License Plate Renewals

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
A poster asked a question about license plate renewals - the poster thought that these were due in August.

Could someone post the information from the DR1 news this past Tuesday please. I lost the thread when I was cleaning up. Thanks.

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
5. Plate renewals set for August

Beginning in August the Metropolitan Transit Authority (AMET) will open license plate renewals. The process will continue until the end of October. The cost of a renewal will now depend on the year of the car and luxury cars will be subject to higher renewal fees. Cars that are owned by individuals and that are between one and five years old will pay a percentage based on the car's original registration fee. Cars between one and two years old will pay a 1% fee on the value of the car for its first registration, with a minimum of RD$5,000. Cars between three and four years will pay 0.75% of the car's initial registration fee with a minimum of RD$3,000. Cars between five and ten years old will pay RD$3,000 and cars that are older than 10 years will pay RD$1,500. Luxury cars that previously paid RD$2,200 will now pay up to RD$20,000. Cars that were subject to RD$1,200 will now pay between RD$1,500 and RD$3,000. Cars that are registered to companies will pay 1% of their book value. If the value is zero, the tax department (DGII) will apply an estimate. These values will be adjusted for inflation.

El Diego

Apr 24, 2006
5. Plate renewals set for August

Beginning in August the Metropolitan Transit Authority (AMET) will open license plate renewals. .

everyone has to renew their license plate?
i guess this is done to raise money w/o cause.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Where do you go to do it and what do you need? Thanks.

DGII (otherwise known as Rentas Internas). Original matricula + copy, cedula (+ copy maybe). If original matricula is in someone else's name, then copy of cedula of that person (to prove historical chain of sale). Can't remember offhand whether last time we handed in the old placa or not. New placa will come with new matricula (well it did last time). When it is simply the marbete (window holograph) being renewed then no new matricula or placa is issued, just the marbete.

Use search function - there must be a lot of posts about previous placa renewal.

carib

Jul 16, 2002
Where to go?

I can not remember... Where can you go to get renewal placas?

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Placa Marbete

Renewals are due from August 2007 - Sosua point of collection is supposed to be in the Associacion offices opposite the Police Station on Calle Prinicipe (this info from the DGII in POP).
Just been there today 15th August - they have no stickers yet?? Usual hurry up and wait situation!

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Placa

Went again to ANAP opposite Sosua police station - perhaps next week they will have the stickers?
Went also to the ANAP offices in POP - same story - we will have the stickers next Monday or Tuesday?
So much for DGII "We start issuing Today"!
Will let you know when/if we're successful next week.
Got my new Revista in 45 seconds in POP today - dead easy and for RD$100 cash I didn't even have the car with me!! Naughty me but the old systems still work.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
When we checked in DGII in POP, they didn't have anything yet for cars or motorcycles. "They are in Santo Dominogo" was the response when we asked about them. Truly the usual hurry up and wait.

I have a friend who works there (POP DGII). The info has always been 'quince adelante' - just how much 'adelante' has never been specified :laugh: because she has no way of knowing. One day a delivery of the stuff will show up and she'll be as surprised as anyone............. Personally, I'm going to leave it a week before even asking otherwise it'll be a waste of my energy.

And it isn't the placas, btw, it's the marbetes. Placas are only once every 4 years.

El Diego

Apr 24, 2006
And it isn't the placas, btw, it's the marbetes. Placas are only once every 4 years.

so wait... the marbete is what one has to renew b/w aug & oct, not
the license plates?

or

if license plates renewal, who has to renew plates? how one determines that?

and what about '07-'08 revistas? are they avail. now in Rentas Internas?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
so wait... the marbete is what one has to renew b/w aug & oct, not
the license plates?

or

if license plates renewal, who has to renew plates? how one determines that?

and what about '07-'08 revistas? are they avail. now in Rentas Internas?

Yes, marbetes (window stickers), not the metal plates with reg. number.
'One' doesn't determine that, the Government does (once every 4 years for everyone unless you're a Gov't botella exemption ;) ).
Yes 07-08 revistas are available but not in Rentas Internas. Revistas you get from Transporte Terrestre (part of Obras Publicas) having paid the tax first at Banreservas. These have been available since last March.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Fergetaboutit!

Were you going to 'beat the rush' and renew your marbete early? Don't bother. Process is suspended. President has submitted to Congress a proposal to eliminate the price increases. According to El Nuevo Diario if you've already got your marbete & paid the increased price you will get your additional money back. Let's see all the expats who were keen to beat the rush go and argue the toss on that one..........:laugh:
Pol?*tica - Leonel Fernández deja sin efecto aumento en el precio de las placas o* marbetes

Looks like President has given in to pressure of transportistas plus Miguel Vargas was making noise about getting prices reduced when he wins Presidency in 2008 (!)...............either that or this lot really don't know what they're doing. I guess all the 'extra' Governmental appointments are sooo unpopular that they're throwing a sop to the masses. But WHAT message does it send about organisation & (dirty word) planning? Sheesh!
Presidente Fern?ndez ordena dejar sin efecto impuesto a placas

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Perhaps he (Leonel) has decided to wait until he can install the INSPECTION & TESTING of vehicles stations (Transport Warranted Inspection Terminals - TWITs)?? This will make him a LOT of money & I have first rights on the Puerto Plata concession!;)! ? Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Perhaps he (Leonel) has decided to wait until he can install the INSPECTION & TESTING of vehicles stations (Transport Warranted Inspection Terminals - TWITs)?? This will make him a LOT of money & I have first rights on the Puerto Plata concession!;)! ? Grahame.

So now I have to live with Puerto Plata's Chief of TWITS....................?

No, no, don't answer. It's rhetorical..............:)

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hmmm. Have to reconsider my position here I think - this board has already had it's fair share of an English TWIT!!
Maybe Verdad would be a better title?!! - Grahame.