Does a place like this exist in the DR?

Pedro Tercero

Dec 22, 2006
I'm looking for a place in Latin America where I could spend a lot of my time after I retire in a year or two. I like a lot of things about the DR, but so far I haven't found the cobination of climatic and geographical features I'd like. I'd like a place with consistently good breezes, good restaurants, grocery, clothing, etc. stores nearby, about a ten minute drive to the beach, and good saltwater fishing and a few charter boats available. The breeze is important because I sweat like a squeezed sponge in the DR.

I liked the feel of Las Galeras at the end of the Samana Peninsula, and I saw a nice development near the beach in Bayahibe, but neither of those places seemed to me, in the brief time I was there, to have much in the line of services and stores nearby.

I haven't been to Puerto Plata, nor to Juan Dolio. In fact, there are lots of places I haven't been in the DR. The nearer to Santo Domingo, the better, but if such a place doesn't exist within an hour of SD, say so. I'm thinking 3 bedroom nice, but not luxury, apartment. Any guidance?

Pedro Tercero P3

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I would suggest Las Terrenas... I live there, and it is a very nice place, with the right combination of things you want...

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
Las Galeras will someday have what you are looking for. A new water main (pipeline) is currently being laid as we speak. Badly needed. Should be ready in < 18 months as a Barzilian company is cotracted for this project.I am amazed at the progress they have made in the past month. The restaurants and grocery stores will happen as soon a population base exist onoredr to support them. Las Galeras is tiny compared to Las Terrenas, although property is getting expensive. If you have the money, try Cap Cana (not Casa de Campo).

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
I vote for Las Galeras. Buy now while it is affordable. Soon it should have all that Las Terrenas has in a good way, and less of the bad. I mean to say that LG seems to blend locals with visitors in a gentler way, no apartheid so to speak. While LT has clear dividing lines. After a while you can feel it. So I vote for LG.

Sorry for any offense taken by LT fans - none intended.

--Sammy

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
I vote for Las Galeras. Buy now while it is affordable. Soon it should have all that Las Terrenas has in a good way, and less of the bad. I mean to say that LG seems to blend locals with visitors in a gentler way, no apartheid so to speak. While LT has clear dividing lines. After a while you can feel it. So I vote for LG.

Sorry for any offense taken by LT fans - none intended.

--Sammy

Sammy, Las Galeras is a very nice place, and you have a valid choice ! It is just that the poster might want all the goodies now, and they are all available in Las Terrenas right now.

Anyway I would recommend to any visitor to either LT or LG to rent a car and visit its counterpart, as LT is about an hour drive away from LG... Both are nice places, but LT is much more lively.

Let me clarify that any Gringo can blend easily with Dominicans or Haitians in Las Terrenas, there's simply no such thing as a "clear dividing line" in Las Terrenas, this is not South Africa of the 1970's !!! I can really vouch for this one, as I am a living example of "blending" with Dominicans ;)

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Sammy, Las Galeras is a very nice place, and you have a valid choice ! It is just that the poster might want all the goodies now, and they are all available in Las Terrenas right now.

Anyway I would recommend to any visitor to either LT or LG to rent a car and visit its counterpart, as LT is about an hour drive away from LG... Both are nice places, but LT is much more lively.

Let me clarify that any Gringo can blend easily with Dominicans or Haitians in Las Terrenas, there's simply no such thing as a "clear dividing line" in Las Terrenas, this is not South Africa of the 1970's !!! I can really vouch for this one, as I am a living example of "blending" with Dominicans ;)

problem with LT,after living there for a couple of years,is after a few months,you have seen everything,done everything,and there is not much to do outside the beach..the dominican population is poor,poor,poor .. the shopping is very minimal,,restaurants are mediocre and expensive,,still need to go to SD or Santiago for goodies.. prices are very very high for food in LT..only 2 larger mercados,and not much in clothing stores except for tourist traps...very noisy,dusty main street....etc,etc,...but the beaches are nice,and most of the people are nice,except the french...if you want to chill out and just do nothing till you expire,then it is ok...
bob

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
if you want to chill out and just do nothing till you expire,then it is ok...

Speak for yourself ! I absolutely don't agree with your description, but of course we are all different, so we perceive the world differently, it is only normal...

Anyway, Bob, go ahead and give the OP an idea, I am sure he would be interested to hear about your insight...

Pedro Tercero

Dec 22, 2006
Good to know

Have a look in my website Guesthouse Holland
I have for you a nice, cheap apartment. I can sent you pictures.

Hello, Dre -

Thanks for the information. Your place may be of interest to me for some future trip. It's interesting because it's near Santo Domingo but is near the beach.

Can you tell me if Juan Dolio has year-round breezes? Is your apartment situated so that the breezes blow through, or is it air conditioned?
How many square meters is the apartment, and how many rooms does it have? How close is it to the beach? What parking facilities does it have?

Thanks,

P3

Pedro Tercero

Dec 22, 2006
Looks Nice, Squat

I would suggest Las Terrenas... I live there, and it is a very nice place, with the right combination of things you want...

Hi, Squat -

I've looked at a couple of websites for Las Terrenas. It looks and sounds pretty nice. Are the breezes consistent year round?

Based on several of your posts in this thread, it seems you're very happily settled into a comfortable life there.

Are there any language schools or tutors in town, for working on my Spanish? I do fairly well, but there's always a lot of room for improvement. It's a good activity to keep the brain supple, and a good way to meet and mix with locals, too.

At this stage, I'm looking for places to visit for a week or two at a time, staying in a rented apartment/bungalow with kitchen etc., to get a good feel for different areas of the island.

If I end up coming to spend some time in Las Terrenas, I'll see if you can give me any recommendations.

Thanks,

P3

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Are the breezes consistent year round?
Yes, mostly trade winds from the east. In the winter, we also have some "cold-fronts" from the north... It's always a nice climate.

Based on several of your posts in this thread, it seems you're very happily settled into a comfortable life there.
I am indeed :)

Are there any language schools or tutors in town, for working on my Spanish?
Yes, various.

At this stage, I'm looking for places to visit for a week or two at a time, staying in a rented apartment/bungalow with kitchen etc., to get a good feel for different areas of the island.

If I end up coming to spend some time in Las Terrenas, I'll see if you can give me any recommendations.
There are also various places to stay in the Las Terrenas area. I usually put my friends & family here, and it has proven to be one of the very best : Costa Las Ballenas ? Hotel Villa Appartement a Las Terrenas - Samana - Republique Dominicaine

Pedro Tercero

Dec 22, 2006
Sport Fishing Boats in or Nea LT?

Hi, Squat -

I'm following up on earlier contacts in this thread. I can't remember how to PM, so am going this way.

I may be able to get to the DR in January, and maybe get to LT. I'll be with a retired friend from work. We both like blue water sport fishing very much so will stay somewhere that there is good fishing, either open ocaean trolling or reef fishing, or both. Is this available in or near LT? In Las Galeras last year, the only boat available was about a 15 foot panga with a single outboard. We'd like a 30 foot or larger cruiser with single or double diesels, etc. You've been living there for awhile and have had friends visit you, so I'm hoping you would know this.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Pedro Tercero

dreamsource

Jul 29, 2007
Undoubtedly you could get many different replies to your original query- I would believe that everyone on this forum (who is not native, anyway) likes it right where they are...the tried and true advice may be best- come, see, experience, and then decide. There are plenty of good short term lodgings available to use as a base while you explore the possibilities.

Best of luck to you!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am going to suggest that you look at La Estancia, not far from La Romana on the highway to Higuey.
Why? Because it has beautiful places to live, breezes all year round, is affordable, has a golf course, is close to beaches (Not on the beach which is why it is affordable) and is close to major services such as health and public transportation (Romana Airport is closeby, but not too close), and you have a nicer selection of people. IMO!! But I am prejudiced...

HB

And YES, there are major sports fishing facilities in La Romana...

Pedro Tercero

Dec 22, 2006
Think I'll look around La Romana

Hillbilly's post interests me. I think I'll try to get up to look around La Estancia sometime in the period January 7-12. If there's someone you would recommend me to contact for learning about the area (housing options, schools, etc) please PM me.

Also, Hillbilly, you said there are good sportfishing charter options in La Romana. The only one I've been able to find is Eduardo Pumerol, and he doesn't seem to have a website.
Got any further leads on this topic?

Thanks,

Pedro Tercero