rent in sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
I visited Las Canas on a few occasions and it is a beautifully landscaped place. I saw inside several rooms and was quoted prices similar to their website. After walking around for a while on the premises I finally encountered a few people. (the place didnt ever seem very busy). Most seemed to say good things about the place but something I asked all of them was how much they were paying and for how long.

Some people were paying the website rates and some were paying A LOT LESS. Maybe its an american mentality thing and DR culture is different but when you go to buy something and the guy behind you buys the same thing and pays half as much it doesnt sit right. I have no problem with a local dominican paying less for their food at the grocery store if their living off much less money than me but 2 tourists renting the same aprtment and being charged all different prices for the same length of stay doesnt sit well here.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I visited Las Canas on a few occasions and it is a beautifully landscaped place. I saw inside several rooms and was quoted prices similar to their website. After walking around for a while on the premises I finally encountered a few people. (the place didnt ever seem very busy). Most seemed to say good things about the place but something I asked all of them was how much they were paying and for how long.

Some people were paying the website rates and some were paying A LOT LESS. Maybe its an american mentality thing and DR culture is different but when you go to buy something and the guy behind you buys the same thing and pays half as much it doesnt sit right. I have no problem with a local dominican paying less for their food at the grocery store if their living off much less money than me but 2 tourists renting the same aprtment and being charged all different prices for the same length of stay doesnt sit well here.
That might have been a while back, before Judy took over.
The place has completely changed and is now properly administrated and maintained.
Also, it may not be completely full, but a lot busier than when you were there.
I remember it being that way too.
It was almost as dead as a cemetery.

Florie

Jun 21, 2006
Las Canas is busy mostly with people that have bought the condos to live in DR. One of the negative aspects of this hotel is the distance to downtown. It is FAR. In the heat or rain it is impossible to walk. There is a shuttle that is supposed to take you back and forth to downtown but the last pick up time in downtown is 4pm. For the vacationers it will be useful to expand the hours to later at night to enjoy a dinner in downtown or some night life. Most of the people here live in DR and have scooters or cars. I am aware that a taxi can be called but since the hotel has the shuttle as an added enticement to rent here it will be advantageous to expand the hours to 9 -10pm would seem reasonable.

mike.n.amy

Jun 4, 2007
Thanks to everyone for all the great information on Las Canas. We're going to be in Sosua in Sept/Oct checking out apartments for about a 6 month stay starting in January and have a couple questions about Las Canas specifically:

1. A few posters have mentioned it's far from downtown. Can someone specify the actual distance (1 mile, etc.)?

2. How do most of you staying long term handle drinking water? Do you buy small bottles, gallons (or the metric equivalent), or does the fact Las Canas has a well make any difference?

The photos from the July BBQ party looked great and everyone's posts are informative as always!

Thanks in advance!

Mike 'n Amy

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
1. A few posters have mentioned it's far from downtown. Can someone specify the actual distance (1 mile, etc.)?
A mile or a tiny bit more

2. How do most of you staying long term handle drinking water? Do you buy small bottles, gallons (or the metric equivalent), or does the fact Las Canas has a well make any difference?
We drink purified, from 5 gallon bottles that cost $0.90 US.

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
Las Canas is busy mostly with people that have bought the condos to live in DR. One of the negative aspects of this hotel is the distance to downtown. It is FAR. In the heat or rain it is impossible to walk. There is a shuttle that is supposed to take you back and forth to downtown but the last pick up time in downtown is 4pm. For the vacationers it will be useful to expand the hours to later at night to enjoy a dinner in downtown or some night life. Most of the people here live in DR and have scooters or cars. I am aware that a taxi can be called but since the hotel has the shuttle as an added enticement to rent here it will be advantageous to expand the hours to 9 -10pm would seem reasonable.

I guess distance is all relative. I live practically next door to Las Canas and I've walked into town many times....takes half an hour to the centre of town. If you're happy to take a motoconcho (which I am) there are heaps of them running up and down the Mulata Road (2min walk) at most times of day. The fare into town is around 40 pesos each way. If you get a taxi the fare is around 200 pesos each way.

mike.n.amy

Jun 4, 2007
Thanks Rocky & Sharlene - the info is much appreciated.

We walk a half mile (one way) in our apartment complex here in Austin, TX just from our apartment to the fitness center each day (gotta love those 100+ degree days in August). lol

We are anxiously counting down to our visit and look forward to having a few drinks at Rocky's and enjoying Sosua!

~ Mike 'n Amy

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
Directions to Las Canas.

I guess distance is all relative. I live practically next door to Las Canas and I've walked into town many times....takes half an hour to the centre of town. If you're happy to take a motoconcho (which I am) there are heaps of them running up and down the Mulata Road (2min walk) at most times of day. The fare into town is around 40 pesos each way. If you get a taxi the fare is around 200 pesos each way.

Hi, how would I get to Las Canas say from the Police Station in Sosua... Is it safe to walk during the day for a white guy... Thanks.. M.

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
I've walked backwards and forwards from La Mulata (where Las Canas is) to Pedro Clisante in the centre of town lots of times and there is no reason not to feel safe during daylight hours (just be careful crossing the road!).

I wouldn't say it's a pleasant walk from the Police Station to Las Canas as the walk along the main road is not on a 'path' as such....you're just walking on the grass or the 'slip' part of the road so you have to be careful of traffic. I have walked it before, but wouldn't bother again, I'd just pick up a motoconcho outside the Playero next door (around 40 pesos). Alternatively, you'll be asked by about 20 motoconcho drivers if you want a ride while you're walking along anyway!

Turn right out of the Police Station, along the main road and keep on walking on and on an on, past Supermercado Sosua and the turning to Tradewinds all the way to the turning off to the right which has a big concrete sign for The International School and is also signposted to La Mulata and Las Canas (Carwash is almost opposite). Turn right up the road and continue up past The International School on the right and past the German Butcher on the right. The road winds up and bends round to the right and when you walk around the bend the first turning on your left is signposted to Las Canas (there is also a big sign saying Villas Karibik). It's a couple of mins walk to the end of that road and there you are!

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
Hey, good info..

I've walked backwards and forwards from La Mulata (where Las Canas is) to Pedro Clisante in the centre of town lots of times and there is no reason not to feel safe during daylight hours (just be careful crossing the road!).

I wouldn't say it's a pleasant walk from the Police Station to Las Canas as the walk along the main road is not on a 'path' as such....you're just walking on the grass or the 'slip' part of the road so you have to be careful of traffic. I have walked it before, but wouldn't bother again, I'd just pick up a motoconcho outside the Playero next door (around 40 pesos). Alternatively, you'll be asked by about 20 motoconcho drivers if you want a ride while you're walking along anyway!

Turn right out of the Police Station, along the main road and keep on walking on and on an on, past Supermercado Sosua and the turning to Tradewinds all the way to the turning off to the right which has a big concrete sign for The International School and is also signposted to La Mulata and Las Canas (Carwash is almost opposite). Turn right up the road and continue up past The International School on the right and past the German Butcher on the right. The road winds up and bends round to the right and when you walk around the bend the first turning on your left is signposted to Las Canas (there is also a big sign saying Villas Karibik). It's a couple of mins walk to the end of that road and there you are!

Sharlene, thanks, cant get much better than that...M.

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
Hey Mikeyone, If you give me a call when you are ready to come up, I will send the shuttle for you. Good idea until you get your bearings. Same goes for anyone wanting to come up for lunch, we pick up at Playero. 809-571-1994 Judy

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Some places on this road get a bit awkward (slip/grass too narrow and/or water-logged). I recommend always walking against the traffic so you can see a big lorry or two cars overtaking coming towards you and you can take care......

Day time very safe (what crossing the road), although I have walked at night too, I recommend motos after dark.

A.

sosuaman

*** Sin Bin ***
Jul 27, 2006
That might have been a while back, before Judy took over.
The place has completely changed and is now properly administrated and maintained.
Also, it may not be completely full, but a lot busier than when you were there.
I remember it being that way too.
It was almost as dead as a cemetery.

beads and i went while judy was there...

sunny2

Apr 7, 2006
Some people were paying the website rates and some were paying A LOT LESS. Maybe its an american mentality thing and DR culture is different but when you go to buy something and the guy behind you buys the same thing and pays half as much it doesnt sit right. 2 tourists renting the same aprtment and being charged all different prices for the same length of stay doesnt sit well here.

How is this any different than when you are sitting on a plane and everyone has paid varying rates depending on when they booked? I have gone to the DR and to secure the hotel I wanted I booked months in advance. I met people on the same flight going to the same hotel who booked last minute for a lot less. Different tour operators and airlines charge different prices for the same hotel packages, it all depends on when and who you book with. It is the luck of the draw when you book, you pay the quoted price and then don't look back.

Status
Not open for further replies.