looking to retire at 40

can2dom4rick

Jul 23, 2007
I am a 37 yr. young man who is planning to move to DR in 2-3 yrs and retire there on the sale of my home and assets in Canada, and I am trying to find out what my expenses will be, and how to purchase property in a small community preferably in the southwest region.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
We'd love to help you but first you have to give us more information. What part of the island do you want to live in? HOw will you live? How many people or just you?

We really need to know what lifestyle you will want, that determines so much of your cost structure.

Also do a search of the forums. There have been many discussions about this already.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
The Stock Market is Watching....

I reired at 49 and still cannot afford to buy and live in the DR, maybe my lifestyle is too high!

Hey Hlywud - I bet your reasons for not being able to afford to buy and live in the DR is because of one or more of too much Presidente ;)

I too am planning to retire within the next 2 - 3 years and have considered moving to SD. (My pension would be about $35k)

:bunny::bunny::bunny::rambo:

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
How I acquired my house in the DR.

I am a 37 yr. young man who is planning to move to DR in 2-3 yrs and retire there on the sale of my home and assets in Canada, and I am trying to find out what my expenses will be, and how to purchase property in a small community preferably in the southwest region.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am planning to retire in 2 or 3 years also. By the end of this year my home should be finished.
I acquired and cleared the land (country side) and slowly began building the house on stages. For each stage to be completed, I ask the builder for an estimate then I send the money. I have a person in the DR (not the builder) who receives the money and keeps record of all expenses (materials, labor). I keep a record too by calling him weekly.
The work stops when there is no money. No bank is involved.
Building materials are not inexpensive but labor is cheap. Of 5 workers, two of them make RD$550 per day, another RD$375 and two helpers RD$350. The builder receives 10% of all expenses.
It might not be the same in more affluent areas.

Hope this help.