First Time at DR

oneeasy

Jul 20, 2007
This will be my first time going to DR. I am not for sure where to go. I am torn between Sosua and Santo Domingo. I am trying to keep it nice and sweet and it will not break me. Can you all help me with some ideals and experiences you all had.............. The :paranoid: one

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
plz state the purpose of your trip....vacation, mongering, looking for a wife, homosexual activity, etc....

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
If you have time you can go and see both, it's a 5 hour bus trip (with air con) each way.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
honestly oneeasy, if its beach, good food, nice people i would say sosua. if you want big city, museums, historical sites, great nightlife, it's santo domingo. another option to santo domingo would be boca chica. stay there in the evening and take day trips into the capital.

good luck and you know my last post i was only kidding :laugh:

oneeasy

Jul 20, 2007
Oneeasy

honestly oneeasy, if its beach, good food, nice people i would say sosua. if you want big city, museums, historical sites, great nightlife, it's santo domingo. another option to santo domingo would be boca chica. stay there in the evening and take day trips into the capital.

good luck and you know my last post i was only kidding :laugh:

[/QUOTE]No harm taken. I am :bunny: that I received so many options and we will use them to our advantage. A bunch of girls and myself are going to have ;) just to get away from a year of hard work. Any mor suggestions feel free to lay it on me.

oneeasy

Jul 20, 2007
Information

Thank you all for the info on where to go. Now can you help on where to stay 3 star that is still nice but it will not break the bank. How do the pesos work in paying for a hotel their. And yes :nervous:

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Try reviewing the whole board

Suggest that you check out the entire DR1 message forum section. There are tons of suggestions on places and things to do in DR. Check out the travel section under the Capital (SD) and other towns as well.

So, are you a female or male traveling with the girls?

:paranoid:

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
If it is beach and sun you are looking for go to Sosua/Cabarete. SD is a large city, although very interesting, there is no beach. SD has many area to stay in the $30-60USD/night range. Try to stay in the Colonial Zone or close by as ou can walk as a group almost any place. Hotel Mercure is safe, centrally located and has a decent $50+tax internet only offer. Great breakfast buffet

oneeasy

Jul 20, 2007
I hate to be of a bother but I still can not figer out where to stay once I get to Sosua. Hotel Mercure is good but are their more places in mind that I can check out. I was hopping we can stay on the beach/water front because we are trying to stay away from renting a car but if we have to that will be ok. This is a shame I have not been out of the US. I have to start doing better with my life. I am checking out the the travel section like I know what I am looking at since I do not know how to break down the poesos what ever they call it their.

In need....................Thanks

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
it's a tough decision. i stayed at an AI my first trip just to learn the lay of the land. each trip (if you make more) is a learning experience. some trips will be good and some not so good. besides, you can always change your mind and move to another hotel.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
$32.5DRP to $1US......that's 325 pesos = $10

Make it EZ on yourself, if the price is in peso, dived by 3 and that will give you USD within half a penny. Remember to TIP the wait-staff...I use 15-20% of the bill as a guide

Hotels: 3 star, do you mean US 3 star? You may be suprised.

From my experience: SD- Hotel Palacio, had the large suite w jacuzzi for $125 a night including 26% taxes, high thread count sheet, a bed like mine at home and breakfast was extra.

Saw the smaller room at Palacio, a deal at $99

The place was 4 star by US standards

El Candil Boca Chica-Has NEW OWNERS since I stayed in Jan 07: Had a one bedroom apt, grounds and pool area with breakfast SWEET.....rooms were clean.....2 star by US standard, a block or two from the beach

Staying at hotel Mercure SD in August and Hotel Rufugio in BC in early 2008 as I understand these are decent areas

oneeasy

Jul 20, 2007
Ok I think I am getting some where.

3 star I am in reference to US which will equal to $99.

Now $99 that is equal to 330 pesos am I correct. For a good stay if I am correct I will have a great time in Sosua.

gringo1

Feb 23, 2007
No, 99US is equal to 3000rd more or less. 330 is 10 bucks. Watch that extra zero or lack of it.....If the exchange gets to confusing, just multiply US by 30 to round off. No matter what, your first time here you?ll overpay on various stuff, all part of the learning curve. But 100US equals 3250RD at 32.5 exchange, not 320.

Sep 19, 2005
this is getting messy!!!!!!!

the Three star statement is USUALY attributed to a rating on the quality of a HOTEL or resort..

the exchange rate for us dollars to dominican pesos has nothing to do with stars!!!

there are only a few hotels in Sosua that have their own beach....but there are many that are within a 5 minute walk or less to a huge public beach that is very nice.

Sosua Bay wont be had for $99 per night...I dont think... the Waterfront might, from what i read last week. Sosua By The Sea hotel has a very small beach and falls under the price break given.

there is another one that is good sized that starts with an "M" in sosua that has its own beach i think...it is right next to the waterfront.

a bunch of girls heading to the north coast for fun and sun for the first time..on holiday and one goes by the screen name of ...ONE EASY......has the making for a juicy follow report in the sankie forum after the trip...maybe ha ha ha ha

we will see...

that screen name sounds like a Sankie placing and ORDER..... ha ha ha

bob

dymmach

Feb 9, 2007
Dr1 forums are very informative, take a little more time and read prior post and use the SEARCH. You'r questions have been asked a zillion times before.
How do you want to spend your time exactly because SOSUA might not be the best place for you.

Listing these may help you get a better response:

1.Gender

2.Age

3.Where you from?

4.Beach, for what purpose?

5.Hotel price range, do want wifi, breakfast, tours? etc, etc.

oneeasy

Jul 20, 2007
My screen name has nothing to do with what I am asking, but everyone has their opinion. If you do not suggest Sosua. Why not with all of the happening their. Then where do you suggest. I am open for suggestions. Too many people talk about Sosua and I think it will be fun and bob get your mind out of the gutter it is for fun and a first time.

I told you my gender a zillion times as well as my purpose. The questions was asked to give me choises ideals and information I can use once I get their and see what I am working with.

My hotel price range in the form of Us because I am still getting the hang of the currency change is between $50 and $80 a night. Tours is good Beach a must. I want a stay on the beach or I do not mind walking a couple of blocks. I do not need all of the other stuff I am leaving it at home do not need no one interrupting me. All I need is a cell phone to keep family reach.

What am I leaving out that will help with what I am trying to do so you all can help with my outline oh yeah I am a try anything once and do not take that too far.

Sep 19, 2005
sorry oneeasy....just having fun.....seen that, heard that , read that hundreds of time...comes to mind ha ha ha....not your fault of course....

you cant find anything in Playa Dorado in Puerto Plata...

you know i cant seem to see where you mentioned your gender in this thread ONCE, much less a zillion times........and since you are coming with a BUNCH OF GIRLS..i figure you are also a girl??? right or wrong?

if you are a girl the attraction isnt as great in Sosua as it is for a male on vacation....

believe me I am going EASY on you......you stay here long enough with your line of questioning, and you will find out what a gutter really is from a few folks, who have honed the art!!!!!

I stayed a few times in playa dorado hotels and they were right around the magic $100 per night.....

for now you should just forget the money exchange headache...it wont come into play much at all, especially in the planning stages...any quotes you get via the phone or net in english will be in dollars.....

go to an AI this trip...cut your woories in half.....and if you need to travel catch a taxi around..otherwise everything the first time "get away" person needs is in playa dorado.....a whole string of hotels on the beach sosua and puerto plata close by...tours and activities geared for the person who cant figure it out themsleves yet.

good luck

wether you pee standing up or sitting down

bob

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
wether you pee standing up or sitting down

"wether you pee standing up or sitting down"LOL;)