Advice needed from English member please?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Is there anyone from England on this board who can answer a question regarding appointing a Power of Attorney please? Need to know if it possible to set this up from here (thereby not needing to return to England to sign paperwork) in order for our solicitor to finalise selling a property for us?

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Is there anyone from England on this board who can answer a question regarding appointing a Power of Attorney please? Need to know if it possible to set this up from here (thereby not needing to return to England to sign paperwork) in order for our solicitor to finalise selling a property for us?

Yes and no, it depends, I'll pm you

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Yes. I sold my UK house from here in 2003. Solicitor did everything including dividing up proceeds as per my instructions ;). Don't think I had to sign power of attorney as such, just an authorisation for him to proceed in this matter alone which I think I Fedexed back to UK. All very easy. It was a firm in Marlow, Bucks; if you need any details, I'll send privately.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I've had a number of PMs about this so I dug out the old emails. I'll post here so everyone is clear about the process because there are no secrets about it. The UK lawyer asked me by email for an emailed authorisation for him to go ahead & sign the Contract to sell on my behalf & set completion date. Which I did (by email). Then the transfer document, which transferred ownership to buyers, needed to be signed by me, witnessed by an unrelated witness (guess who that was! :) ) & handed over to buyers solicitors by my solicitors. This was the document I Fedexed back to UK since time was of the essence. The whole process was seamless.

For those who asked in PMs - my solicitor was a Patrick Land of Cripps & Shone, Marlow. He was excellent. You can find the company by a google search, they do have a website. To those who asked the solicitors charges it was ?700 plus disbursements - remember this was 2003 so it is probably more now!