Driving Licence & Documents

piranha

Jul 20, 2007
Hi there. I am a new member to DR1, currently living in the UK but moving out to the DR in the next 2-3 months. Firstly, like many others, I?d like to say a massive thank you to DR1 and all you forum members ? the site is hugely helpful and massively appreciated! Keep up the good work!

I do still have a few questions though and I have posted a few different messages across the forum ? I hope you guys don?t mind and I really hope that you can help me out. I have spent many hours reading through the whole site and message boards thoroughly - and used the search button! - in the hope that I don?t waste anyone?s time or ask the same questions yet again!

Driving Licence:
I have read the forum posts about the ?official? way to get a driver?s licence. However, a number of people have told me that it is possible to quite simply ?buy? a perfectly legitimate driving licence without a lot of the paperwork, the medical etc. In fact, they have actually done it! (And believe it or not they are quite respectable people!).

- Is this indeed possible?
- Has anyone else heard of this happening?

Other Documents:
- I have read about Revista?s and Licence Plate Renewals but don?t entirely understand what they are and how they work. When it comes to car documents, taxes, plates etc, exactly what do you need to renew or replace and how often?

Many thanks.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
As for the driver'a license, no matter how you do it you must first be a resident with a Dominican Cedula. If you don't have this yet your question is moot.

As far as the car license plate and stickers, you can search the archives on this. All the info is there.

bhale

Mar 1, 2004
I have heard it can take many months to get residency. Is it possible to drive on a valid US drivers license until you obtain residence status?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
However insurance is another matter entirely! Most vehicle insurance will only cover you for 30 days without a valid Dominican license.

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
A somewhat related question

However insurance is another matter entirely! Most vehicle insurance will only cover you for 30 days without a valid Dominican license.
A Dominican friend has offered to let me use his car when he doesn't need it, as he is often away for his work, sometimes for weeks at a time. I appreciate the offer, but wonder what the insurance situation might be. Would I be covered by his insurance?; my US insurance?; no insurance? I'd just as soon avoid spending time in a Dominican jail for being uninsured. Can I purchase short-term insurance for a month say, that would be cheaper than renting a car?

piranha

Jul 20, 2007
Any other feedback??

Thanks for the replies. Although I would still love to hear from any other forum members regarding my initial post on obtaining a driving licence and other vehicles documents (not insurance).

SKY: Your point on needing to be a resident with a Dominican Cedula seems very clear cut. Thanks. Regarding renewals etc, I did actually do search the archives, as I said, but was still looking for some clarification.

Many thanks.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
It does seem quite complicated with placas (spelling?) revistas matriculas etc etc etc...... However, once you are ready to get a car, get the ownership transfered, get the matricula then the placa and revista done if needed (they renew annually) then you can be walked thru the process. It is not necessarily difficult but it can be time consuming. I got someone who has done it to go with me the first time - it was easier.

The rules change constantly it seems. For example the revista is up for renewal starting in August and the price has changed quite dramatically.

You do not need your residencia to own or insure a vehicle. But you will need it for your drivers license. In the meantime it is inexpensive to hire a licensed Dominican to drive for you !! That is one way around things for the short or long term.

piranha

Jul 20, 2007
planner: Thank you. I'm sure (I think!) it will make more sense as you go along. 'it can be time consuming'... why does that not surprise me! :cheeky:

This is getting confusing though, because you also say that you do not need residencia to insure or own a vehicle - it is just required to get a DR driving licence. Yet many people that categorically that you you cannot insure a car without being a resident. Should we hold a vote?! Seriously though, which one is it?

Many thanks.

(I have also PMed you).