Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nikke View Post
    Yes, if I had the $$ I'd get her another one in a heartbeat. Fortunately she wasn't the one struck by lightning! She's really feeling cut off from the world without it!
    I do hope her husband & the boys weren't struck either! Nikke, in case she has lost all her computer mails, please tell her I'll save copies of mails she recently sent me (the 'dual nationality' mails - she'll know which they are) until she is up & running again. And if she needs anything communicated urgently, if she phones me and lets me know, I'm happy to help.

Maybe NOW the transformadora problem will get sorted...............??? (for those who don't know search Matilda's posts for the saga of the transformadora).

Hang in there, Matilda, we'll communicate telepathically. Probably safer than electricity at present.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lambada View Post
    I do hope her husband & the boys weren't struck either! Nikke, in case she has lost all her computer mails, please tell her I'll save copies of mails she recently sent me (the 'dual nationality' mails - she'll know which they are) until she is up & running again. And if she needs anything communicated urgently, if she phones me and lets me know, I'm happy to help.
    Yikkes! Absolutely no one in the household was hurt by the lightning, just the computer got struck...I did a headcount yesterday and everyone was well, including her husband, the boys and the many cats and dogs! She just wanted to pass on the word that she'll be delayed in getting back to us all on this thread.

I'll let her know about the mails...Thanks!

Matilda, I hope you get to the Internet again soon.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nikke View Post
    Yikkes! Absolutely no one in the household was hurt by the lightning, just the computer got struck...

Maybe this is good time to remind newbies and unaware oldies, that in the DR most telephone, cable, electrical wires are not grounded, and that at the first sound of thunder, you should unplug everything. Computers, modems, and cable boxes are particularly sensitive. Lightning can strike kilometers away, and the spike will still follow the wiring into your home or office.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/597...orbid-but.html http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/608...t-surgery.html Here is the thread a very sad day when matilda got shot a very strong lady may god be with you

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    No they were legal - the guys who shot me. But if you take anyone to hospital here, you are automatically arrested pending investigation as they think you had something to do with it. They guys who took me to hospital, the motoconcho were all arrested for 4 days for investigation. I knew the guy who shot me had braids.....everyone in Juan Dolio with braids was arrested. The barber had never done such good business cutting off braids. The two hospitals who wouldn't treat me were afraid I would die and if you treat a white perosn who dies...you are arrested, which is why they wouldn't treat me.

Matilda
    I am afraid I must agree with Matilda.

The system here really does not do any good to good samaritans that help injured persons.

Few months ago I saw a car accident and I helped carry an injured guy to a local (provate) clinic - about half a kilometer away, in my car. I had two friends of mine (Dominicans ) in the car with me, and I was given an hour-long lesson that you DON'T DO THAT in the DR, because you are assumed to be connected with the accident and I was told fortunately this was a private clinic that does not have cops posted there (as public hospitals do).

I am ashamed to say that, and please don't judge me because it went against my conscience, but went along with the self-preservance: A few days ago at night I saw a motorbike rider injured on the road, after an accident (most probably hit and run as he was in the middle of the road) in a pueblo far away. There were a few bystanders waving at me to stop. I simply didn't carry him to hospital and continued on my way to the hotel. It was haunting me for two days until I later learned from a friend of mine that the guy was treated and released and was doing OK.

Two points:
    Carrying him to hospital would automatically provide for assumption that I was connected with the accident; and
    Having drinken some drinks it was even bigger NO as having some alcohol level (even though most likely within legal limits) would make things even worse.

I would have never ever done that in the USA or Europe, where you are obliged by the law to help. But the system in the DR doesn't help these situations. If I am to bring trouble onto myself to help somebody injured in an accident I had nothing to do with, even if it goes against my conscience, I cannot be expected to help under such circumstances. Self-preservance is an instinct, and it always takes precedense.

Also, one important fact: DR Police virtually never uses any forensic investigation. Robbery - no fingerprints taken. Car accident - no forensic investigation to see if a car was connected with the accident. I recall that in Europe in 70's and 80's Police was already implementing forensic to investigate car accidents, etc (comparing scratches, color remains, and all sort of "small stuff" to prove or disprove accident involvement). 30 years later, in the DR, and forensic is still not in place, or very rarely used (most probably in Santo Domingo only, in special cases, if any).

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rubio_higuey View Post
    ....and I was given an hour-long lesson that you DON'T DO THAT in the DR, because you are assumed to be connected with the accident and I was told fortunately this was a private clinic that does not have cops posted there (as public hospitals do)...
    You are mistaken. You are not arrested when taking an injured person to a clinic or hospital. Don't take my word for it, call the police department, or the district attorney's office. However, you may be held for a short period of time, for investigation, if the injury is from a gun shot (arma de fuego).

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rubio_higuey View Post
    .... A few days ago at night I saw a motorbike rider injured on the road, after an accident (most probably hit and run as he was in the middle of the road) in a pueblo far away. There were a few bystanders waving at me to stop. I simply didn't carry him to hospital and continued on my way to the hotel. It was haunting me for two days until I later learned from a friend of mine that the guy was treated and released and was doing OK......
    I wouldn't had stopped either.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default To Mirador...

My experience is ...Police will question you for as long as they feel they can get money out of you.. does not matter if it is a gunshot or car accident or falling out of a tree. It the person dies.. brother you got problems......

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SamanaJon View Post
    My experience is ...Police will question you for as long as they feel they can get money out of you.. does not matter if it is a gunshot or car accident or falling out of a tree. It the person dies.. brother you got problems......
    I imagine you are not ignorant, and you are capable of invoking your rights and act upon them. Of course, the police can adduce you stayed in jail voluntarily...

Rest In Peace Lindsay
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm back!!!! The network card in the computer was fried via the phone line but a very nice man in San Pedro fixed it for me. I had unplugged everything but not the phone line - I'll know next time!!

Thanks for the nice comments all. i agree with Lambada it is a salutary lesson for all women/girlfriends of Dominicans who will pay to get them out of jail without knowing the full story. And as far as I know you will still get taken to the police station and kept for a while if you have anything to do with an accident. The guy who carried me to the first clinic was kept in the police station for 2 days. So was the motoconcho driver. Not sure if it is illegal or not to do that. And those who were with helped me were desperately trying to hide the blood on their clothes in case they were arrested too.

Re saying bad things about this country. Why? It was Dominicans and Haitians who saved my life. I could have been shot anywhere. It was not the fault of this country just 2 bad guys and there are bad guys everywhere. (Strange many more bad guys than bad girls!!!). But the people here gave me more help, love , caring and affection than I know for sure they would have done in the UK. OK, the services such as ambulance and police don't work as well, and there are no follow up services such as counselling, but with all the help you get from ordinary, poor people then you don't need it anyway. So, rather than turning me off the Dominican Republic, it has made me love it even more. And it was being shot that made me turn to DR1 for the first time and look how many friends that has made me - some in the flesh and some cyber friends.

Matilda

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast