Cell Phone Use in DR

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Time for me to ask a really ODD question.

I am going to be using my USA based cell phone while on vacation in the DR/SD for about 3 weeks. Rather than using my carrier (T-Mobile), I would like to save a few bucks by using the Orange service that is available in SD.

What I would like to do, is take my SIM Card Chip out of my phone and lock it up and then buy the Pre-Paid minutes and use them. - Can I do this? - I have a SIM Card Chip in my cell phone now for T-Mobile. My phone currently works in DR/SD. Can I just buy a SIM CArd chip for Orange or do I have to do something else?

Advice???

Thanks

DAKRA:tired:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The phone must be UNLOCKED before you can use another carrier's SIM card.
Try going to to T Mobile and they may or may not be willing to unlock it.

Orange might be able to unlock it for a fee, or find the website which will enable you to unlock it over the internet. I am sure a phone store can unlock it if Orange can not.

There are tons of threads on here if you utilize the search function.

tambo'

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
cell phone use in DR

Time for me to ask a really ODD question.

I am going to be using my USA based cell phone while on vacation in the DR/SD for about 3 weeks. Rather than using my carrier (T-Mobile), I would like to save a few bucks by using the Orange service that is available in SD.

What I would like to do, is take my SIM Card Chip out of my phone and lock it up and then buy the Pre-Paid minutes and use them. - Can I do this? - I have a SIM Card Chip in my cell phone now for T-Mobile. My phone currently works in DR/SD. Can I just buy a SIM CArd chip for Orange or do I have to do something else?

Advice???

Thanks

DAKRA:tired:

just as cheap to come here buy a cell for 300 or 400 pesos with 150 pesos of time on it...there are zillions of stores on the streets where you can buy them...el conde has at least 10 stores...Duarte has hundreds...then just give it away to some poor dominican...

bob

Antonio82

Jul 16, 2007
I called my phone operator and they were happy to tell me my unlock code for free (I was on Vodafone but changed to Orange).
I think you just need to tell them your IMEI number, I can't remember though, My memory ain't too good ^_^

I think an Orange SIM card is around 300 or 600 RD$?

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
All of the above is true, it would also be a good idea to copy your phone book to your battery, so you will have your US numbers saved when you switch SIMS

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Grrrrrrrrrrrreat!

Thanks for the info everyone! -

I think I am going to take the option of just buying a cheap cell phone with prepaid minutes while in SD and just give it away when I leave. :cheeky:

My goal is just to make and receive local (SD) calls while in town for the 3 weeks.

Again, thanks for the info - another example of how the DR1 community comes to the rescue.

DAKRA

:bunny:

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
How about a Drink?

I will be in the DR from August 18th to September 2nd.

Plans for 3 days in SD :bandit:

3 days in Sosua :devious:

a day or 2 in Boca Chica :rambo:

and the balance of the days back in SD :bunny:

I plan to stay at the Maison Gautreaux while in SD but I have not yet made arrangements for lodging fin Boca or Sosua.

Hope to see some of the DR1 Regulars and HOPE to meet the world famous DR1 Robert while there............

DAKRA

Tallman1680

On Vacation
Oct 7, 2006
Darka I will be there from August 23 to 27th I will also staying at the Jaragua.2 days and 2 days at Gran Almirante in Santiago.

dymmach

Feb 9, 2007
Hey DAKRA, see your pulling the ol' hat trick. I'll be in Sd thru Aug 1st. If Im able to stay longer beers on me.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Ok Friends! - You know the dates that I will be there: Glad to have any and all of you stop by for a cold one - I'll be at the Maison Gautreaux - -- Just ask for the Good Looking Bald Guy! :beard:

DAKRA

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
How can you copy something to the battery? You probably meant memory...

I guess you are right, since my phone comes with a 128mb memory card, I am able to save it either on the card or the SIM. I guess phones also comes with internal memory.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Am I doing it right?

So, I am going to take my USA (T-Mobile) RAZR telephone with me to the DR in 2 weeks. When I arrive, I will go to the Orange store on El Conde and purchase a SIM Card and a Block of Minutes. I will insert the SIM Card into my phone and load up the minutes. Then have a DR telephone number that I can use.... - - - Is this correct?

:surprised

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
only

So, I am going to take my USA (T-Mobile) RAZR telephone with me to the DR in 2 weeks. When I arrive, I will go to the Orange store on El Conde and purchase a SIM Card and a Block of Minutes. I will insert the SIM Card into my phone and load up the minutes. Then have a DR telephone number that I can use.... - - - Is this correct?

:surprised

only if it has been unlocked before hand must be unlocked

Feb 7, 2007
DAKRA, From my experience being T-mobile customer few years back, all T-mobile (USA) phones come in LOCKED.

Just call T-mobile and ask them for unlock code. I have heard if you have been using the srevice for at least 3 months they will give you the unlock code.

As a last recourse any good store "reparacion y venta de celulares" will unlock it for you. RAZR phones as well as all new Motorola phones are not easy to unlock, so it will cost at least 1000 pesos. Better try to get the unlock code from T-mobile.

You can also check Remote Unlocking Codes for Motorola Razr-V3 Mobile Phones - Unlocking Phoneand
Motorola V3 Razr Unlock: Motorola V3 Unlock Codes

(don't know the sites, I just googled remote razr unlock)

Last edited: