Cutting down trees in Santo Domingo

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I believe the government finally acknowledge that the reason they are substituting the traditional trees is for crime fighting reason. The rationale is that it is very difficult to hide behind the trunk of a palm tree, and that a traditional tree trunk may stop a round shot from an automatic rifle, while the traditional tree would not.

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
"And access to the 9-mile Malecon seaside walkway, sandwiched between the Caribbean shore and the city's high-rise hotel strip, has been blocked for all but hotel guests, a move the civic association says aims to banish Dominicans from the beach"

Can they do that? Dominicans can't use public space in their own city? What if you are visiting and staying with friends, you can't walk along the Malecon? That's insane!

At least it seems the protesters have put at a temporary stop to the madness.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
"Although Dominican coastal resorts attract 3.7 million vacationers each year, few venture into a capital that is a teeming slum except for a few blocks around the Spanish colonial landmarks."

Santo Domingo (D.N.) a "teeming slum" except for some areas around the "Spanish colonial landmarks"?

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
The Malec?n is not closed to visitors. The Ayuntamiento (city government) evicted all the vendors and does not illuminate the ocean side areas at night anymore.

People can still visit the Malec?n as they please.

Supposedly there will be renovations.........on a Caribbean time schedule. :tired:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Roberto Salcedo refer to this article not too long ago. Obviously he had news of this article before it was published, because he clearly mentioned the LA Times.

This is the same anti-government chirade that occurs with whatever government that is in power.

-NALs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
"Although Dominican coastal resorts attract 3.7 million vacationers each year, few venture into a capital that is a teeming slum except for a few blocks around the Spanish colonial landmarks."

Santo Domingo (D.N.) a "teeming slum" except for some areas around the "Spanish colonial landmarks"?
Roberto Salcedo did said that this report is part of the anti-Dominican campaign which is attempting to discredit the DR as a tourist destination. I'll see if I can find the article where Salcedo is quoted saying such.

-NALs

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
Roberto Salcedo did said that this report is part of the anti-Dominican campaign which is attempting to discredit the DR as a tourist destination. I'll see if I can find the article where Salcedo is quoted saying such.

-NALs

Who wants to discredit the DR as a tourist destination? (except maybe a few bad apples on here)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Sindico DN dice sectores locales e internacionales montan campa?a de descr?dito contr

List?n Diario July 18 said:
El s?ndico del Distrito Nacional, Roberto Salcedo, afirm? hoy que sectores locales vinculados a intereses internacionales han articulado una campa?a de descr?dito contra la Rep?blica Dominicana.

Tambi?n, al ser cuestionado por los periodistas sobre un reportaje que publicara el pasado domingo el peri?dico estadounidense ?Los ?ngeles Times? criticando el proceso de arborizaci?n que ejecuta el cabildo en varias zonas de la Capital, dijo que estos sectores no est?n escatimando ni recursos ni posibilidades para desacreditar al pa?s internacionalmente.

?Cuando usted ve que hasta el tema del arbolado es abordado supuestamente por un peri?dico de los ?ngeles ese es el mejor indicador de que esos grupos o esos intereses, que hoy se han dado a la tarea de crear una mala imagen de la Rep?blica Dominicana, est?n tratando por todos los medios de crear este nivel de descr?dito hacia el pa?s?, dijo Salcedo.

Here is the story.

-NALs

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
Thanks for the story NALs.
I still don't get it though. What international interests would benefit from this? My spanish isn't that great, maybe I missed something.
Did they really cut all those trees down? I'm just worried about the people who need the shade and the beauty of the trees.

Hey, at least they say they'll plant more.
Those others were only, oh, 100'S OF YEARS OLD! ?????

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006

I am still really hung up on this excerpt from the article. This was not an editorial piece but the above statement is clearly opinion (a bogus one if you ask me). Where's the basis for a statement like this?

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
Bogus Article?

Mariano
Stamford, CT
Comments (from the original story link at beginning of thread)

"This story is bogus and misleading. Go to www.adn.gov.do which is Santo Domingo's city government website. The entire project is clearly and in depth described there, available to anyone with the slightest inclination of knowing the truth. And why did Carol Williams mentions that Santo Domingo is a teeming slum except for a few city blocks? Its obvious this person has NEVER been to Santo Domingo. Go to google earth and zoom into Santo Domingo to see just how many areas are not "teeming slums" and then visit the place. Why do people write stuff about places they have not been too?"

The 'teeming slum' line seems to be making people pretty angry.

Here is the English version (poorly translated) of Santo Domingo's city government site:
Translated version of http://www.adn.gov.do/

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
"And access to the 9-mile Malecon seaside walkway, sandwiched between the Caribbean shore and the city's high-rise hotel strip, has been blocked for all but hotel guests, a move the civic association says aims to banish Dominicans from the beach"

Can they do that? Dominicans can't use public space in their own city? What if you are visiting and staying with friends, you can't walk along the Malecon? That's insane!

At least it seems the protesters have put at a temporary stop to the madness.

While any coast/shoreline is technacally a beach, that journalist kind go overboard by sort-of making most people who generally read the LA Times, and whatever other newspaper in the U.S. this article was sindicated to, think of the Santo Domingo coast as some sort-of perculiar Copa Cabana, one that "has been blocked for all but hotel guests" - one in which the locals are completely forbidden to tread in to.

If anything, the opposite is generally true, ..the curren mayor has the Malecon closed during the weekend (or atleast 'till last time I was there) so that people from the teeming slum could use the road as though is were an urban park (i.e. for skating, walking etc), as well as a venue to to listen for free to city sponsored live music, and other programmed and non-programmed events, ...

301307604_7b7b4b5fc8.jpg

301307681_b32742d6b7.jpg

301307654_3742ddc01f.jpg

Last edited:

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
aegapm, Thank you so much.
I thought there was something odd about that story on Santo Domingo. Everyone I have talked to that either lives there or has been there has disagreed about the assessments made in the LA Times article. I find it very interesting that so many people, including myself, can be misled at times by what they read. The photos you posted are great!

Last edited: