African-Americans in Samana

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Can anyone enlighten me as to why A.M.E. Bishop Richard Wright chose Samana to transport freed slaves in the early nineteenth century? What was so unique about Samana that he (1) even knew of it's existence; and (2) found it a promising place for freed slaves to find a better life?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The bisho had little or nothing to do with it. the former slaves were purchased from their owners near Washington, d.C. and shipped to Philadelphia. There they came under the guidance of Peter Vanderhorst who lead the entire group to Santo Domingo.

While this has been covered before, and fairly well, let me just say that there was (a) Major culture Shock; (b) terrible illness--malaria and yellow fever that cut through hundreds and perhaps thousands of the new black immigrants.
Many of the survivors were given land in Saman? as an attempt to populate the lands recently conquored with racially similar people. The first "samanenses" were protestant (Methodist), and English speaking, and they remained that way for decades...
The AME church came later..."La Churcha", and place names such as Bethesda and Noroeste, and the family names are just about all that is left of the group.

HB

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Interesting. Thanks HB!

You've got to admit, aegap, Samana makes a great setting for a commercial.

Cza79

Feb 16, 2008
Peter Vanderhorst

My last name is Anderson, I've been trying to find some info on the families that settled in the Samana territory and other areas.

The last name Vanderhorst, is also part of my lineage as well.
I've been trying to find other Andersons that are still in DR

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
My last name is Anderson, I've been trying to find some info on the families that settled in the Samana territory and other areas.

The last name Vanderhorst, is also part of my lineage as well.
I've been trying to find other Andersons that are still in DR
There are plenty of Andersons and Vanderhorsts in Las Terrenas... You guys must be relatives somehow... You should come here and meet some of them.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Anderson was the governess of Samana a few decades ago...
I am sure you are familiar with Hamilton, Coplin, Shepard, Green, as they are also Samana surnames...

HB