heads up for those departing the DR

Sep 19, 2005
I saw this on the DR1 news.

Increasing security at airports
The chief of the Specialized Airport Security Corps (CESA), Major General Juan Bautista Rojas Tabar has put the nation's airports on high alert after a warning from the United States Transportation Security Administration (TSA) about possible terrorist attacks. Rojas Tabar, quoted in Listin Diario, said that airports will be on level three warning and as a result, vigilance has been stepped at airports.

I know that they let a lot of people go through the xtray machines without doing hand searches. Maybe now though more bags will get closer looks. which could cause longer delays. I know STI has been getting better and better at processing the travelers. It really is a good experience usually.

but now it might get bogged down some....they do a pre screen , where they have tables to randomly open bags and to look closer at stuff they saw on the Xray machine

I got snagged once at the second xray machine before i checked in because of a 4battery Dcell flashlight I had in my luggage that still had the batteries in it.

he said that was a NO NO....that i need to remove the batteries from flashlights .

Funny on the way down that trip the flashlight was full of 9 mm ammunition I was bringing for a friend... they must have seen it at JFK, because TSA went into my bag, and opened the flashlight....but they left the ammo!!! and put the cap back on the flashlight!!! they actually left one round loose in the bag....but STI didnt catch it on arrival........

when the STI guy showed me my flashlight on the xray machine , you could easily see the batteries through the aluminum flashlight(maglight)....

bob

Jan 5, 2006
Funny on the way down that trip the flashlight was full of 9 mm ammunition I was bringing for a friend... they must have seen it at JFK, because TSA went into my bag, and opened the flashlight....but they left the ammo!!! and put the cap back on the flashlight!!! they actually left one round loose in the bag....but STI didnt catch it on arrival........
I'm surprised that TSA didn't go into DEFCON 3 or something similar when they found ammo in your lugagge. That's definately a prohibited item, but I guess that they're too busy trying to stop people from sneaking through with a 16oz bottle of water or a 4oz cologne/perfume. :paranoid:

Sep 19, 2005
I'm surprised that TSA didn't go into DEFCON 3 or something similar when they found ammo in your lugagge. That's definately a prohibited item, but I guess that they're too busy trying to stop people from sneaking through with a 16oz bottle of water or a 4oz cologne/perfume. :paranoid:

ammo and even guns in checked luggage is not a no no....

it is perfectly ok,( as far as the US and TSA is concerned)

that stuff isnt allowed in carry on bags though

STI wouldnt allow it to come into the country if they found it...because leonel is stopping the crime wave by making all the bad guys run out of bullets.............the country should be safe in 20 years when there is no ammo left.......

bob

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
No 'High Alert'

Reliable sources say the airports in the DR are NOT on a level 3 alert and no TSA warning pertaining to same, as reported in Listin Diario.
Again, yellow journalism.

Sep 19, 2005
Reliable sources say the airports in the DR are NOT on a level 3 alert and no TSA warning pertaining to same, as reported in Listin Diario.
Again, yellow journalism.

ha ha ha...you calling hipocrito a chicken journalist?????????????:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

bob

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
The security at STI is tight enough, you have to go through more scans & searches than JFK & LGA put together. I didn't know 9mm ammo is that scarce in the DR, you better be careful smuggling that stuff in here, hahaha.

Sep 19, 2005
oh Richard you know that was an accident......

i had forgot that I had stored some hardball ammo in my flashlight.

That never happened to you?????????

bob

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i have never been stopped in the past at either SDQ or EWR...but in may i was stopped at both airports...and i noticed that a lot of other people were too...everyone regular travelers and all surprised.

I had a feeling it was more to drug enforcement rather than terrorism tho.

too funny tho. The guy in newark asked me if i was traveling for buisiness or pleasure...and i tell him pleasure...he opens my first bag and a box of condoms fell out!!! I just smiled at him and told him "i SAID pleasure!" lol.

but seriously tho. I Have never thought as the DR as being a terror target...but it DOES make sence. They have hit major tourist areas in the past.

Sep 19, 2005
sure ANY plane that will eventually land in the US is a target for terrorism.....and it would easier to get stuff on a plane in a country that is know to willing accept bribes for almost anything.....

actually kinda scary.....since i fly into JFK on my return flights......that would be a prime target.......

does anyone think that security at some of the DR airports is a tough as those in america

I certainly dont think they are even close......

although I see security walking a dog around all the bags....i think it is probably for drugs and not explosives though...

bob

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
security in the DR ? i think it's more like "going through the motions" compared to the US and other countries. in the US you see confiscated item bins in some airports, ever seen one in the DR ? maybe they should check the employees for confiscated items.
once a unnamed employee at POP that i know took some alcohol from a tourist. i was just arriving and later on that night we drank their liquor over in Montellano!! :laugh: