Default Cutting down trees in Santo Domingo

This doesn't seem very good.

Santo Domingo ripping out trees

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

They call this "Progress"

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe the government finally acknowledge that the reason they are substituting the traditional trees is for crime fighting reason. The rationale is that it is very difficult to hide behind the trunk of a palm tree, and that a traditional tree trunk may stop a round shot from an automatic rifle, while the traditional tree would not.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

"And access to the 9-mile Malecon seaside walkway, sandwiched between the Caribbean shore and the city's high-rise hotel strip, has been blocked for all but hotel guests, a move the civic association says aims to banish Dominicans from the beach"

Can they do that? Dominicans can't use public space in their own city? What if you are visiting and staying with friends, you can't walk along the Malecon? That's insane!

At least it seems the protesters have put at a temporary stop to the madness.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

"Although Dominican coastal resorts attract 3.7 million vacationers each year, few venture into a capital that is a teeming slum except for a few blocks around the Spanish colonial landmarks."

Santo Domingo (D.N.) a "teeming slum" except for some areas around the "Spanish colonial landmarks"?

Post Thanks / Like

so is the malecon still closed to visitors? I think I missed that in the article

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The Malecón is not closed to visitors. The Ayuntamiento (city government) evicted all the vendors and does not illuminate the ocean side areas at night anymore.

People can still visit the Malecón as they please.

Supposedly there will be renovations.........on a Caribbean time schedule.

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by memphisj View Post
    This doesn't seem very good.

Santo Domingo ripping out trees
    Roberto Salcedo refer to this article not too long ago. Obviously he had news of this article before it was published, because he clearly mentioned the LA Times.

This is the same anti-government chirade that occurs with whatever government that is in power.

-NALs

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aegap View Post
    "Although Dominican coastal resorts attract 3.7 million vacationers each year, few venture into a capital that is a teeming slum except for a few blocks around the Spanish colonial landmarks."

Santo Domingo (D.N.) a "teeming slum" except for some areas around the "Spanish colonial landmarks"?
    Roberto Salcedo did said that this report is part of the anti-Dominican campaign which is attempting to discredit the DR as a tourist destination. I'll see if I can find the article where Salcedo is quoted saying such.

-NALs

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NALs View Post
    Roberto Salcedo did said that this report is part of the anti-Dominican campaign which is attempting to discredit the DR as a tourist destination. I'll see if I can find the article where Salcedo is quoted saying such.

-NALs
    Who wants to discredit the DR as a tourist destination? (except maybe a few bad apples on here)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast