Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default mike vick's dogs vs cock fights

I must admit that with all this news about Mike Vick and his dog fighting that I did visit the cock fights one Saturday afternoon over in Charimicos. I had only seen it on TV in the movies and seen the reports of the busts by the police in west miami dade where I live. I stayed for 3 of the fights and it is something that you have to see to realize the intensity and seriousness that these people have in this so called sport! I must confess I ended up betting 500 pesos on one of the fights...I lost...the red cock beat the white one. Something to see but nothing I will probably ever go back to! I also think that Mike Vick should serve jail time for what he was involved with as far as those puppies!

Post Thanks / Like

Cock fighting is so ingrained in the Dominican/Caribbean culture that it will never, ever be done away with.
    If you want to see a real operation, judge just what is involved, and be impressed by some of these animals, visit Santiago sometime, and let me know...

HB

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Cock fighting is so ingrained in the Dominican/Caribbean culture that it will never, ever be done away with.
    If you want to see a real operation, judge just what is involved, and be impressed by some of these animals, visit Santiago sometime, and let me know...

HB
    Cockfighting is not exclusive to Dominican/Caribbean culture. As a matter of fact, cockfighting is universal, and it's origin is lost in the dawn of times, to the extent that some historians attribute the sport to an epoch when the Constellation of the Rooster was preeminent with the sunrise at the vernal equinox, thousands of years ago... .

WIKEPEDIA has a lot to say about cockfighting. However, the painting they use to illustrate their entry, shows they know nothing about the sport....

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldnt have thought that they would have been this successful with their liquor curfew, but it is still here......

and now they are cracking down on running red lights.....

I thought the only reason they had red lights is so the dominican machos could feel good about running them, ha ha ha

so i dont think anything is safe

all they need is Leonel to have a few more chats with Hilary Clinton...and the cock fights might go the way of the 12:30am brugal purchase!!!!!!!

bob

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I always try to avoid conversations about politics, and relegion, etc., since they can get hot, but in this case, Michael Vick should be thrown in a cage, and then some hungry pit bulls should be thrown in with him. I can't judge the Dominican culture; well, I could, but I won't. This is a U.S. case, and he should be shot. This sport is inhumane. Imagine killing dogs by drowning, shooting or electrocuting them because they were not good fighters.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, continued....Vick will get what's coming to him. His reputation is already ruined, and I think the worst is yet to come. And the guy has millions to boot. Kind of like the rappers.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

has Vick admitted to killing dogs like that? actually is he even accused of doing that?

I dont doubt that happens in the sport.......but is he accused of that?

is it the dog fights that people object to...or the treatment the dogs get when they are retired or not good fighters?

I wonder what is worse in some peoples minds.

A chicken in an 10"x10"( make that 8"x8") cage to make eggs, its whole life till it dies

or the rooster that is used in cock fights?

bob

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

I realize that ignorant people are everywhere, but my God.

Yes, Mike Vick's been tried, convicted, and hung by the media already. The sheep who only listen and don't read hang on their every word.

I'm not saying his involvement isn't troubling, but this coverage is WAY overblown. I'll just wait until he is actually judged in court. My parents warned me as a child and teenager to watch the company you keep. It's served me pretty well to date.

The overwhelming majority of this case in regards to Michael Vick is based on hearsay. His lawyers will have a field day with this. They really don't have any really concrete on Michael Vick other than he owned the property and the kennels. They are probably trying to get him to roll over on the bigger fish in the game. He'll get off with fines and no time served. Here's the link to the actual indictment: Michael Vick Indicted - July 17, 2007

By the way, a rape of a woman was committed by a few guys at the home of one of his now-former teammates in Atlanta. This player was home when this all occurred. Police were called to the scene and intimately involved. You have any idea who I'm talking about? Yeah, thought not. That player was a star DE and subsequently and quietly allowed to sign a contract to play for the Denver Broncos.

So, what's really more grotesque? Some NFL player who was somehow connected to dogfights? Or a woman being raped in the home of one? The media got folks confused as to what's really most important.

Why does the US and the US media think it's so morally superior? That crap really p's me off. Bull-fighting, dog-fighting, cock-fighting have been around for centuries. We (the USA) prefer war, killing thousands of innocent people under the umbrella of "collateral damage." Is that morally just?

So please spare me with the Michael Vick indignation. It's all BS. One more thing, F--- PETA. All of them really need to get a life.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by laurapasinifan View Post
    has Vick admitted to killing dogs like that? actually is he even accused of doing that?

I dont doubt that happens in the sport.......but is he accused of that?

bob
    Here's the problem with the whole accusation.

Vick had just gotten out of the whole fake water bottle deal in Miami airport. He was on his best behavior after that, not that he was ever a bad dude before. He never has gotten himself into any trouble down here.

He stayed here in Atlanta and just concentrated on football. During this supposed timeframe, on or about April 2007, he was here in Atlanta, not in Virginia. He went to NYC for the NFL draft and to talk to the NFL commissioner about the whole deal. Then he was right back here for minicamp. There's a big hole in the story being reported.

Trust me, the media might have convicted him already. But I sincerely doubt he'll get anything else but fined $$$.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this Mr. Vick (whom I have to admit I've never heard of) a north coast expat resident?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast