Motor Insurance

piranha

Jul 20, 2007
Hi there. I am a new member to DR1, currently living in the UK but moving out to the DR in the next 2-3 months. Firstly, like many others, I?d like to say a massive thank you to DR1 and all you forum members ? the site is hugely helpful and massively appreciated! Keep up the good work!

I do still have a few questions though and I have posted a few different messages across the forum ? I hope you guys don?t mind and I really hope that you can help me out. I have spent many hours reading through the whole site and message boards thoroughly - and used the search button! - in the hope that I don?t waste anyone?s time or ask the same questions yet again!

Insuring a car:

- Am I correct in thinking, like the UK, there are varying levels of insurance cover available (third party only / fully comprehensive etc)?

- On a budget vehicle (quite a few years old, worth US$3,000-US$5,000) approx what might I expect to pay for the different levels of insurance cover? (I am single and I would be the only driver. I am 33 and, if it makes any difference, have many years No Claims Bonus in the UK).

- Would it even be worth insuring a car like this on anything more than the lowest level of cover?

- Could anyone please recommend a good English-speaking broker or agent? (Website / email / telephone number).

A final but very IMPORTANT question on motor insurance...

- Is it possible to insure a vehicle that you own if you are NOT a resident?

(I am aware that officially you are insured for 90 days etc, and then legally you have to be a resident. However, GALK and others that I know, have said that they have insured vehicles, and indeed claimed on their insurance, but are not residents). Is there any way around this? For example, if you were simply a named driver on the policy etc.

Many thanks.