Popular Bank stole my money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
To months ago I ordered a wire transfer from my bank account in another country to my Popular account in Puerto Plata.
I had done that many times before without any problems, but this time I misspelled my last name, so the transfer was cancelled, but the money did not return back to the transfer origin bank.
After complaining many times in the Popular branch in Torre Alta, Puerto Plata, I only got a transfer number, but not legal proof or signed document whatsoever.
My other bank says that the money is not back there. It is a serious bank, in a serious country, so most probably some clerk at Banco Popular has my money in his/her pocket.
If somebody has experiences or ideas about how to handle this problem, please let me know about it.

Thanks in advance,
Ben

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
sorry Ben but my only suggestion is to make sure you spell your own name correctly. Seriously though if all the account numbers and associated numbers were correct, names should surely be irrelevant.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
If you have the transfer number tell Banco Popular to track where the money went. The number your bank gave you should be tracked at the other end by Banco Popular. Your bank no longer has the funds. Whats strange though is your bank didnt catch the incorrect spelling since both names should have been the same and they should have noticed this also.

Talk to the bank manager and have him/her explain where your money went? If they cant come up with an answer I would contact Banko Popular Headquarters and complain with the wire transfer number and demand to know where the money is. Quite possibly it just got lost someplace in the shuffle and the bank has it in some ghost account someplace.

Im sure they dont want to be known for losing peoples wire transfers. The bad press would definitely hurt their credibility in the long run.

slrguy

Oct 17, 2006
Banco Popular is NOT world-renowned for their customer empathy. But as the other poster stated, if the money wasn't routed back to the originating bank- Popular has it, somewhere. You just have to scream loudly enough to get someone's attention who cares. A bullhorn in your hand may or may not do the trick.....

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Get your bank in another country to perform a trace on the funds.
I have had to do this before and the problem was solved very quickly.

My best advice, make friends with someone at Popular, it's amazing what a smile and a good contact can do. Screaming will not do you any good.

If you have no luck, PM me and I'll see what I can do or at least who you should speak to.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Euromoney on Dominican banking
The finance magazine Euromoney has classified the Banco Popular as the best bank in the DR. The recognition is in July's issue. Euromoney highlights the management of Banco Popular, under the guidance of President Manuel Grullon.
Awards for Excellence 2007 / Banking / Euromoney magazine

one of the stories on DR1 today. kinda ironic

rotondo

Jun 18, 2007
your claim has to be originated from the transfering bank as they have to trace the transfer, it may be that the originating bank send it somewhere else
it does not automatically means that it is populars fault-it does not matter how reliable either bank may be it is just that banks definetily make mistakes
it has happened to me before

it could take a little time but you will get your money

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
After you trace the funds and the money comes up, You will notice other fees missing from this end in addition to what your bank charged you to send it...I transfered $35,000 USD in March and after proving where the money came from and that it was clean..That took 3 -4 days to do there was an additional $60.00 usd missing from the deposit...Popular had charged me a hefty fee to recieve the funds....Good Luck.........

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
As a retired international banker, I want to add my voice to Robert and Chris and Rotondo (sorry if I missed anyone) in urging you to have your bank initiate the trace. Under the rules they are responsible to act on behalf of their client (you) in communicating to the receiving bank (Popular) that the beneficiary (also you) is claiming non-receipt. There are standard procedures for this as well as formulas for payment of interest compensation by the bank that was "unjustly enriched" by having your funds in error. Good luck.

P.S. Banks work by account number only,so the fact that you misspelled your name is irrelevant.

Last edited:

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
That's what I suggested re account numbers and name being irrelevent so thank you for confirming my thinking was correct Moviemouth....

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
That's what I suggested re account numbers and name being irrelevent so thank you for confirming my thinking was correct Moviemouth....

Right you are. My apologies for forgetting to cite your comment by the time I got to the end of the thread (happens to me alot these days!).

Now, another thought occurs to me regarding the whereabouts of the OP's funds: He said that BP rejected his transfer. If the amount was large (anything over $10,000 depending on the bank) this is not surprising (although it is irrational). ScotiaBank recently did the same to me, however, in my case my bank promptly re-credited the funds to my account. It's very possible that the money is somewhere within the OP's bank - another good reason to go there for answers.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I know this is an old thread but has anyone else had any problems with Banco Popular in Puerto Plata?

I've been expecting a bank transfer from Puerto Plata since September and it still hasn't come through. I've had my bank look at all the wires three times now and they haven't receive anything in my name. All the details are correct, I've double checked that. And this wire has been sent TWICE apparently and it still hasn't come through. Have any of you had problems receiving bank wires FROM the Dominican Republic?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
In the years we have been banking in this country we have only had ONE problem in receiving/sending bank transfers. That was 16 years ago & we were being given the 'Gringo Run Around' & did not know at that time how to navigate the 'Culture' here!! Anger & a surly face got us nowhere but a little empathy, charm & humour seemed to get everything!!

My first reaction would be to say you are getting the run-around from the sender but not knowing who the sender IS, that would be unfair. Having thought a little further on this though there are TWO main branches of Banco Popular in Puerto Plata, maybe the sender sent it via his/her branch & for some reason it has been returned to the OTHER branch (unlikely but the HEY ..... this IS the DR!!). Get the sender/company owner or whatever to go into that OTHER branch, have a meet with the manager to get an Immediate answer from him (NOW is the ONLY timescale open for the sender to offer the bank!!) as to whether it has been returned into THEIR accounts.

If the answer is YES, the sender should get an immediate transfer made to your bank (again) copy the transaction numbers etc & then send these to you so you can advise your bank!

If the answer comes back that the sender can not do this (& verify the money HAS been sent) then I regret to say you are being given the run-around. Maybe a comment on here as to which organisation/person it is will generate some activity on their part.

Hey, this is the DR!! The rain has stopped, the sun is out, the washing is out to dry and EVERYTHING is do-able again. I might even be able to get out & play golf with my friends again early next week!! ~ Grahame. :cheeky: ;)

Mar 2, 2008
"I might even be able to get out & play golf with my friends again early next week!! ~" Grahame.

You mean, IF Ginnie gives you a kitchen pass.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
"I might even be able to get out & play golf with my friends again early next week!! ~" Grahame.

You mean, IF Ginnie gives you a kitchen pass.
With the amount of 'Brownie Points' I have built up over the last month of "Rainy Days", a kitchen pass is no longer necessary. All I have to do is swing my clubs in front of her & she smiles to say "All right Dear"!:eek:gre:! ~ Grahame

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
In the years we have been banking in this country we have only had ONE problem in receiving/sending bank transfers. That was 16 years ago & we were being given the 'Gringo Run Around' & did not know at that time how to navigate the 'Culture' here!! Anger & a surly face got us nowhere but a little empathy, charm & humour seemed to get everything!!

My first reaction would be to say you are getting the run-around from the sender but not knowing who the sender IS, that would be unfair. Having thought a little further on this though there are TWO main branches of Banco Popular in Puerto Plata, maybe the sender sent it via his/her branch & for some reason it has been returned to the OTHER branch (unlikely but the HEY ..... this IS the DR!!). Get the sender/company owner or whatever to go into that OTHER branch, have a meet with the manager to get an Immediate answer from him (NOW is the ONLY timescale open for the sender to offer the bank!!) as to whether it has been returned into THEIR accounts.

If the answer is YES, the sender should get an immediate transfer made to your bank (again) copy the transaction numbers etc & then send these to you so you can advise your bank!

If the answer comes back that the sender can not do this (& verify the money HAS been sent) then I regret to say you are being given the run-around. Maybe a comment on here as to which organisation/person it is will generate some activity on their part.

Hey, this is the DR!! The rain has stopped, the sun is out, the washing is out to dry and EVERYTHING is do-able again. I might even be able to get out & play golf with my friends again early next week!! ~ Grahame. :cheeky: ;)

Just in case you thought that maybe I've been Sankied or something like, I can assure that this in not the case. We're talking here about a fellow Canadian and a trusted friend. And I might add that they would not likely be given the Gringa Run Around as they are VERY knowledgable about life in Puerto Plata having lived and worked there for some time now. And they DID two bank traces that confirmed it went, but it never arrived in my branch.

Now the possiblity that it could have somehow gone to the other branch never occured to me. Thanks for that, I'll suggest she look it to that. Although it's been a "big pain in the a$$" to her, I'm sure she would want to get to the bottom of this as I'm out money and she's paid twice now.

I'm like a dog with a bone though, I NEVER let go. My bank is still waiting for the bank trace receipt that also never came through (a Codetel? Orange? problem), once they have that they will be able to identify where it might have gone. Could be some other bank account at that other branch!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I am sure it will all work out quickly for you & that your 'trusted Canadian friend' will resolve this within a few days. Keep us informed & if you need me to get into Banco Popular just let me know - I am still owed a couple of favours by one of the local managers!!:cheeky: ;) (also a bad golfer on his good days!!) ~ Grahame.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I am sure it will all work out quickly for you & that your 'trusted Canadian friend' will resolve this within a few days. Keep us informed & if you need me to get into Banco Popular just let me know - I am still owed a couple of favours by one of the local managers!!:cheeky: ;) (also a bad golfer on his good days!!) ~ Grahame.

Thanks! I appreciate your advice and it's good to know someone has contacts in the right places. ;) I'll get back you with the good news once the mystery is resolved. I hope this cold Arctic air mass coming from the North doesn't mess up your golf weather, have a great game!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Thanks! I appreciate your advice and it's good to know someone has contacts in the right places. ;) I'll get back you with the good news once the mystery is resolved.

Please do margaret. Am I to understand you have been waiting since September? A bank wire should clear in, what 3-5 days, not 5 months. Let us know if either of the branches of Banco Popular in Puerto Plata are playing silly wotsits with you. BushBaby has actually played golf with family members of the family who owns that bank. I'm sure if their Puerto Plata branches are being either inefficient or deceitful, the owners would want to know about it. And if it turns out that they're not & that we are maligning Banco Popular unnecessarily then I'm equally certain that the owners of Banco Popular have ways of handling that, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.