Moving to the DR September 2007

BeachyGirl

Jul 24, 2007
Hi All! I was a member on this site a couple of years ago and am coming back for more. ;) I have a question in regards to moving to the Punta Cana area of the DR.

I lived in Punta Cana for about 8 months in 2004-2005 as a bartender with Club Med. I loved the country and almost stayed as I was offered a position as a manager at another local bar, but was transferred to Cancun, Mexico for a year and didn't want to pass that chance up.

I have been offered a position in Punta Cana and I want some input! I have been to Punta Cana, La Romana, Cabarete, Sosua, and Puerta Plata and I loved the east coast by far. I loved the simplicity and the beauty. I see on here a lot of people recommend moving to the north coast, but I have no qualms moving to Punta Cana again.

I do want to ask, with a studio apartment rental and regular considerations for living (cell phone, internet, entertainment, etc. Oh, and as far as food goes, I am vegan so I eat cheap! :)) would $2000 US a month be enough to get started on? As I progress I will be making much more, but I will have to get established. When I lived there before, I had housing and meals taken care of for me so my meager salary was fine.

And, how difficult is it to bring an animal with you? I have a cat that I will be bringing with me.

SO, recap : Will $2000 US/month cut it for me initially in Punta Cana? And how difficult is it to bring an animal?

Thanks so much for any insight! Much appreciated!

BeachyGirl

StellaRay

Apr 8, 2007
Well, BeachyGirl, I'm not familiar with Punta Cana and I have no pets, so I don't have too much advice :) However, just to get the ball rolling I would say that $2000/month for a single woman would be pretty easy to live on. I'd love to have that kind of salary! I know people who do it for much less, so it's definitely possible.

BeachyGirl

Jul 24, 2007
Thank you both so much, I appreciate it. I forgot to mention I won't probably be getting a car right away either, as I plan on living close to my office, so does that make things look better? I just want to be sure before I except the position that I will be comfortable and be able to save a bit as well for visits home, a car eventually, etc. What do you all think? Thanks!
BeachyGirl

Caren M.

Jan 27, 2006
I just finished typing a response to you and it disappeared! So I hope I'm not repeating myself! Anyway, $2000/mo is plenty. Rent will be $650-900/mo. $900 will be a 2 bdrm so you can share expenses. Cable and elec. will be about $ $100/mo total. Food is reasonable if you cook or eat local. Sometimes meals and transportation are provided by your employer. As for pets, you will need proof of vaccinations and general health records - I think within a week of arriving. Check past posts. Travel by motoconch is inexpensive and sometimes employers provide transport - depending on who you work for. I will PM you with the names of some places to rent. Good luck and have fun!

BeachyGirl

Jul 24, 2007
I just finished typing a response to you and it disappeared! So I hope I'm not repeating myself! Anyway, $2000/mo is plenty. Rent will be $650-900/mo. $900 will be a 2 bdrm so you can share expenses. Cable and elec. will be about $ $100/mo total. Food is reasonable if you cook or eat local. Sometimes meals and transportation are provided by your employer. As for pets, you will need proof of vaccinations and general health records - I think within a week of arriving. Check past posts. Travel by motoconch is inexpensive and sometimes employers provide transport - depending on who you work for. I will PM you with the names of some places to rent. Good luck and have fun!

Thank you Caren, you have been a HUGE help! :) Can anyone tell me what to expect to pay for a car rental on a daily/weekly basis? And what will I need to rent a car? Also health insurance....easy to get? Expensive?

Thanks, friends.

BeachyGirl

lauramarie1514

Jul 18, 2007
hi5.com
car rental....

BeachyGirl...

I plan on moving to the Punta Cana/higuey Area from Virginia at the end of August...I've been trying to get all my living situtations togather aswell...The cheapest way to rent a car is to rent and get reservations online-like through orbitz. The prices are still high (like 700 for a basic with insurence and tax) per month, but if you go directly through a local car rental-it will be much higher. I was there last month and a weekend car rental was over $500usd....thay totally saw me comming:) I was planning on taking about the same amount well...let me know if I can answer anymore of your questions.and also two minds work better than one...my email is l
auramarie1514@hotmail.com

Laura

Deeleid602

Jul 27, 2007
Wow thats expensive for a rental car. I was in La Romana area the last week of May, first week of June and rented a car from Avis and that was only 25 us dollars a day

Last edited:

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
If you are using a car to get around the Bavaro/Pt Cana area, you may want to consider just hiring a private car/taxi for the day or hour you require. Easier, more economical than renting and you dont have to drive. For example, you need a car daily on call withinn 30 min. for the full day till say 10 PM. Ask for him for price and negociate downward. You can probably get one a low as $20/day x 5 day/wk depending how much you use him. If you plan to leave town and travel around the country, you can always rent for that weekend. BTW, is $2,000 net or after taxes.... make a big difference. Regardless, gas is 150 pesos/gal and you wont have to pay insc. Put the pencil to the paper and see what is best for you.

hjocelyn

Feb 21, 2007
www.puntacanalife.com
Abt the pets-assuming it's a dog...
I brought my two chihuahuas from US- I was asked the usual, to get a health certificate for each, shots up to date- but for DR I had to go to the FDA and have the vet papers approved (abt 24$), and later go to the DR consulate and pay $50 to get a stamp...all this and no one at Punta Cana Airport bothered to look.

As I reached the door, one guard noticed I had a cage and I was asked to turn back ....paid $20.

It's pretty easy, esxept at the time not everyone was sure abt the proper proceedures.