I, the Tenant. .... problems with Landlord

Feb 7, 2007
This is my situation:

I am paying RD$8,500 monthly rent for 2BR apt in Higuey. The lease expired on 1st of June. Landlord wants to renew contract as of August 1 with rent increase RD$1,500, which is almost 18% and renew the contract for 6 months only (was 1 year previously).

I probably would move within, or at the end of, the mentioned 6 months.

I know the law permits 10% increase and only after the mutual agreement.

I know I can deposit the rent money in owner's name in Banco Agricola and go on like that if I do not agree with rent increase.

And I know it's always to be on good terms with a landlord than bad ones. He has a taller downstairs and has virtual unlimited access around the property (sides, roof, etc) to make go on small "vengance stuff".

And it would not have come to this had I not asked strongly the landlord to put on window protections on my 2nd floor apartment (the door has protection) after my 3rd robbery last week. (1st robbery no protection, 2nd robbery - afterwards a door protection was put in, 3rd robbery - entry through window). Landlord was strongly opposed to run expenses of the window protection claiming the contract did not require him to do so and that I accepted appartment "AS IS" when I rented. So we entered into a verbal argument and he came up with "I will need the appartment for my son", later changed to "rent increase".

Now my question is: Should I accept the rent increase or fight? If I stay for 6 months, the rent difference is RD$9,000. Would I be better off to accept that or pay for a lawyer and fight, and run a risk of the "small vengance stuff" trying to make my life miserable?

My second question: Do I have any legal right to claim the window protection be put in place after 3 documented robberies?

My third question is: In any case, if he tries to evict me, what minimum time do I have to look for a different accomodations?

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Maybe he's doing it exactly for that reason, because he wants his apartment back, he wants u to move out.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I agree with the others, just bite the bullet and move.

The landlord has NO legal obligation to put window protection on. That is your problem.

You will find it easier in the long run to just find another place, use your deposit as your notice period and be done with it. Sorry to hear it has happened, moving is a hassle.

David34

Mar 3, 2007
It's less of a headache if you just pay then move. My advise is you probably want to make as many friends as you can.

David34

Mar 3, 2007
Off the subject a bit - What is Lic. before a persons name means? If it means Lawyer, there are sure alot of lawyers in DR. What is the comparison in the U.S.? IS it Notary Public

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Off the subject a bit - What is Lic. before a persons name means? If it means Lawyer, there are sure alot of lawyers in DR. What is the comparison in the U.S.? IS it Notary Public

Licenciada/do - Licensed
Which could mean even having a 2 year degree in any field and obtaining that license. So that's why you have so many Licenciados.

David34

Mar 3, 2007
Thanks M.A.R. - so under the persons name it says abogado, does that mean he has studied 2 years of law. What would be an equivalent? Would it be the same as say if I have an Associates Degree in the US for something in the medicine field and then say I'm a doctor??

Could these Lic. Abogado's fight a case in the supreme court in DR?

Thanks

Feb 7, 2007
Licenciado is a widely used term (honor greeting) in Latin America, mainly used by law and business graduates. Being "Licenciado" does not necessarily mean a person only has studied 2 years.

Lawyers can be called both Doctor and Licenciado. In some countries (e.g. Mexico) use of Licenciado is more widespread than Doctor.

Same honor greeting goes for Ingeniero and Doctor.

something like along the lines of introductory conversation:

P1: Le presento al Licenciado Sanchez
P2: Licenciado...
P1: Licenciado, y este es el Ingeniero Rodriguez
P3: Placer de conocerlo, Ingeniero

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Sorry that is all in Spanish....

Licenciatura

La licenciatura es una carrera universitaria de larga duraci?n (entre 4 y 6 a?os), diferente a la arquitectura y la ingenier?a, en la que generalmente se imparten cursos m?s especializados que en una diplomatura. Otra diferencia rese?able es que en general, las licenciaturas se crean en torno a un ?rea del saber (Qu?mica, Literatura, Derecho, etc.), mientras que las diplomaturas y otras carreras de menor duraci?n se suelen configurar atendiendo a las necesidades de un oficio concreto (?ptica, Ingenier?a T?cnica, Enfermer?a). Las licenciaturas se imparten en las facultades.

Dependiendo de la universidad en la que se curse, una licenciatura puede conformar una unidad acad?mica independiente, o ser parte de unos estudios segmentados en los que la Diplomatura es el primer ciclo y la Licenciatura es el segundo ciclo. Consecuentemente, a los estudios de M?ster y Doctorado se los conoce como estudios de tercer ciclo. El conjunto de estudios de diplomaturas, licenciaturas y doctorados pertenece a la Educaci?n Superior y son llamados Estudios Superiores.

En el mundo anglosaj?n las licenciaturas se conocen como Bachelor's Degree, y normalmente se distingue entre letras y ciencias: BA o Bachelor of Arts y BS o Bachelor of Science.

so Licenciado = Bachelor degree

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
From what I understand, like in many other Latin American countries, in law, a Licenciado or Licenciada is somebody who has earned a law degree (university studies). There seems to be no need to have a Doctors title (doctorado) to practice law legally.

... J-D.

Sep 19, 2005
well since we dont know your financial status...it isnt easy to come up with the most appropriate answer....but in the long run, it is easier to pay thatn pay and put up with BS, ie missing and stolen stuff....more and more robberies possibly.

the kicker is the second floor windows are still a problem......and you are already a target to someone.

Id say bite a nasty tasting bullet and move NOW

bob

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
It is HIS property not YOURS. You cannot force on him YOUR terms. Be thankful to him for giving you nice and cheap roof over your head for so long.
Be considerate and nice to people who do good for you.

Just common sense.

IMHO.

This is my situation:

I am paying RD$8,500 monthly rent for 2BR apt in Higuey. The lease expired on 1st of June. Landlord wants to renew contract as of August 1 with rent increase RD$1,500, which is almost 18% and renew the contract for 6 months only (was 1 year previously).

I probably would move within, or at the end of, the mentioned 6 months.

I know the law permits 10% increase and only after the mutual agreement.

I know I can deposit the rent money in owner's name in Banco Agricola and go on like that if I do not agree with rent increase.

And I know it's always to be on good terms with a landlord than bad ones. He has a taller downstairs and has virtual unlimited access around the property (sides, roof, etc) to make go on small "vengance stuff".

And it would not have come to this had I not asked strongly the landlord to put on window protections on my 2nd floor apartment (the door has protection) after my 3rd robbery last week. (1st robbery no protection, 2nd robbery - afterwards a door protection was put in, 3rd robbery - entry through window). Landlord was strongly opposed to run expenses of the window protection claiming the contract did not require him to do so and that I accepted appartment "AS IS" when I rented. So we entered into a verbal argument and he came up with "I will need the appartment for my son", later changed to "rent increase".

Now my question is: Should I accept the rent increase or fight? If I stay for 6 months, the rent difference is RD$9,000. Would I be better off to accept that or pay for a lawyer and fight, and run a risk of the "small vengance stuff" trying to make my life miserable?

My second question: Do I have any legal right to claim the window protection be put in place after 3 documented robberies?

My third question is: In any case, if he tries to evict me, what minimum time do I have to look for a different accomodations?

David34

Mar 3, 2007
Thank you very much M.A.R. for the complete and thorough definition. Hmmm.... So I guess that the person who gave me their card saying Lic. before their name was a fake, since they didn't understand basic business business functions nor etiquette.

Thanks

Feb 7, 2007
well since we dont know your financial status...it isnt easy to come up with the most appropriate answer....but in the long run, it is easier to pay thatn pay and put up with BS, ie missing and stolen stuff....more and more robberies possibly.

the kicker is the second floor windows are still a problem......and you are already a target to someone.

Id say bite a nasty tasting bullet and move NOW

bob

It is not a matter of my finances. Obviously nobody wants to pay more than what is a going rate.

A going rate for a nice, spacious 2 BR APT here in Higuey is 8-9K pesos. Houses go for 9-11K for 3 BR casas.

So if somebody wants to ask more than the going rate, obviously I am not happy.

My decision is to start looking for something (it is not easy to find a nice APT that conforms to my requirements, and in a good zone, and zone that has 21hrs of power). In the meantime I will accept his increased rent, and I will use up the deposits and afterwards I'll move. In the meantime I will have my two dogs sleeping in with me and will not plan any trip outside for more than 1 day before moving.

Thanks to all for their suggestions.

Feb 7, 2007
It is HIS property not YOURS. You cannot force on him YOUR terms. Be thankful to him for giving you nice and cheap roof over your head for so long.
Be considerate and nice to people who do good for you.

Just common sense.

IMHO.

Oh Sir, you are SOO wrong! You are probably new to the DR, aren't you?

"I" should be thankful? I am not a beggar! This is a business! He provides house, I pay the rent. Nothing more, nothing less. I never pay my rent late, I maintain the APT in extremely good conditions, and I am a good tenant. 10x better tenant than a regular dominican family. My former neighbors (a guy sub-director in unnamed Bavaro resort, wife head of reception in the same unnamed resort) left APT with 4 months unpaid rent, large electric bill, and apt in bad conditions.

Now YOU should get some things straight.

Yes, I COULD force him on my terms, because that's the law here in the DR. Now, as was mentioned, it is a cost-benefit analysis. For 1500 pesos per month for the next 2 or so months it'll take me to find something, it is not worth fighting or getting a lawyer take the case (even though I have a local lawyer that handles my affairs).

Feb 7, 2007
The only hassle will be the physical moving. I have pretty nice decorations in my APT (wooden fillings, etc.) which will need to be re-done in my new APT.

Also, moving phone/DSL, cable and electric (I have 220V) will be a hassle, and it will entail paying bribes to technicians to get things done on time. At least, fortunately, one knows whom to call and pay.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I just have to login to post here. This is one of the funniest threads I've ever seen on DR1. You're posting this huge "dear abby" question about a cost difference of US$25/month, or a total difference of US $309/year? Your rent will be $300/month, right? Compare that with a 2bedroom anywhere else in the world.

Yet you can write in perfect english, you have DSL and 220V in your apartment (so you probably have good AC, right?), and you're going to move over an increased US$309 for 12 months? How much will it cost you to move and get set up in your new place????

DR1 is amazing sometimes!!

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Exactly for this reason I will never be a landlord.
As sooner or later you run into a tenant like this. Who will demand everything for nothing. Will be permanently unhappy and complaining.

And trying to litigate you to death.

I was 100% sure that all people of this type were left behind three hour flight back North.

Yes, I see, I was SOOO WRONG.