Oh Dear! What are those Canadians doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Probably CYA

I bet that the Canadian Gov't is just covering their butts, by putting out such a warning. We all know whats happeing in the DR, but seems like they are trying to scare the heck out their citizens.

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
I am a Canadian and have been travelling to the Dominican Republic for the last five years. I would'nt say that Canadians are targeted more or less than any other nationality and that this is just a general precautionary warning.

Common sense goes a long way when travelling anywhere in the world...even your own country/city. If you travel you should be vaccinated against any disease that poses a high risk and its not a bad idea to get the Twinrix shot for Hep A/B. These strains of hep can be acquired just by eating unwashed fruits and vegs or dirty water.

These rules should apply always to everyone travelling anywhere. This advisory will not stop me from visiting D.R. I am always cautious of my surroundings and try not to let my guard down.

curlyq

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
On my last two trips to the DR in 2006 and in 2005 I did notice that more extreme caution is necessary when leaving the AI's. When in the clubs outside you have to be very alert and watch out for both the men and WOMEN. Remember there is always someone watching you!!!!!!!

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
The article mentions, among other things the Canadians warn for, a rise in kidnappings... What is that all about?

gambler1234

Jun 7, 2007
what are those canadians doing

I think the malaria thing is old news. Before I went to Puerto Plata in January this year the health nurses advised that I take anti malaria drugs because of a possible risk of contracting malaria. I was also told to purchase and use mosquito spray in Puerto Plata if I was not going to take the anti malaria drugs. It apparently has to do with the fact that Haiti is in such close proximity to the north shore of DR, and Haiti has a large incidence of malaria. Does anyone there know of anyone who has actually contracted malaria? :paranoid:

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Nothing like media hype....but where are the "facts" to substantiate this BS??? I think there are more weirdos walking the streets of major NA cities! If people are scared, they should stay at home where apparently their safety and well-being is 100% guranteed!:tired:

Tallman1680

On Vacation
Oct 7, 2006
Anything can happen to anyone, while in a strange city or country, turist in the USA, in such cities like New York, Boston, LA are told to be carefull.
Kidnappings are NOT a problem in DR, It's safe to visit just use common sense when walking the streets and don't trust anyone with your luggage at the airport.

koolkatrina

Nov 9, 2005
Unfortunately, I personally know three people last year had items stolen from their checked baggage upon checking in at POP airport. Their flights were direct from POP to their home cities.

Why anyone would put valuables in any checked baggage is beyond my understanding. You should always keep a keen eye on your carry-ons, too, at all airports in all countries. NEVER let your stuff leave your sight, no matter what.

Wear a money belt under your loose fitting shirt with your ID's, credit cards and money before you get to any airport. We Canadians are too trusting. Everyone, no matter what country you're from, needs to be more vigilant, use more common sense and take precautions, no matter where you are staying, no matter what country you're in. I've seen my fair share of naive tourists who have clearly not done their homework before booking their cheap vacation.

koolkatrina

Nov 9, 2005
travel advisories - read 'em, take 'em lightly

For legal reasons, they have to issue these warnings when incidents are reported to the Canadian embassy/Foreign Affairs. Similar advisories are issued for other countries, too, including the US. It's just not a DR thing.

Other countries have issued similar warnings for years about the DR, and tourists keep coming. Cheap prices will always keep 'em coming. However, it's important that all tourists research their destinations thoroughly before booking; many do not. Bad things happen to good people everywhere, everyday, but visiting a foreign country with your blinders on and barely able to speak a word of their language or understanding anything about the culture, mannerisms, values, etc., is just plain stupid, IMHO.

I bet that the Canadian Gov't is just covering their butts, by putting out such a warning. We all know whats happeing in the DR, but seems like they are trying to scare the heck out their citizens.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Unfortunately, I personally know three people last year had items stolen from their checked baggage upon checking in at POP airport. Their flights were direct from POP to their home cities.

Why anyone would put valuables in any checked baggage is beyond my understanding. You should always keep a keen eye on your carry-ons, too, at all airports in all countries. NEVER let your stuff leave your sight, no matter what.

Wear a money belt under your loose fitting shirt with your ID's, credit cards and money before you get to any airport. We Canadians are too trusting. Everyone, no matter what country you're from, needs to be more vigilant, use more common sense and take precautions, no matter where you are staying, no matter what country you're in. I've seen my fair share of naive tourists who have clearly not done their homework before booking their cheap vacation.

Sorry your friends were vistims of luggage theft but this is a daily occurence in airports WORLDWIDE!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Has anyone actually seen the report allegedly put out by the Canadian Govt. on July 9th. or better still got a link to it? The first referred to on DR1 News clearly isn't it since it is dated 24th. May. If the second one is it, then it looks as if what has been added recently is about dengue, not malaria. I just prefer to read what the Canadian Govt. actually said rather than what Listin Diario says they said or (heaven help us all :) ) Dominican Today says they said.

Listin says this report is being distributed to tourists as from July 9th. so maybe someone who came in after then has a copy?
La República - Canadá advierte a turistas por malaria y delincuencia en RD

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
You've got it Lambada. This thread is turning serious ... I was joking with the Canadians ... :cross-eye
NEVER joke with Canadians ........... they are (apologies Canucks, this is only used in jest) just one step above those having a South African type heritage!!:bunny:! :cheeky:
Have you seen the stuff coming out of the EUROPEAN Community though?? Oooops, sorry, - not DR related!! ~ Grahame.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I think this is hype to both cover their collective butts and is also a response from lobbying by tour operators from Canada. They are constantly pressuring travellers to buy their tours as they are the only safe ones. Tour operators are interested in the commissions - when they compete on price they need to make their profits another way.

Yes their is some crime, yes things get stolen at airports - worldwide, yes you need to use your head and common sense, and yes you should use mosquito repellant - and no it is not because we are close to the Haiti border.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Travel Report for Dominican Republic

You can't see what the specific change was as these are standard travel reports for all countries. If something is added to or removed from the report there is only a note of the date a change was made.

That's what I mean. I found that one, thank you, because the link was put on DR1 News. But............is this the same one being put in the hands of the tourists? Or something different? Any Canadians who flew out of Canada after July 9th. get a report given them? A printed one? For all we know the Canadian Govt. might be distributing mugshots of the 20 worst north coast expats.............:laugh::laugh:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It's bad news for tourism in one sense, but it may force our DR governemnet to clean up a the airport theft problem, along with a few other security issues.
We can only hope.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
It's up to the traveller to check the website prior to departure. The government doesn't get the airlines to hand out anything except your return-flight customs declaration.

Status
Not open for further replies.