these people they would bring him far away from their families and relatives and lock him away where his DR police and government contacts cant help him?

Possibly after these women being forced to bring the drugs overseas see he is removed from the DR and poses no threat they will be willing to help themselves and get this guy off the streets?

Just a thought.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
So, no US-bashing. We do not want to suffer the loss of another poster.
Quite right, and let's keep it DR related.
I have already inadvertently insulted one member mentioning keeping it DR related.
I apologize to him, and ask you also to not get bent out of shape about this, but we do not discuss US policies & politics on DR1. (Nor any bashing)