A year today since being shot in throat

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It is a year today since I was shot. Following second operation the scar onmy throat is fine, and I can speak better, but still can't sing too well nor can I shout ( which pleases the husband and kids!!!). I can never dive again which is sad but liveable with. Lessons learnt are:

1. Don't shoot back - run.
2. Have dogs.
3. great hospital Plaza La Salud and Hillbilly's foster son
4. DR1 great support
5. Carry glasses with you at all times so when you have been shot you can see the numbers in your mobile phone.
6. 911 doesn't work. Try and get number of private ambulance service if you don't want to go on back of motoconcho.
7. Being shot doesn't hurt at the time .......only later.....if you live.

The guys who shot me were caught - confessed, let out as one was a part time sankie and his canadian girlfriend paid 1000us$ to get them out. Two weeks later they were responsible for killing Italian man here. That time one was caught and is doing 30 years and the other I understand has beeen kiiled by police but I haven't seen his head on a stick so not sure!!!

So alls well that ends well. Thanks again for your support when it happened

matilda

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Really happy you made it Matilda

The guys who shot me were caught - confessed, let out as one was a part time sankie and his canadian girlfriend paid 1000us$ to get them out.

Too bad the Canadian girlfriend was not with them two weeks later!

Last edited:

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Glad you're still with us. You are a valuable member of this site. P.S. Were you able to sing before you were shot?

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
WOW--- what an ordeal! Glad you made it and are doing fairly(???) well!

It's unfortunate they were let out and killed someone.

I guess she didn't get her money back??? Oh, well---too bad----I guess she would've given it to him anyway-- some how.

I'm glad that you are alive to give us an update.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
While I don't know you, we have not met - I can't tell you how much I admire you. I admire you for surviving and getting on with things. I admire the tone in which you have written this post! I admire that you are willing to stay and not blame everyone in this country for what happened to you!

I admire your willingness to share this experience and what you have learned!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Glad you're still with us. You are a valuable member of this site. P.S. Were you able to sing before you were shot?

I was a key singer at the local karaoke bar. Thought I was pretty damm good. I had just sung 'wonderful tonight' (great song) before I left to go home and got shot. Mind you not sure anyone would agree with my analysis of my singing abilities!!!

Matilda
:cheeky:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I admire that you are willing to stay and not blame everyone in this country for what happened to you!

QUOTE]

Thank you Planner. Your words means a lot to me. It was the people in this country who saved my life. It was Haitians who live in wooden shacks who carried me to the local hospital (who couldn't help). It was a Haitian guy who took me to San Pedro (local town) who knew he could be arrested for doing so. 400 Haitians and Dominicans came to see me in hospital. Haitians and Dominicans went to Higuey and lit candles in the cathedral there to pray that I lived. That cost them a weeks salary. Although it can be hard and frustrating here at times, the people here have hearts that you would never find anywhere else.

I can never forget that.

matilda

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I don't understand why would the Haitian be arrested for going into a town?

Matilda is assuming that the Haitians were undocumented illegal aliens subject to arrest and deportation (in any country), which I'm sure they were.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
No they were legal - the guys who shot me. But if you take anyone to hospital here, you are automatically arrested pending investigation as they think you had something to do with it. They guys who took me to hospital, the motoconcho were all arrested for 4 days for investigation. I knew the guy who shot me had braids.....everyone in Juan Dolio with braids was arrested. The barber had never done such good business cutting off braids. The two hospitals who wouldn't treat me were afraid I would die and if you treat a white perosn who dies...you are arrested, which is why they wouldn't treat me.

Matilda

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Matilda,

It would be interesting to find out how this experience has changed your current perception of yourself, reality, surroundings, family, place where you live? I know that such traumatic events can affect a person quite a bit and usually try to be extra careful with those post physical therapy, dealing with consequences of trauma people coming to the classes I teach. Your description would definitely be helpful!

Thanks!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
No they were legal - the guys who shot me. But if you take anyone to hospital here, you are automatically arrested pending investigation as they think you had something to do with it. They guys who took me to hospital, the motoconcho were all arrested for 4 days for investigation. I knew the guy who shot me had braids.....everyone in Juan Dolio with braids was arrested. The barber had never done such good business cutting off braids. The two hospitals who wouldn't treat me were afraid I would die and if you treat a white perosn who dies...you are arrested, which is why they wouldn't treat me.

Matilda

Matilda, congratulations for your recovery. You are a very exceptional person indeed.

Regarding the arrests (in case any respectable DR1 member decides to shy away from helping someone in distress), I would like to clarify the following. According to the Legal Code, no one can be arrested unless in fraganti dilicti, or by a court issued warrant. Also, the Legal Code established a maximum of 48 hours for a person to be brought before a judge. If the arrestee is brought before the judge after the expiration of the 48 hour term, the judge has to set him free, notwithstanding evidence against him, on procedural grounds. Also, the police practice of arresting anyone remotely associated with a crime such as you suffered, is a thing of the past. Of course, some arbitrary situations still occur.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com

Matilda
Good grief.
You just keep blowing me away.
What an incredible SNAFU !

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Matilda, congratulations for your recovery. You are a very exceptional person indeed.

Regarding the arrests (in case any respectable DR1 member decides to shy away from helping someone in distress), I would like to clarify the following. According to the Legal Code, no one can be arrested unless in fraganti dilicti, or by a court issued warrant. Also, the Legal Code established a maximum of 48 hours for a person to be brought before a judge. If the arrestee is brought before the judge after the expiration of the 48 hour term, the judge has to set him free, notwithstanding evidence against him, on procedural grounds. Also, the police practice of arresting anyone remotely associated with a crime such as you suffered, is a thing of the past. Of course, some arbitrary situations still occur.

The Legal Code?????

Whats Law and what actually happens is usually very different in this country. The Legal Code goes out the window if you know a general or got some bucks to spare. I've seen it all here, The Legal Code don't mean crap. They hold you for more than 48hours, who you gonna complain to? You think they give you a phone call if they dont want you to?

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Although it can be hard and frustrating here at times, the people here have hearts that you would never find anywhere else.

I can never forget that.

matilda

Yes!!!!!

Doesn't feel quite right to say happy anniversary but you know my humour by now...............;)

And can I add:
8. Don't expect the British Embassy in Santo Domingo to help you in the above circumstances if you are the wife of a Dominican.

I think this thread will get a lot of hits because of the amazing person you are & I feel it only right that everyone is aware of No.8 before British Ambassador Worthington addresses the British north coast residents on August 2nd. :)

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Yes!!!!!

Doesn't feel quite right to say happy anniversary but you know my humour by now...............;)

And can I add:
8. Don't expect the British Embassy in Santo Domingo to help you in the above circumstances if you are the wife of a Dominican.

I think this thread will get a lot of hits because of the amazing person you are & I feel it only right that everyone is aware of No.8 before British Ambassador Worthington addresses the British north coast residents on August 2nd. :)

The relevant question is already on my agenda for Ian's visit, as I am sure it is on other people's too.

I don't know you personally Matilda but have read the reports and I concur with Lambada in wishing you well a year on after what must have been a terrible ordeal.... if it makes you feel any better I can't sing either but, there again, I never could!!!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Thank you for sharing your traumatic ordeal with all of us and for the pointers you provided.

I am sure that your positive outlook on life has gotten you to where you are today and that you have been able, as best as possible, to move forward and leave the past behind.

May you continue to go from strength to strength and may you always enjoy all the best that life has to offer.