Inverter /Inversor HELP

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Ok you experts, I need your help. I've done a search and read a lot of information but I got to tell you some of this goes over my poor blonde head! So help me out will you???

Here is what I want to do: I want to run 1 computer, 1 internet wireless router, fan, maybe TV or Radio and at times a laptop computer and sporadically a printer.........all at the same time.

How do I figure out what size inversor to buy?

How many batteries do I need?

I know I can buy it with installation and guarantee included. (thank goodness)

Once I know what size I need - then I can continue looking at brands -their is a lot of information on the forums on that. OF course current recommendations always appreciated...... And then I figure out where to buy it all...............

Thanks in advance!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
rubia, you need 2 kilo inverter with 4 batteries. Buy a locally built inverter and trojan batteries. You will be all set.
AZB

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Ok you experts, I need your help. I've done a search and read a lot of information but I got to tell you some of this goes over my poor blonde head! So help me out will you???

Here is what I want to do: I want to run 1 computer, 1 internet wireless router, fan, maybe TV or Radio and at times a laptop computer and sporadically a printer.........all at the same time.

How do I figure out what size inversor to buy?

How many batteries do I need?

I know I can buy it with installation and guarantee included. (thank goodness)

Once I know what size I need - then I can continue looking at brands -their is a lot of information on the forums on that. OF course current recommendations always appreciated...... And then I figure out where to buy it all...............

Thanks in advance!
.5 or.6k will do fine.
I had an American made brand .6k (.6 k = 600 watt) that is sold at Plaza Lama in STI or SDQ, called Dimensions Unlimited.
I used it for several years, to operate the following.
A 29 inch Sony TV, 1 fan, 2 lights, 1 fax machine, 1 wireless telephone, 1 answering machine, and I always had a bit to spare.
Thsi translates into the following.
As long as it's a respectable brand, ie: Trace/Xantrex, Dimensions Unlimited, Tripp Lite, that truly supplies the .5k or .6k it says it does, it will be fine for your needs, along with a couple of decent batteries.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Aways get the biggest inverter you can afford, whether you need it or not.. The bigger the inverter, the faster your batteries charge.
I agree with you on that matter, MrMike, but don't forget that those people who use these tiny inverters with tiny consumption, get incredible battery performance.
You and I and most DR1ers have been spoiled by these big units operating our entire houses.
But I haven't forgotten my years with my tiny inverter and low consumption needs.
When a tropical storm knocked out the power in our area for 5 days, I lasted 3 entire days with my .6K inverter with 2 batteries.
When all you're charging is 2 batteries, it's not really that necessary to have a big powerful charger, unless you have 18 hour power failures per day.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks boys! My expectation is to use it 3 to 4 hours a day 5 days a week. The power is out weekdays from 8:30 am to 4 or 5pm every day. I need to work a few hours during the day!

I think I will buy a little bigger then I need and plan for future possibilities.

One more question - can I start with 2 batteries and add 2 more within a month or two if I find I need it?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks boys! My expectation is to use it 3 to 4 hours a day 5 days a week. The power is out weekdays from 8:30 am to 4 or 5pm every day. I need to work a few hours during the day!

I think I will buy a little bigger then I need and plan for future possibilities.

One more question - can I start with 2 batteries and add 2 more within a month or two if I find I need it?
There is a Trace/Xantrex unit that I have seen in usage and one of our DR1 members had one.
It's in their UPS series, not the more commonly used DR series.
It is a 1K unit, which would be double your needs, and it's specifically specializes in computer applications, such as yours.
You would have approx. 3 months to add new batteries to the system, so that they all line up well together, although i suspect you will be perfectly satisfied with a 2 battery set up.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I agree with going with an inverter larger then what you plan to use it for. (been there... done that.) I have not done the math, but my own experience and learning from others, perhaps the Xantrex, or other GOOD company inverter; DR 1524 might get you by, but the 2424 gives you a little more room.... as you most likely will start adding more loads. One battery bank of four six volt batts should be fine. You can always add more batts later if needed. (consider space, installation and venting.)

Good luck.

Comments/input welcome. Regards, Ringo.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
don't forget the newer pCs have stronger processor chips that draw a lot of current (desktops) especially the AMD chips. So if she has a Powerful PC desktop and a nice modern laptop with duo processor chip and a 25 inch TV and a fan and 2 bulbs lit up, her 1K might reach the max quickly. The PCs of old days were not current hogs, the today's computers are. So better stay with a 2K and if later on if your needs grow, you are all set. I know a place in santiago where they sell very cheap inverters without Guarantees. this means you don't pay for Guarantee upfront and save money. Almost all domincian made inverters have triplite motherboard inside. they all work fine if you don't do something stupid to it. They are safe and good. They cost only a few hundred pesos to repair. I have 2 dominican made inverters and I am a happy customer for 7 yrs.
AZB

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks again guys! You guys are the best............ AZB I will get myself to Santiago in the next week or so and both get an inverter and see you!!!