mike vick's dogs vs cock fights

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
I must admit that with all this news about Mike Vick and his dog fighting that I did visit the cock fights one Saturday afternoon over in Charimicos. I had only seen it on TV in the movies and seen the reports of the busts by the police in west miami dade where I live. I stayed for 3 of the fights and it is something that you have to see to realize the intensity and seriousness that these people have in this so called sport! I must confess I ended up betting 500 pesos on one of the fights...I lost...the red cock beat the white one. Something to see but nothing I will probably ever go back to! I also think that Mike Vick should serve jail time for what he was involved with as far as those puppies!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Cock fighting is so ingrained in the Dominican/Caribbean culture that it will never, ever be done away with.
If you want to see a real operation, judge just what is involved, and be impressed by some of these animals, visit Santiago sometime, and let me know...

HB

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Cock fighting is so ingrained in the Dominican/Caribbean culture that it will never, ever be done away with.
If you want to see a real operation, judge just what is involved, and be impressed by some of these animals, visit Santiago sometime, and let me know...

HB

Cockfighting is not exclusive to Dominican/Caribbean culture. As a matter of fact, cockfighting is universal, and it's origin is lost in the dawn of times, to the extent that some historians attribute the sport to an epoch when the Constellation of the Rooster was preeminent with the sunrise at the vernal equinox, thousands of years ago... ;).

WIKEPEDIA has a lot to say about cockfighting. However, the painting they use to illustrate their entry, shows they know nothing about the sport....

4qxq7g2.jpg

Sep 19, 2005
I wouldnt have thought that they would have been this successful with their liquor curfew, but it is still here......

and now they are cracking down on running red lights.....

I thought the only reason they had red lights is so the dominican machos could feel good about running them, ha ha ha

so i dont think anything is safe

all they need is Leonel to have a few more chats with Hilary Clinton...and the cock fights might go the way of the 12:30am brugal purchase!!!!!!!

bob

mmilone

Mar 25, 2003
I always try to avoid conversations about politics, and relegion, etc., since they can get hot, but in this case, Michael Vick should be thrown in a cage, and then some hungry pit bulls should be thrown in with him. I can't judge the Dominican culture; well, I could, but I won't. This is a U.S. case, and he should be shot. This sport is inhumane. Imagine killing dogs by drowning, shooting or electrocuting them because they were not good fighters.

mmilone

Mar 25, 2003
Sorry, continued....Vick will get what's coming to him. His reputation is already ruined, and I think the worst is yet to come. And the guy has millions to boot. Kind of like the rappers.

Sep 19, 2005
has Vick admitted to killing dogs like that? actually is he even accused of doing that?

I dont doubt that happens in the sport.......but is he accused of that?

is it the dog fights that people object to...or the treatment the dogs get when they are retired or not good fighters?

I wonder what is worse in some peoples minds.

A chicken in an 10"x10"( make that 8"x8") cage to make eggs, its whole life till it dies

or the rooster that is used in cock fights?

623812g.jpg

bob

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
I realize that ignorant people are everywhere, but my God.

Yes, Mike Vick's been tried, convicted, and hung by the media already. The sheep who only listen and don't read hang on their every word.

I'm not saying his involvement isn't troubling, but this coverage is WAY overblown. I'll just wait until he is actually judged in court. My parents warned me as a child and teenager to watch the company you keep. It's served me pretty well to date.

The overwhelming majority of this case in regards to Michael Vick is based on hearsay. His lawyers will have a field day with this. They really don't have any really concrete on Michael Vick other than he owned the property and the kennels. They are probably trying to get him to roll over on the bigger fish in the game. He'll get off with fines and no time served. Here's the link to the actual indictment: Michael Vick Indicted - July 17, 2007

By the way, a rape of a woman was committed by a few guys at the home of one of his now-former teammates in Atlanta. This player was home when this all occurred. Police were called to the scene and intimately involved. You have any idea who I'm talking about? Yeah, thought not. That player was a star DE and subsequently and quietly allowed to sign a contract to play for the Denver Broncos.

So, what's really more grotesque? Some NFL player who was somehow connected to dogfights? Or a woman being raped in the home of one? The media got folks confused as to what's really most important.

Why does the US and the US media think it's so morally superior? That crap really p's me off. Bull-fighting, dog-fighting, cock-fighting have been around for centuries. We (the USA) prefer war, killing thousands of innocent people under the umbrella of "collateral damage." Is that morally just?

So please spare me with the Michael Vick indignation. It's all BS. One more thing, F--- PETA. All of them really need to get a life.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
has Vick admitted to killing dogs like that? actually is he even accused of doing that?

I dont doubt that happens in the sport.......but is he accused of that?

623812g.jpg

bob
Here's the problem with the whole accusation.

Vick had just gotten out of the whole fake water bottle deal in Miami airport. He was on his best behavior after that, not that he was ever a bad dude before. He never has gotten himself into any trouble down here.

He stayed here in Atlanta and just concentrated on football. During this supposed timeframe, on or about April 2007, he was here in Atlanta, not in Virginia. He went to NYC for the NFL draft and to talk to the NFL commissioner about the whole deal. Then he was right back here for minicamp. There's a big hole in the story being reported.

Trust me, the media might have convicted him already. But I sincerely doubt he'll get anything else but fined $$$.

gibbs

May 31, 2005
[Is this Mr. Vick (whom I have to admit I've never heard of) a north coast expat resident?}

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA...AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

that was beautiful!

gibbs

May 31, 2005
Tone...How do you really feel about PETA?

Vick is just the scandal of the day now that Anna is dead and there are no pregnant wifes missing.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Is this Mr. Vick (whom I have to admit I've never heard of) a north coast expat resident?

Let me guess Lambada, you're an investigative reporter....on the North Coast of the DR. LOL!!! Plenty of cockfights and dogfights to cover down there, huh? And legal, right? How are those leads coming along?

Tone...How do you really feel about PETA?

Vick is just the scandal of the day now that Anna is dead and there are no pregnant wifes missing.

PETA - a bunch of self-righteous trust fund babies in need of a "cause." Want a real cause? Go tackle Darfur, where a real genocide has been going on. People dying, not animals, nor over a dead animal's fur. They'll never get my respect.

Seriously, it's just another character assassination by the media. Let Michael Vick, as any other accused person in the USA, have his day in court, THEN judge him. The same way they have been trying to do to A-Rod, esp. with that blonde chick. Who's next Vlad Guerrero's love child? Miguel Tejada fights cocks? Who cares?

What relevance does of it have to do with sports? I just hate having to wait 15 minutes into SportsCenter to actually get a real sports story or scores. And ESPN's not the only one's doing it. I'm just tired of it.

The media clamors for access. They get access and do stories on the most sensational things, truth be damned. Denied access and they make people out to be pariahs.

gringo1

Feb 23, 2007
The comparison between cock fighting and dog fighting in my mind is no comparison at all because I eat chickens but I don?t eat dogs(that I know of). I have had dogs as companions as long as I?ve been alive, and their loyalty is unsurpassed. And that,I think, is why Americans and many other people are disgusted and outraged by fighting dogs for sport. Ask a Dominican what he thinks and he might shrug his shoulders simply because their experience with dogs is much different. Ask a Puerto Rican, and he?ll ask where to place the bets on a dogfight. Pr folks fight dogs regularly. But personally it makes me furious, and if Vick is convicted, I hope he does time and a lot of it. In the meantime, GO DOLPHINS!!!!!!

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals

Vick is a _ick, he needs to be covered in liver spread and allowed to run in the very kennels he's accused (sic) of running.

I don't condone roosters fighting either however, electrocuting, slamming or hittng any animal with a hammer for failing to perform is barbaric...

......and they should be shackled and forced to walk the plank in shark infested waters

May 5, 2007
I'm not sure where the quote came from, but was something like:

When God created the Earth and the continents divided, dog jumped across to be Man's companion and has been ever since

Do you know of any animal other than a dog that will starve itself to death when his/her Master dies or disappears?

Comparing dogs and chickens, not in my mind

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Let me guess Lambada, you're an investigative reporter....on the North Coast of the DR. LOL!!! Plenty of cockfights and dogfights to cover down there, huh? And legal, right? How are those leads coming along?

Just wondering what on earth all this stuff has to do with the North Coast Forum, that's all. If the man lived here.............then it would have relevance. Right now I can't see it, but perhaps if you all carry on for a while I might see the light..........:)

Yes we have cockfights, yes the betting is fast and furious & no, as far as I'm aware, we don't have dogfights. Catfights...........well that's another issue (& probably another Forum) :)

May 5, 2007
If this were true then why so many stray dogs roaming around in the DR???.....they should be dead.:ermm:

These are in reality "wild dogs," never knowing the love and dedication of a Master and home

I can not think of the name, but there was a "Scottie" in England or Scotland that watched his Master buried in the "Home" Cemetery of his back yard. The widow would let the little dog out each morning and he would lay on his Master's grave all day, returning at night only to repeat this scenario for the rest of his life, which was very short as he died shortly thereafter

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
now cat fights, i do enjoy. especially the ones at Classico :laugh:

but dominican girls never rip clothes off like american girls. :ermm:

Status
Not open for further replies.